500MB of free online storage that can be private, shared or public.
This has been coming for a little while, and then when it arrived, it was initially only for users in the US. But now, it has been activated for customers in the UK. And this has some really useful applications in education. SkyDrive gives users 500MB of free online file storage - password protected by their Windows Live ID. And they can be stored in private, shared or public folders - allowing you to decide who has access to each folder.
What could you do with it? Well, things like...
- Backup up important files, using personal folders.
- Access files from any PC with Internet access - making it easy to move files between home and school - for you or your students.
- Work on a project with colleagues or amongst students, using shared folders.
- Publish files, so that students can read them, but control their access so that they cannot add files or delete them - useful for homework assignments?
Some of the features added to this Beta version are:
- An upgraded look and feel – new graphics to go along with your new features!
- “Also on SkyDrive” – easily get back to the SkyDrives you’ve recently visited
- You can see thumbnails of your image files
- Drag and drop your files right onto your SkyDrive, using the handy applet
- Embed your stuff anywhere – with just a few clicks, post your files and folders anywhere you can post html