Why so serious?

If you missed the MCP newsletter this morning, here’s some news: the Second Shot offer is back on as of yesterday afternoon, courtesy of your friends at Prometric and Microsoft Learning.* [If you weren’t aware that the Second Shot offer had ever gone away, here’s some news: it did go away. And some more news: It’s back again.]

So I think that’s really good news.

<Fixed as of 8/5>In related, less-good and more-annoying news, I’ve heard that some of you are having trouble registering for the offer. Please do this:

• On the first registration page, when it asks you Which role best describes your primary use of software and technologies? choose DEVELOPER. Nothing bad will happen, and you will be signed up. For whatever reason, this works. Like when your car won’t start unless you open the glove compartment and lay on the horn at the same time. Or something.

• Or, try and register again tomorrow–they’re fixing the thing that’s causing trouble. I’ll update this poast when I get word that it’s back to normal. I’m sorry if you tried to register and got stuck — that’s lame.** <Fixed as of 8/5>

Register for Second Shot for a free second change to pass your exam if you don’t make it the first time…

clip_image001

* Second Shot is also back courtesy of R., who, in a comment on an earlier post, said: “Excellent offer.  Should be extended until June 2009 ;).” Our teams, who of course really respect R., were like, “Right. Good point. Let’s do that.” So, it’s actually back courtesy of R. and your friends at Prometric and Microsoft Learning.

** I am going to start a little podcast series, where the content is just me, apologizing. It will be a 30 minute segment every day.

1. Chance says:

WOOHOO!!!!!!  This is definitely incentive for me to upgrade my Server 2k3 certs now 🙂

2. Hemil says:

Hi Trika,

Is it possible to use the second shot voucher with a PS+ (Partner Skills Plus) Voucher which is provided to MS Certified Parnters?

Cheers

3. AdamV says:

Seems the bug is now fixed (before 6am GMT), sono-one has to put on hemp sandals and a false beard and pretend to be a developer anymore!

4. Joe says:

Is the Academic Second Shot going to be coming back at any point in the near future?

5. Benjamin S says:

Thank you Trika, R., and our friends at Prometric and Microsoft Learning!  Best news I’ve heard in oh, a year!

6. trikah@microsoft.com says:

@Joe: Yes, there will be an academic version. I understand it will kick off a little later.

@all: I understand that issue is fixed as of last night, so hopefully there won’t be any problems for anyone who’d like to register.

7. Rob Gregory says:

What are the chances of Second Shot becoming permanent?

8. João Paulo says:

Any chance back again the promotion with discounts of 20%, 30% and 40% like in the end of last year ?

9. jtb says:

The only apologies we need from Trika are for when she stops posting for more than a week in a row without warning us first…  😉

10. Shawn says:

This is great news.  Hopefully this will convince some of my programmer-type friends to start getting their certs.  Speaking of which, why isn’t there a referral program?  If there were, I’d start leaning on them harder.  Peer pressure is all the rage these days.

11. trikah@microsoft.com says:

@Hemil: Here’s the answer, unfortunately: "No. No other offers are allowed to be combined with Second Shot, including PS vouchers."

12. trikah@microsoft.com says:

@Rob: That’s not on the table at the moment, this expires in June 2009…

@Joao: That was a cool offer that I think was just done in a few regions around the world–we did not offer that worldwide to everyone. I don’t know if that will happen again in your area!

@JTB: Oh, YOU!!!

@Shawn: Referral-program, mmm-hmmm….

13. RobE says:

Are the 2nd shot vouchers uable in conjunction with Corporate payment(not discount & not promo)vouchers this time?

14. trikah@microsoft.com says:

@RobE, no, can’t be used with vouchers. Drat.