Price reduction on retiring exams (and VS/SQL upgrade exams)

Complete your Microsoft Certified Application Developer (MCAD), Microsoft Certified Solution Developer (MCSD), or Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA) certification or upgrade your certifications to Visual Studio 2005 or SQL Server 2005 with a 40 percent automatic price reduction on retiring and upgrade exams. The price reduction is valid on:

This is not an “offer,” meaning you don’t need a code or voucher or anything. To get the reduced price, you just register like usual with Prometric at any worldwide location. Across the board, all of the exams listed below will be priced 40% less than the normal price, permanently. We’re doing this to encourage people to finish up their MCAD, MCSD, or MCDBA certifications before the underlying exams retire. And, of course we want to encourage people who have certifications on older technologies to upgrade.

Last time we retired exams we allowed a “grace period,” where people could complete their exams for a little while after the official retire date, to accommodate people who didn’t know in advance or couldn’t get a seat in time. Even though that was well intentioned (this just in: we actually prefer that you are not mad at us) the grace period also caused confusion for people who stuck to the dates we announced, and I don’t think we’ll do that again. So, we’ll try and let everyone know well in advance in case one of these exams is on your to-do list. We’re sending out a notice sometime this coming week with a reminder of retiring exams and notice about the price reduction. But not everyone gets that – so please help get the word out.

Here are the exams with reduced price:

1. Andrew Storrs says:

I was just about to buy a voucher to write 70-228 (it was already in my shopping cart!) and I noticed I had a new item in my RSS feeds, so I stopped for a second and it was this post. Thanks Trika, you saved me $$$. :)

2. Charles says:

Any idea if this will be happening in the future for MCSE?

That would be nice 😀

3. Caio Proiete says:

Wow! This is great news, Trika!

I was thinking about not upgrading my SQL 2000 MCDBA to 2005 and going straight to 2008, but now you’ve just changed my mind :).

Cheers,

Caio Proiete

4. Caio Proiete says:

Ops… The links to the Prep. Guides are all pointing to http://wwwstaging/… I wish I could have access to this server :) :)

5. AspiringGeek says:

@Caio: You are wise to pursue your SQL 2005 certification first.  How serendipitous that this opportunity came along.

6. Hadi says:

Hi,

can we combine this opportunity with Second Shot opportunity ? In case we failed the upgrade exam, we still got another chance to retake the exam.

Thanks,

Hadi

7. hartplaza says:

Very good news,…. for those developers.

Trika, will this also be introduced for the engineers? It could be a reason to do a few older exams (like Exchange 2003) to become a MCSA/MCSE Messaging,…

the current price is to high to just do the exam, but a good discount could be a motivation to look into the study guide (combined with hands-on experience) and go for the certification.

8. trikah@microsoft.com says:

@Caio thanks for letting me know, that’s embarassing

@Hadi YES you need to register for Second Shot, then use your second shot voucher when you sign up for your price-discounted exam. Good luck!

@HartP: Nothing planned at the moment, no.

9. Andreas says:

Nice one, planning 447 soon :-)

Does Prometric provide vouchers for exams with reduced price? We need to provide them to customers.

10. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Andreas,

We are not providing vouchers for the reduced price, no. If that doesn’t work for you, send me an e-mail and I’ll point you to someone who can figure out what’s up.

Trika