I know many of you have heard about our emulation technology that we’re developing and rolling out with the Prometric team. We’ll have a lot more information on this soon, but in short: it is a new type of performance-based testing that has you kids performing tasks in a full, virtual version of the technology. This is different from the simulations many of you have run in to on our exams; in simulations you perform tasks in built out mock-ups of the technology. "Simulations restrict you to a small number of expected paths, whereas emulations allow for any path, as long as the end result is correct."
Emulations will be pretty much the same experience you would have on the job. But it’s a test. Nice.
We’re doing some testing of the technology now, and you are invited to participate in a pilot. This is a pilot of the testing experience – not a beta. So, please check yourself bywy:
- You won’t ever get a score or credit for taking this exam–you participate to be a part of improving the certification program. Though there is an exam voucher involved…
- Not all Prometric centers offer the exam (about 1,000 of them do right now) so you might not have an opportunity in your area yet.
- You should be familiar with Active Directory, that’s the subject matter.
If you’re interested, here’s the invitation, please read it carefully!
Register for New Performance Based Testing Pilot Exam 70-113: TS: Windows® Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring
Microsoft Learning is testing a new Performance Based testing system that will be integrated into the existing certification programs in order to better evaluate and validate candidates’ skills using Microsoft products and technologies.
The Performance Based testing method we are piloting is an exam which emulates a Windows Server 2008 infrastructure. In this infrastructure you will be tasked with completing a series of tasks. Once complete, the system will evaluate each tasks end-state to determine if the tasks have been completed and correctly implemented. This process is different from simulations because you will have every tool and path available that you would normally have in a real world scenario. Simulations restrict you to a small number of expected paths, whereas emulations allow for any path, as long as the end result is correct.
This pilot exam will not provide you with a score as with normal beta exams. This pilot is a test of the exam experience, delivery system and infrastructure, so only a portion of the final exam will be presented to you during this pilot. This pilot exam will not be added to your transcript and you will need to take the exam in its released form in order to be awarded the credential.
By participating in this pilot exam, you have the unique opportunity to provide the Microsoft Certification program with feedback about your exam experience, and exam content, which is vital to the future development of Performance Based exams in their released version. We depend on the contributions of experienced IT professionals as we continually improve and expand our certification program and testing technologies to grow the value of Microsoft certifications.
Upon completion of this pilot exam, the first 3000 candidates will receive a free exam voucher that can be used to register for any Microsoft Certification exam delivered at a Prometric testing center. The voucher will be distributed electronically 4 weeks after the end of the Pilot. If you have not received your voucher within this timeframe, then unfortunately, you were not part of the first 3000 candidates.
- Registration begins: July 29, 2008
- Pilot exam period runs: July 31, 2008– September 12, 2008
- In order to facilitate exam availability in as many testing centers as possible for this pilot, registrations must be made 7 days in advance.
- Receiving this invitation does not guarantee you a seat in this pilot; we recommend that you register immediately. This pilot will have limited availability and are operated under a first-come-first-served basis. Once all pilot slots are filled, no additional seats will be offered.
- Testing is held at Prometric testing centers.
- You must register at least 7 days prior to taking the exam.
- Please use the following promotional code when registering for the exam: H640
- Receiving this invitation does not guarantee you a seat in the pilot; we recommend that you register immediately.
- To register for this pilot: Go to the Prometric Website: http://www.register.prometric.com/ClientInformation.asp
- Find Microsoft exam 70-113: TS: Windows® Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring
- Use Promo Code H640
- if you have any issues registering or taking this pilot exam please email Performance Based Exams (email@example.com).
Test Information and Support
- You are invited to take this pilot exam at no charge.
- You will be given four hours to complete the pilot exam. Please plan accordingly.
- Though not all of the exam will be presented to the pilot candidates, we would appreciate it if you were familiar with the exams objectives. This will help us better evaluate the data from this pilot.
- Find exam preparation information: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-640.aspx