Preview – Mac Office 2008

Around a year ago, Microsoft issued a press release announcing its intent to deliver Office 2008 for Mac.  Well, it seems that Microsoft is now even closer and there is a preview article on Computerworld with quotations from the Microsoft Mac Business Unit here.

For a more detailed overview of what’s under the bonnet on Mac Office 2008 then please visit this site.  It has some great graphics of the new release plus access to the Mactopia newsletter.

The official release for Mac Office 2008 will be at Macworld where you can join Microsoft if you’re lucky enough to be over there.

I know of one University that has been on the beta for Mac Office 2008 and is ready to start installing the final release once they’re able to get hold of it.  IMHO one of the main features of this new release is that it is all about re-connecting users with the power of Office.  As well as this, there are some significant updates to the components in the suite which should impress.

I’m not a Mac user but I look forward to having a tour of Mac Office 2008 with friends and getting their opinion of the new version.

1. Dan says:

Before I rush out and get the student and teacher edition, are there any plans for a version of the Ultimate Steal for mac users? 🙂

2. Rayfl says:

Hi Dan,

I’m not aware of any plans, but I will check up for you.

Ray

3. AndyRae says:

I also am keen to know about the Ultimate Steal for Mac Office 2008 now that it has been released.

4. Rayfl says:

Hi Andy & Dan,

I’ve just had the word down from the team, and unfortunately it won’t be available on the Ultimate Steal offer. Sorry.

The current going rate for the Office 2008 for Mac "Home & Student" version appears to be just below £90 online… I know the deal isn’t as good, but it’s the best I can offer

Ray

5. AndyRae says:

Hi Rayfl,

Many thanks for following up on the query.

I’m disappointed that the powers that be have decided to discriminate against MacOS in this way and unless the University software shop has a price approaching the Ultimate Steal offer then I won’t be purchasing and will continue with Office 2004.

Thanks again for following up and hopefully you can feed my answer back up the chain.

regards,

Andy

6. Rayfl says:

Hi Andy,

Don’t take it as discrimination against Mac users. It’s more that the offer was launched as a limited offer from Sept 07-April 08, and the Office 2008 for Mac launch has only just happened, so difficult to retrospectively fit in….

Sorry

I will pass on your feedback too.

Ray

7. Dan says:

Thanks for getting back to us Ray. I might have to be waiting a while to upgrade to 2008 if there isn’t such an offer 🙂

Dan

8. James says:

Hi Ray,

It does seem unfair – even three months of the offer would be enough for many people to benefit from the deal.

Regards,

James

9. Dan says:

Posted ths on a different entry here, but thought I’d update this thread in case anybody is still checking it. you can get office 2008 at http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Office_Software-list.aspx for £35.