Windows Store now supports the International Age Rating Coalition’s (IARC) age rating system is now being rolled out in phases throughout January
New single workflow: IARC for all regional and international age ratings
The IARC rating system is a global rating and age classification system for digitally-delivered games and apps. With IARC, you complete a single questionnaire about the content in your app during submission and Dev Center automatically adds regional and international age rating certificates to the Store listing for you. If you change your app’s content, you can update the questionnaire and receive a new rating at any time.
IARC makes it quick and simple to obtain age and content ratings across the globe, making it easier to offer your apps in more countries and markets. There is no cost to you, and the questionnaire can be competed in just a few minutes. The ratings are then automatically generated for:
- Classification Board (ACB) in Australia
- Classificação Indicativa (ClassInd) in Brazil
- Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) in North America
- Pan European Game Information (PEGI) in Europe
- Unterhaltungssoftware Selbstkontrolle (USK) in Germany
- International Age Rating Coalition (IARC) for general purpose
Based on the IARC ratings, Microsoft will then issue three additional rating values: Windows Store rating, a Game Software Rating Regulation (CSRR) for Taiwan, and a Russian Age Rating System (PCBP).
In addition to the automatically generated market-specific age ratings, Dev Center offers the option to add a South Korea age rating. South Korea does not participate in IARC, so if you plan to offer a game in that market, you’ll need to add this rating.
All Windows Store apps and games need to obtain a rating through the IARC rating system
The IARC rating system will be enabled in some accounts starting today, and rolled out to all accounts over the next few weeks. Once your account is enabled with the new workflow:
- You will need to complete the IARC rating questionnaire as part of new app
- You will need to complete the IARC rating questionnaire the first time your current apps have any sort of update (price change, new screenshot, new package, etc.).