Since the launch of Windows 8, users have been able to delve into a huge range of new apps to play with. Developers in public sector organisations around the country are discovering the new opportunity that the Windows Store offers them to design, build, and make available their apps to customers in over 200 markets.
To help demonstrate this, we have pulled together just some of the marvellous public sector apps which have recently been created for the Windows Store… get inspired!
FloodAlerts (developed by Shoothill) – FloodAlerts is a free to use application provided to users in England and Wales, with localised flood warnings updated every 15 minutes. The Application, developed by Shoothill, takes data provided by the Environment Agency and transforms it in to a visible layer overlaid on a Bing Map, so you can assess your flood risk more accurately. When a flood alert is issued and affects your monitored location, you will then receive a notification on your Windows PC or Tablet device. This gives you a direct link to the relevant alert(s) on the map, helping you assess the situation as it develops.
- Real-time flood warning and hydromatic data.
- Windows Azure, Bing Maps live map showing flood warnings in your Post Code.
- 1st Social Networking UK Government solution via Facebook.
- Environment Agency information about their flood data here.
- Partner: http://www.shoothill.com/floodalerts/.
Lovecleanstreets (developed by BBITS) – Report environmental crime and issues easily to your local authority and have them resolved worldwide! Your report will be sent to the relevant authority and you can be kept informed of progress in the reports section on the app or through text and email messages and the Love Clean Streets web site – http://lovecleanstreets.org
- An award-winning service that enables anyone to upload photographs of environmental problems that require action by a local authority. Creating international interest.
- Gives citizens the power to improve their immediate environment. Lewisham reduced graffiti complaints by 30 per cent, improve clean-up time by 87 per cent and improve resident satisfaction during a period of falling spend.
- Partner (UK): www.bbits.co.uk.
- Lewisham Council Case study here, ITV News here.
London Underground Trains App (developed by mxDATA Ltd) – London Tube Map is based on mxData’s highly successful Tube Map app and is now available on Windows 8. Access now on a desktop, tablet and laptop. Stay one step ahead of the commuters by planning your tube journey before you leave home or the office. From finding a station, planning a journey, checking departure boards to so much more. Download it now for FREE.
- Transport for London, underground trains service.
- Real-time Trains and railway lines information.
- Real-time train data data hosted on Windows Azure. Azure case study here.
Health Choices (developed by 3chillies) – Health Choices brings information about NHS services in England and health information to your fingertips. This App has been developed in collaboration with NHS Choices who supply all NHS service details and condition / treatment information. Integration with Microsoft® HealthVault® adds the ability to save condition and NHS service information against a secure personal account.
- NHS Choices web service as an App.
- Local doctors, pharmacies, health information.
- GPS enabled.
Patient.co.uk (developed by EMIS) – Download the Patient.co.uk app to search our database of patient information leaflets on health, conditions and diseases. Each leaflet is written by our expert authoring team of independent GPs, and passes the information standard – which means it is trusted, high quality, evidence-based health information.
- Portal for patients to seek help on health issues, information, advice.
- Educational material for medical staff.
- Information on medicines.
- Scalable, cloud hosted portal on Windows Azure.
- Web site: http://www.patient.co.uk/.
Bus Checker London (developed by FatAttitude) – It’s here – the UK’s best-selling travel app brings Live Bus Countdowns for London to your Windows 8 Device! Now you can carry live bus arrivals times in your pocket, wherever you are – for all of London’s 20,000 bus stops. No more sprinting down the road then finding the bus is ten minutes away! So that’s more time at home. Or in bed.
What’s more, Bus Checker doesn’t use a timetable – it gets the real, live information for each bus as it moves around London; meaning it’s both accurate and reliable. Plus, Bus Checker shows you street-level route maps for all London’s 700 bus routes, while allowing you to search by place name or postcode… perfect for planning a journey somewhere new.
- Powered by Azure and Bing Maps.
- Uses Transport for London’s real-time bus feed.
Modern Jago – a haven for developers!
We have a great new creative space in London, ideal for your developers to go and create your next brilliant public sector apps. Best of all – it’s free. Check out our blog about it here!