The Information Commissioner (ICO) is increasingly proactive in publicising organisations that are in serious breach of data protection and privacy and can now levy fines of up to £500,000 for each serious breach of data protection. The news section of the ICO website identifies a variety of public and private sector organisations that have recently been found wanting in their protection of online information and identities.
Microsoft has put considerable investment and focus into information security for many years in initiatives such as Trustworthy Computing. In the coming months we are running a series of web seminars that will address a range of ICT topics that are relevant to our Public Sector customers. The first of these that I would like to bring to your attention is one that we are running on Wednesday September 28th at 11:00 on identity management with the focus on telling you more about Increasing Security and Reducing Costs with Forefront Identity Manager (FIM) 2010.
The webinar will address specific organisational information security challenges, including:
- The burden of complexity and cost to IT departments managing identities across heterogeneous systems
- High help-desk costs associated with password resets and smart card deployment
- Loss of end-user productivity because users cannot manage the routine aspects of their own identity and access
- Security gaps and risk to the business due to non-compliance with internal and external regulations
The technology focus of the webinar is Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager 2010 – Microsoft’s comprehensive solution for managing identities, credentials, and identity-based access policies across heterogeneous environments. FIM empowers users with self-service password reset and embeds self-help tools in Microsoft Office so users can manage routine aspects of identity and access and gives IT professionals rich administrative tools and enhanced automation. As a result organisations can take advantage of the following enhanced security, compliance and cost-reduction benefits:
- Reduce Cost – automate and centralise identity management (FIM can reduce the cost of managing the identity of a user by over 75%)
- Reduce Risk – implement and enforce secure policies
- Drive Compliance – implement and enforce compliance with your organisation’s information security policy and external regulatory requirements
- Provide a Foundation for Innovation – enable the efficient and secure adoption of innovative solutions such as cloud computing and unified communications
You can register to participate in our webinar on Wednesday September 28th (11:00-12:00) on how to Increase Security and Reduce Costs with Forefront Identity Manager (FIM) 2010 here
You can find out more about Microsoft’s Forefront family of security technologies delivers comprehensive, end-to-end solutions, both on-premises and in the cloud, to help protect users and enable secure access virtually anywhere here
Posted by Ian