For all of you who may of missed the announcement this week in relation to the release of Silverlight 5. Silverlight is part of a rich offering of technologies from Microsoft helping developers deliver applications for the web, desktop and mobile devices. Download Silverlight 5, a free plug-in less than 7 MB in size that can be installed in less than 10 seconds.
New features in Silverlight 5 include
- Hardware Decode of H.264 media, which provides a significant performance improvement with decoding of unprotected content using the GPU
- Postscript Vector Printing to improve output quality and file size; and an improved graphics stack with 3D support that uses the XNA API on the Windows platform to gain low-level access to the GPU for drawing vertex shaders and low-level 3D primitives.
- Extensions to the ‘Trusted Application’ model to the browser for the first time. These features, when enabled via a group policy registry key and an application certificate, mean users won’t need to leave the browser to perform complex tasks such as multiple window support, full trust support in browser including COM and file system access, in browser HTML hosting within Silverlight, and P/Invoke support for existing native code to be run directly from Silverlight.
· Silverlight Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/silverlight
· Silverlight Marketing: http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight
· Silverlight Dev Center: http://www.silverlight.net