There are 9 million citizens in the UK who do not have regular access to a PC and are not enjoying the benefits of the internet. For many of your customers, and in many of the communities you support, the last significant barrier to getting people connected is the cost of a PC at home. BBC research shows that everything you do to inspire and encourage people – and to give them the right skills to go online – will gradually slip away if there is no PC at home to keep the excitement alive and provide easy, instant access to the internet. It’s not enough to go online once – our goal is to make it possible for them to stay online – and to feel the wonderful benefits of Skype-ing with friends and family – unlimited video calls to any part of the world; to find information just when they need it; to make the most of learning opportunities and develop their particular passions. You can help your customers overcome this final barrier by pointing them towards the GetOnline@Home website – the best place to buy a no-nonsense, affordable computer, which will give them a chance to stay online for good and to enjoy all the benefits we take for granted.
- Phone or online purchasing for a powerful refurbished PC with new flatscreen, keyboard and mouse
- The latest version of Windows (Windows 7); and a range of Microsoft software for documents, emails, pictures and more; and free anti-virus for life
- The option to choose a broadband package from a range of specially tailored offers for beginners
- A collection of useful sites and software to delight beginners and to open up the web
- A great set of Quick Start guides and support in the form of telephone helplines and warranties etc
If you think that this would be a good offer or solution for any of our customers or their communities – please help us to get the message out as far and as wide as possible. To make it easy to share the news about this offer, we have developed a presentation (attached) and a range of materials, all available to download from “Support for your Computer” section of the GetOnline@Home website:
- Posters, leaflets and quick start guides
- Web banner graphics which you can drop into your website or portal and hyperlink to www.getonlineathome.org
- “Share IT” buttons on the home page of the website
- A graphic that you can use to personalise your email signature and hyperlink to www.getonlineathome.org
We will expand and develop the GetOnline@Home offers over time and for anyone who would prefer to have a laptop, rather than a desktop, we are aiming to have a laptop offer available before Christmas. And we expect that, if take-up continues to be good, we will be able to reduce the price of the “open to all” refurbished PC at the same time. What we can promise, though, is that this site will always have fantastic computer packages for beginners. The GetOnline@Home site truly offers the best in breed for no-nonsense, affordable computers. The sale price does not include the cost of a huge marketing campaign – so we are depending on you to share the news and hope you will use the resources above to reach out as widely as you can – to boost the number of beginners who are able to go Online @ Home.
Also, the GetOnline@Home site is hosted on Windows Azure and is ready to cope with whatever demand you can generate to the site!