Just one of the services we offer in the ADC team is technology / product workshops. Please find details below of the ‘WCF in a Day’ workshop we currently offer. For existing customers, if you would like take advantage of this workshop within your organisation, please contact your ADC. If you are not currently engaged with Application Development Consulting and are interested in this workshop, please contact ADCinfo@microsoft.com.
Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) is a set of .NET technologies for building and running connected systems using a service-oriented approach. WCF provides a way to build secure, reliable, and transacted services along with interoperability to other technologies or platforms. The service-oriented programming model of WCF is built on the Microsoft .NET Framework and simplifies development with a unified model. WCF provides capabilities that are composable and extensible and that includes many different transports, security systems, messaging patterns, encodings, network topologies, and hosting models.
The flexible and the extensible nature of WCF can pose many challenges. We recognise the decisions faced by many of our customers who are currently using WCF or are planning to unify their distributed applications using WCF. To help with this, we have put together a one day workshop that takes architects and developers on a tour of WCF and digs deep into some of its core concepts such as bindings, instance and concurrency management, serialization and hosting. Our aim is to make this day as interactive as possible by providing a set of relevant hands-on exercises for you.
We cover the followings core areas in this workshop:
- Architecture and overview
- WCF contracts
- Versioning and serialization
- Client implementation
- Instance and concurrency management
- Web programming model (REST, JSON, Syndication)
- Tracing and debugging
- Error handling
Architects and developers with a good knowledge of:
- .NET Framework 2.0
- A communication technology like Web Services, MSMQ or .NET Remoting
Ideally the C# programming language (used in the hands-on labs).
– BUSINESS NEEDS:
Ideal for organisations who are looking to unify various programming models for communication and follow a service-oriented approach to application integration.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the inspiration and architecture behind WCF
- Understand the hosting options for WCF services
- Understand the options for building client proxies
- Understand how to handle errors in WCF services
- Understand how to build RESTful services
- Understand how to choose the appropriate binding
- Understand how to trace and debug WCF services
- Understand what is new in .NET 3.5 and .NET 3.5 SP1