You know, it’s bad enough that these fracking Twitter spammers are polluting my Twitter following count (inflating it from zero to three). I went and checked out the page that they redirect to and when I type into the address bar to navigate away from the page, I cannot! Observe the sequence:
- I go to the web page and decide to navigate away. I hit Ctrl + L to get to the address bar of my browser.
- I type in http://www.msn.com and hit Enter.
- I see the following popup:
- I hit Cancel which takes me back to the spam page. My navigation failed. I didn’t read the pop-up very closely so I went back to the previous page. In fact, I didn’t read this pop-up at all and assumed that the OK meant I wanted to buy into this stupid offer.
- I do this a couple of times, not hitting OK and instead hitting Cancel, each time going back to the spam landing page. Finally, I actually read this stupid pop-up (and who actually does this in real life?) and assume that hitting OK will direct me to MSN. It does. I have escaped the spammy page.
I find it very annoying when I try to navigate away from something and then I’m caught with a "Wait! Don’t go! We’ll throw in this special offer!" If I take the time to hit Ctrl + L to get to the address bar (which doesn’t work in IE8, btw, but I can’t remember that program’s shortcut sequence) then don’t bug me with pop-ups. I’m sure I want to go, that’s why I took the time to manually type in a URL.