Downloading Software from DreamSpark.com with Secure Download Manager

Secure Download Manager

The Secure Download Manager (SDM) is Kivuto’s proprietary software program for managing the secure download of files from DreamSpark.com and institutions DreamSpark ELMS Stores.

Note: The DreamSpark SDM is only available for Windows.

OPERATING SYSTEMS SUPPORTED BY KIVUTO SDM

 Windows XP
 Windows Vista
 Windows 7
 Windows 8
    Windows 8.1
    Mac OSX running Windows via VM Image or BootCamp


WEB BROWSERS SUPPORTED BY KIVUTO SDM

 IE 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Firefox
 Chrome

How do I download and install the SDM?

• To download and install the SDM, sign in to DreamSpark or  DreamSpark premium Institution WebStore using your Username and Password.
  • Place the order for your software. When the order is completed, the Receipt page is displayed.
  • On the Receipt page, click the Start Download button. The Secure Download Manager Installation window is displayed.
  • Click the Download SDM button. The SDM starts downloading.

image

Where can I find the SDM on my computer?

• Once the SDM is successfully downloaded to and installed on your computer, in Windows, the Shortcut to Secure Download Manager.exe icon is displayed on your desktop.
  • For the Mac, the SDM is found in the Application Folder. If you choose to download additional software from the WebStore, you do not need to re-download or re-install the Secure Download Manager unless you have removed it from your system. If you have removed it from your system, the WebStore will prompt you to install it again when you initiate a new download.

How do I download my software?

• Once you have downloaded and installed the SDM, download the .SDX file for your order and then launch that .SDX file. A new window will open. To begin downloading your software, click the Start button. Note: The SDM can only process one order at a time. Do not attempt to start a second instance as it will be ignored.

image

If you have any questions about the new Secure Download Manager contact Kivuto at DreamSpark@kivuto.com.

Further details on DreamSpark Secure Download Manager

SDM FAQ’s

Getting Started with a ELMS Store

Getting Started Guide – http://kivuto.com/dreamspark/DreamSparkGettingStartedGuide_en.pdf

Tutorial Videos for setting up ELMS – Training Videos

DreamSpark for Institutions – Microsoft DreamSpark Program

1. A good friend says:

Hello,

I have a problem. I need to download visual studio professional 2012 BUT i can't.

i downloaded SDM but if i open that or any file related ti that i get: "need to enable active scripting on internet explorer… so i turned it off went to internet explorer(WHICH I NEVER USE) and turned on active scripting and clicked the SDM again at which point it just gave the same message… no download starting whatsoever. i need it for school so i really need some help with that.

Thanx in advance

2. Justin says:

I have the same problem with downloading Win7 and Hyper-V.

Message box appears – "Message from webpage – exception [object Error]"

Am using iexplorer 11, active scripting enabled.

3. Ricky says:

Hello,

Thanx in advance

4. Francois Maritz says:

I got past this issue by running dreamspark.com on IE 10, no sweat. Once downloaded, I could not find the VSE 2012 or 2013 iso files.

After searching, I saw that the release date is used when the iso is written, not the download date.

Hope this helps someone else. You will thus not find the file under the date you downloaded, but under the date Microsoft published it.

Thanks

5. Lee Stott says:

Hi

Sorry to hear your having issues please send any issues or problems to DreamSpark@kivuto.com informing them of the problem and your dreamspark account username/institution of study

6. screwer says:

Is there meanwhile a solution to this problem?

7. Andree says:

Same deal here. object exception. Cant download anything.

8. Albie says:

I had the same problem with exception [object Error] and I ended up fixing it by going into my internet options in IE and restoring the defaults for most of the tabs. Hope this helps!

9. Mario says:

I followed Albie's advice and this fix my problem. I am able to download the program now. Thank you Albie.

10. Naveed says:

I too have found that resetting IE to its default settings makes the download work and we don't get the exception [object error] any more. This will surely help all guys having this problem.

11. windows 8.1 surface says:

SDM gives message that it won't run on this operating system.  Is there a work around so that I can download something from Dream Spark?

12. I hate IE says:

so it don't works for me because i've deinstalled IE, is it right?

13. Pewe says:

Secure Download Manager is a bad joke. I get always the same error "message from webside execption objet error"  – There is no direct support no help to find in net.

14. Stanley says:

I have downloaded the SDM install file but I cant get the installer to run on my PC.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium and the program worked previously on my Windows XP Professional install. I have the SDX files and I need Visual Studio for college. Is there a work around for this problem??

15. Marcey says:

I'm having the same problem as Stanley.  Any thoughts?  It installs fine but will not open.

16. Ryan Williamson says:

I've been repeatedly getting the message " unpacking error, the product did not unpack correctly. Please download the product again." Well I can't download it, the product says it is downloading but stays at 0% for an hours. Is there a number I can call or do you triage tickets via this message board? I need these items for school ASAP.

Thank you in advance.

17. Ryan says:

I am repeatedly getting the following message on 2 of my downloads: "Unpacking error. The product did not unpack properly. Please download the product again." When I start the download again it stays at 0% for hours and no progress appears. Is there a direct support number I can call or do you triage tickets through this message board? I need these items for school ASAP. Please help.

Thank you in advance.

18. disappointed user says:

This must be a bad joke: "The DreamSpark SDM is only available for Windows."

So you expect me to have Windows in order to download Windows??? Where's the point then?

And the list of SDM "features" (from the web store's help page) adds nothing to the capabilities that my browser already has:

– "Resumes unfinished or interrupted downloads from the place where they left off"

-> Could install a download manager plugin to my browser if I really wanted to pause and resume the download.

– "Simple installation wizard"

-> My browser is already installed. Couldn't get easier than that…

– "Multiple files can be downloaded at the same time"

-> My browser can do this.

– "You decide when to download"

-> Yes, with my browser I always decide when to download.

– "Easily handles large files (bigger than 2 GB)"

-> My browser never had a problem with large files.

– "Ensures your files are secure by using encrypted data"

-> My browser perfectly speaks HTTPS.

– "Easy downloading with one click"

-> Nope. I need to install a piece of software first which definitely involves more than one mouse click. BTW: you can't make one-click downloads easier than plain hypertext + browser

So what exactly is this SDM good for?

19. SDM User says:

Worst Download Manager in the world

20. Another user says:

One can only agree to "disappointed user"

This "feature-packed" download manager is a crappy piece of software, more useless than a hole in the head!

21. yet another frustrated student says:

We're short a +1 or "Like" button here, but I agree with "disappointed user"'s post wholeheartedly.

I wanted to get Windows 8.1 on my then Linux-only machine. Got the licence key through my proper DreamSpark channel, then, surprise surprise, there's that "Secure Download Manager" in the way. I got the image through, ahem, alternate means (i.e. it involved magnet links and finding a file that matched the SHA1 on the public MSDN site).

Finally get around to trying said download manager, and I'm not impressed. Not current download speed? Come on. It's already errored three times during the download of another 5GB file and I'm not half way there yet.

Give us a direct link thank you very much, we power users/IT and CS students/devs can deal with the rest.

22. Will Jones says:

I personally think that it is very disappointing that Microsoft use what appears to be a very poor attempt at a download manager. I personally find it unacceptable to wait for 24 hours to download a 2GB file. So my advice is get your serial number from DreamSpark and then download the software from here:- <a href="http://www.techverse.net/…/a&gt;. As far as I can ascertain the software is coming from Microsoft through Digital River, so I don't believe it breaches copyright. Good luck all.

23. Italo Pessoa says:

I'm downloading Visual Studio 2013 Update 4, but it never ends. Somebody knows what's happening? Already got 100% of download, but continues downloading

24. UMD says:

Downloading VS 2012, it wont let me download to particular file folder, so I change file folders and then it starts downloading. Then it wont unpack properly. Requests I download again. Then it just hangs at 0% and I can not get it.

25. TUCler says:

The list of supported OS is incomplete: Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite is supported by the SDM. – I don't know about other versions of OS X though

26. SDM hater says:

I have never seen a program so awful like Secure Download Manager. I hate it. I'll just pirate everything from now on. Seemed like a great option to finally get original Windows thanks to my college, but I can't get it because of SDM. Why isn't there an option to download trough browser anyway, my connection could handle it. No, I have to use SDM, the great download manager so I can never be able to download anything. Thanks, Microsoft. The one thing that worked for me was Visual Studio from MSDNAA because I didn't have to use SDM to get it, but I think I'll uninstall it and get a cracked version instead. That's how much I hate Microsoft because of SDM.

27. Charliebrownau says:

It seems you need a WINDOWS PC with IE and Active Scripts enabled to download the ISO's using the SDX manager which does NOT RESUME if your internet drops offline during download

Rather shithouse system they deploy to get the ISO's , might aswell get the ISO's via other means and just use the serial they provide

Too bad if your using Linux or mac and want a windows ISO from dream spark

28. Marcio says:

After having to deal with SDM a few times I can say for sure that after 20 years using the web and having tried dozens of download managers over the years, including some really crappy ones, SDM got the crown on the worst of all competition. Never seen a software so bad looking, bugged, and useless as SDM. If it really has a purpose that would be making it's users completely frustrated and enraged by making as hard as can be to download anything it was supposed to. Incompetence levels unmesurable on this one.

29. T says:

May I know where else I can look for the SecureDownloadManager.exe besides the shortcut on desktop?

30. Jeff Fried says:

I tried this with Chrome, IE, and Firefox on Windows XP and it doesn't work.  I keep getting scripting errors from JQuery.  On most networks in the US, large files can be downloaded with any problems.  Why does Microsoft have to force us to use a crummy product without any workaround?

31. sabir says:

i need spark dawnloder to ecces my pc

32. jose says:

LIke everyone else, i have an "Active Script" problem and i need the Visual studio 2010 (too bad they onlt have the express version), i can't understand it, why is microsoft so cheap????, thye get towers of money and they can't invest in a working donwloand manager!!!

33. Lee Stott says:

Hi

Over the past year this blog has collected a significant number of posts discussing problems with the Secure Download Manager.

The Secure Download Manager and the Student WebStore are not run by Microsoft, they are run by a 3rd party called Kivuto

Guidance for Students with SDM Issues:

For students having issues with the SDM, please send an email to  dreamspark@kivuto.com and be sure to enter “SDM issue” on the subject line of their message.

SDM Issue emails must include:

•Order #

•A detailed description of the problem, including steps taken and error message.  Screenshots are highly preferred.

DreamSpark Students having any other issue with the service need to get help from their Program Administrator.  Contact the Program Administrator by clicking the help link at the top of the student ELMS Webstore, and then scrolling down to the bottom of the page and clicking Contact Us.

34. Student says:

I mean…would it really kill anyone to share the freaking solution to the problem? Kivuto, DreamSpark, Microsoft… you all obviously work together! Just post the solution HERE, for Christ sake. -___-

35. gan says:

i can complete download software from dreamspark with it steps:

1. Open your dreamspark`s account on IE (new update will better).

2. Then, download software and choose Start Download.

3. If you have been installed sdm, please download sdx file but don't save it on your pc.

4. Choose open and sdm will appear, download it and then Launch.

5. Automatically folder should created and iso file in there.

sorry for my bad english

36. SDM sucks says:

Like everybody else here, I have the same "active script" problem, tried all the solutions posted and nothing worked. And no Lee Stott, I don't have time to write emails, and then wait for days for response. It has been like 2 years since people started complaining about this problem and you did nothing about it. We don't care is it Microsoft or some other company, we just want to able to make our downloads. Is it so hard to provide a direct link ?

37. Lee Stott says:

Over the past year this post has collected a significant number of people having problems with the Secure Download Manager.

Guidance for Students with SDM Issues:

SDM Issue emails must include:

•Order No#

•Ideally include any Screenshots are highly preferred.

Contact the Program Administrator by clicking the help link at the top of the student Webstore, and then scrolling down to the bottom of the page and clicking Contact Us.

38. Joe Smith says:

All,

"Secure download manager" just looks like it opens an internet explorer window without any menu bar or right-click options… If you open the .sdx file with any text editor you will notice its just a link…which is not even https (so I'm not sure how this is secure). Just open the file and paste the link in any browser, then you should have no problem downloading your dreamspark files.

39. Diddler says:

I have the same problem with downloading Win7 pro

My only Question is WHY?

Why i just cant download it via web browser. Why i need a Windows VM on my linux just to download this SDM crap which cant even run a script?????????

40. Radz says:

Hello,

I have a problem, SDM and SDX had been downloaded. First, it instructs me to enable the active scripting on Internet Explorer. I follow all the instructions provided but still did not manage to download the software I ordered. Need you help to fix that prob.

41. SOLVED says:

You MUST use internet explorer to download the SDM (at least I did).  When I tried using firefox the file was there but wouldn't launch or install.  I used IE (version 7) (temporarily set as the default browser) on my windows vista machine and the SDM installed automatically with a few clicks on dialogue boxes. Now I'm downloading the SDX file.

Despite Dream Spark / Kivuto being independent companies, their help desk email signature says Microsoft.  That gave me the idea to try IE.

hope this helps others…fingers crossed

1. Louise says:

This is really helpful, thanks a lot!

42. asma says:

i FOUND SCRIPT ERROR AFYER DOWNLOAD .SDM

PLZ G

43. Rex says:

Its been like 3 YEARS with NO SOLUTION. Get you act together. But I already promise you that I will do everything in my power to avoid paying for Microsoft products for the rest of my life.

Please fix the active script issue. I have enabled all of the active scripting options and nothing. I have tried adding relevant domains to the trusted sites list. Nothing. I have scoured Google, Yahoo, Dogpile, Duck Duck Go, and every corner of the internet looking for a solution. Why am I wasting my time with you? Well, I wouldnt except my school forces us into your products. Which is ******* cause now I cant get the software I need to do my ******* homework and I can trust that youll never release an actual fix.

44. Mike says:

Why does this software not work on Windows 10 Professional? I am a student with Dreamspark, and I cannot download the SDX Files because the SDM Program does literally nothing. I tried running as an Administrator, etc, and I just can’t do it.

Please tell me there is a work around

45. Rudie says:

Hi

I haven been struggling for over a year to download anything with the Secure Download Manager. When I download a SDX file from the website nothing happens except for the download and storing on my laptop hard drive.

If I click on the sdx file it, there is no application associated with the file.

I give up.

1. Lee Stott says:

The Secure Download Manager (SDM) is Kivuto’s proprietary software program for managing the secure download of files from the software.caltech.edu webstore. When you download software with the new SDM for the first time, you will be prompted to download and install the SDM on to your computer. This differs from the previous version greatly, as before one download client was needed per software title. You will need to install the SDM on your computer only once; all subsequent downloads will automatically launch the SDM. The SDM provides for secure, effective and efficient file downloads, especially for files that are too large for some browsers to download.

Note: The SDM is only available for Windows and Mac platforms. Linux users will still be able to download software, without the use of the SDM. In order to download onto a Linux computer, your software order should ONLY contain Linux platform software. Any software orders that combine other non-Linux platforms will use the SDM by default.

How do I download and install the SDM?

To download and install the SDM, sign in to the WebStore using your Username and Password.
      Click the Download SDM button. The SDM starts downloading. For specific installation instructions for Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Apple Safari, click the appropriate tab in the Secure Download Manager Installation window.

Where can I find the SDM on my computer?

Once the SDM is successfully downloaded to and installed on your computer, in Windows, the Shortcut to SecureDownloadManager.exe icon is displayed on your desktop. For the Mac, the SDM is found in the Application Folder. If you choose to download additional software from the WebStore, you do not need to re-download or re-install the Secure Download Manager unless you have removed it from your system. If you have removed it from your system, the WebStore will prompt you to install it again when you initiate a new download.

How do I download my software?

46. Bjarne Sønderskov Nielsen says:

this dont work at all- used severel waisted hours

47. Daniel says:

The SDM is just an unnecessary hassle. Please do away with it. I assure you that my browser will have no issues downloading ISO files, as I’ve done it many times before.

My specific issue is that after installing the SDM, I follow the directions and open the SDX, but nothing happens. I have the same issue on my Lenovo Yoga Pro and desktop PC, both running W10.

The SDM is unnecessary, at least make it optional to those who prefer to not use it (or cannot for whatever reason).

Skip to main content