Today marked an exciting day, we announced via S. Somasegar’s blog post and Jason Zander’s blog post that MSDN subscribers including DreamSpark premium institutional administrators now have access to Visual Studio 2012. DreamSpark subscribers can download and install Visual Studio 2012 later this month once its made available.
Additionally we confirmed that we will be having a Virtual Launch Event on September 12, 2012 for Visual Studio 2012 please see further details at http://visualstudiolaunch.com.
So from today all versions of Visual Studio 2012, including Visual Studio Professional, Premium, Test Professional, and Ultimate. Additionally, Team Foundation Server, Visual Studio Express for Web, Visual Studio Express for Windows 8, and Team Foundation Server Express are now available.
So What is new in Visual Studio 2012?
Visual Studio 2012 includes numerous updates to simplify the development experience, help teams collaborate more effectively, and delight end-users across a variety of devices. Although there are too many features to highlight here, below are a few key new features:
· Improved web development tooling with Page Inspector and DOM Explorer
· Support for Microsoft’s latest platforms including Windows 8.
· Visual Studio Light Switch and Blend for Visual Studio are included giving developers access to rapid application tools and designer surfaces.
· Write simplified asynchronous code using the .NET Framework 4.5
· Take team collaboration to the cloud with Team Foundation Service Preview or on-premise with the latest version of Team Foundation Server.
· Improved support for SharePoint development
There have been some changes to the Visual Studio SKUs, what is the current line up?
We are always focused on providing the right products to meet the needs of our various customers. For Visual Studio 2012 we have the following SKUs.
· Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate
· Visual Studio 2012 Premium
· Visual Studio 2012 Professional
· Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2012
· Visual Studio Test Professional 2012
We have also simplified our Visual Studio Express SKUs so developers can focus on the latest Microsoft platforms.
· Visual Studio 2012 Express for Web
· Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8
· Visual Studio Team Foundation Server Express 2012
Where do I go to get Visual Studio 2012?
There are a variety of ways to buy Visual Studio 2012. MSDN, DreamSpark Premium and DreamSpark subscribers will get it as part of their subscription. . Enterprise and volume licensing customers can get Visual Studio 2012 through their existing channels.
For developers that would like to purchase Visual Studio without going through an MSDN subscription, they can get it through a Microsoft Academic resellers: