I recently visited a customer who wanted to implement the HP Agentless Monitoring Management Pack in their environment. I hadn’t used this pack before and I couldn’t find much (easy reading) online about the requirements or installation procedure therefore it required quite a bit of research to fully understand what is required to use it. Here’s a high-level overview:
- Install the HP Device Monitoring Service (DMS) on a utility server, ideally not on any of your management servers, but some other server.
- Deploy the SCOM agent to this server that is running the DMS service.
- Install the HP management packs required for agentless monitoring.
- Install the HP Device Monitoring Console (DMC) on one or more servers. This can be installed on your management servers if you wish. This will enable you to launch the DMC tool from a task within the SCOM console.
- Run the DMC tool to register your HP servers with their iLO interface address.
- The SCOM agent communicates with the DMS service to discover the registered iLO interfaces/servers and begins monitoring.
Step by Step: (Environment: SCOM 2012 R2 UR3)
Download the latest OneView ISO image from HP. At the time of this writing, this is what I have: HP_OneView_for_Microsoft_System_Center_7.4_July_2014_Z7550-01413.iso
Burn the ISO to disc or use either WinRAR or the “Mount” feature of Windows 2012 to get at the contents of the ISO.
Extract this folder: “HP SCOM Management Packs”. Inside this folder there two exe files; one for x86 and x64. You know which one you need.
On a utility server (not a management server) run the HP intall program (HPSCOMManagementPacks-x64.exe). Install only the DMS service and the DMC component.
*NOTE: For the DMS service/component make sure you have the prerequisites installed: .NET 3.5, SNMP Trap Service (and it is “Enabled”), and at least Powershell v1.0.
Deploy the SCOM agent to the utility server.
On a SCOM management server, run the HP install program (HPSCOMManagementPacks-x64.exe) and choose to extract the HP management packs. Optionally you can choose to install the DMC.
Install these three management packs:
Connect to the Console. If you have trouble connecting to the console, look for this log file:
C:\Program Files\HP SCOM Management Packs \ HP Device Monitor Service\HPDeviceMonitor.log
You may have to launch the DMC as an “Administrator” or you may run into the error shown below:
2015-09-14 14:57:17.9588 HPDeviceMonitor 1800:5 WARN
CheckUser User not authorized to access the HP Device Monitor Service.
Run the DMC tool to register your HP servers with their iLO addresses, use “Add Agentless Server”
HP Servers get discovered.
That’s about all there is to it.
Please let me know if you have suggestions to improve this post.
2015.9.14: added a note about the prerequisites for the DMS service/component