Introducing Microsoft Certified Master (!)

OK, I’m not actually introducing it. But my teammates, Per Farny and Vicki Teachout, are, in about an hour in a lunch session at TechEd. I’ll post a wrap up after their presentation for those of you who aren’t here – but if you’re in Orlando go to room N220A at noon to hear what they have to say. I’ll be there in the back, taking notes.

Basically we are introducing a new series of certification for really advanced technical skills on Server, Exchange, and SQL (for the moment)… stay tuned.

1. Peter Read says:

You could even have some kind of certified systems engineer cert for people who get two or more (say server + SQL or exchange…) 😉

2. Willie Ware says:

3. Lukas Beeler says:

Willie,

The MCITP is below what the MCSE was yesteryear. The Master is probably above what the MCSE was – essentially, Microsoft is broadening their certification platform.

I think that this is a good idea in general – whether it will work our or not is another question 😉

4. Peter Read says:

People are going to start moaning about signatures causing strain on exchange if new certs keep coming out at this rate 😉

5. Lee... says:

The more water you pour into the mix, the more you dilute it. Discuss.

A comment worthy of a Master! LOL 😉

6. Niall says:

This helps my plans a bit!!! Looking forward to seeing the other ones.. hoping for MOSS..

Any plan for a .NET/Development version :o) So many questions, only 1 little Trika!

7. packetboy says:

whoo hoo master sounds great im looking forward to getting this cert.. 🙂

8. Sean says:

Mmmm. Sounds like this might be a bit out of reach cost wise for most of us but I guess we’ll have to wait and see the details.

Kind of hard to attend classes in the USA when you need to pay for your own training.

9. Rob Farley says:

Looks interesting Trika – but why make it class-oriented? This is the kind of thing that should appeal to people who already have the skills, but don’t want to have to attend classes to prove it.

Plus – the links to the detail at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/master/default.mspx are all broken. Easy to fix for people who can see what URL is being attempted… it’s just got the slashes the wrong way around.

Rob

10. Rob Farley says:

Oh, and… what’s the plan for overseas people? Attendance via LiveMeeting?

11. Sean says:

According to this site training will be available outside os the US next year but $18500 is a bit much for me unfortunately. I’m sure I would qualify/pass for Exchange but I stuggle enough to get my exams paid for. Maybe I need to find a new job 🙂

12. Packetboy says:

hmm yea 18K USD is pretty steep but I would still prolly pay it to stand out from the crowd.. im sure when MS roll this out to the UK we will end up having to pay £18K!!!  if so i will be booking my flights to redmond to hang out with Bill and Steve for a couple of weeks…  🙂

13. Alice says:

Interesting… but at $18,500 and weeks of in-person training, there is still quite a gap between ITPro and Master. As explained at http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/christian/archive/2008/06/06/the-microsoft-certified-master-certification-just-announced.aspx , it’s really just splitting off the expensive Architect training from the review board portion of Architect (will serve as a prerequisite for Architect now) — This is good for people who just couldn’t meet the massive experience and such required for Architect, but still no help for those of us whose wallets aren’t this deep and/or employers aren’t this generous. 😉

14. Alice says:

PS: And I’m guessing these prices don’t include airfare and three weeks of lodging, on top of the $18,500!

15. Packetboy says:

Maybe it includes lodging at Redmond!!

16. ER says:

Hi

I checked the requirements. Actually I am  already passed all exams needed to exchange 2007 MCM

And I more than a few years on IT management (since novel 2.1 and LANTASTIC) and quite a few years exerting at exchange since 5.5 version

am I entitled to MCM , or should i take all those classes to achieve it.

Regards

17. Dhabih Hendershot says:

Trika,

How do you go about applying to go to the Training? Is there an official flier for the training? Is the price of $18,500 correct? I am currently an MCSE on 2003, and studying to take the 2008 tests. Is there a preparation guide for the class, I just want to make sure that I am as prepared as possible so that I get as much as I can out of the training when I go.

Thanks,

Dhabih

18. Rob says:

Hi Trika,

Is there a Masters path planned for the MCPD people?

Cheers

19. Per Farny says:

Hi,

Per here, I’m resposible for the Master programs. We’re not quite ready to take applicants yet; keep an eye on the website and in about 6 weeks we should have instructions up on how to apply.

Thanks,

Per

20. Per Farny says:

Hi,

No MCPD based programs are planned right now, but we’ll be looking to add programs as we progress. Any thoughts / input / feedback on what we should do in this space?

Thanks,

Per

21. Per Farny says:

In response to the below:

There have not been complaints on the new structure, and it most certainly is not watered down! This is all about providing the appropriate certification to the appropriate audience. It’s not that one is better than the other, one is more appropriate to a given audience than the other.

The reason why we’re adding the Master programs is in response to a specific audience that has been looking for a certification to differentiate themselves with. These are individuals who spend most of their time deeply focused on designing (and building and troubleshooting) solutions based on a single product. Specialized consultants (whether working for consulting companies direct or filling that role via direct customer employment) will be the most appropriate audience for these programs.

Thanks,

Per

"Tuesday, June 10, 2008 12:09 PM by Willie Ware

# re: Introducing Microsoft Certified Master (!)

Will this be the top of the mountain or just under that of an Architect?  I wonder why in the world they are introducing in a new facet to the new structure?  Has there been complaints on the new structure seeming watered down and not as valuable as the old ones?  A ‘Master’ sounds rather lofty… like I need to bow to him/her before I enter the server area or something… hahaha"

22. Niall M says:

Hi Pat

A .NET development track could focus on rolling out development across the common deployment system such as MOSS.

Possibly a bit beyond the enterprise developer MCPD, focussed more on developing applications. Possibly scenario based where person is given an idea of what the client needs.

Its a more difficult thing to provide a training environment for..

Possibly interview only same as MCA Solutions but aimed lower?

23. Thaek says:

"Microsoft Certified Master: Office SharePoint Server 2007" would be great!! 🙂 But please not Development focused.

24. Perfarny says:

Development will be included, but it won’t be the sole focus.

-Per

25. Niall M says:

Per in relation to the MOSS Master will it be a more configuration one like the rest of the Masters one or will it be 50/50 config/dev.

We do a lot of development on MOSS and a masters program would be cool, considering there is no direct MCPD style for it unless you do the Web/Ent MCPD and supplement it with the relevant MCTS certs

26. ioniancat21 says:

I like the concept of creating an elite CCIE-like certification in the Microsoft genre. I myself would be interested in acquiring this sort of certification being both and MCSE 2000 and MCITP Enterprise Admin already fulfilling the requirements 10 fold. Unfortunately, the problem for me and probably a very large majority of others is going to be cost and this alone will destroy any chance of this certification working.

With one of the largest recessions to hit the US since the Great Depression, I can logically assume that most companies are not going to be springing for a $20K 3-Week course as they would be better served sending you for your Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree at the local College which is cheaper. As for myself, I don’t have the risk capital to invest $20K in a certification that may help my career options.

With that said I believe this is the nail in the coffin of the impossible dream called the "MCM"………

27. ioniancat21 says:

Sorry I broke this up…

I would have to actually see what type of credibility this garners in the industry before jumping on board. What I would suggest others do is to hit the forums to see what other who completed it think and also read job market data to determine what type of effect this will have on salary. The point is, in such a bad financial market, you want to be building investments rather than expenses. You need to seriously "Do the Math" on this one….

28. ioniancat21 says:

As we can see after almost a month my comments have ended the debate on this blog. It’s pretty clear and obvious that my stance was the correct one.

The MCM is too expensive, holds little credibility in the industry and will fail as far as ROI is concerned with regards to salary. Do yourself a favor and get a degree at your local city college instead. More important know the products your working with well. I’m sure there will be non-MCM candidates out there that will run circles around any MCM as far as skills go and best of all studying on your own is free. As a note many don’t renew their CCIE’s for the same reason; if it doesn’t make dollars, it doesn’t make sense…….

29. ioniancat21 says:

P.S. – You can now take this blog offline anytime your ready, the discussion is now over.

30. Sergey says:

This book the MCDST Study Guide "DELUXE EDITION" which is the second edition of MCDST Study Guide, is really helpful and updated in order of studying it and taking the exams

31. And who does not wish to pay for a hosting, is urgent here – the <a href=http://netsearchworld.com/>best free web hosting</a>!

32. And who does not wish to pay for a hosting, is urgent here – the <a href=http://netsearchworld.com/>best free web hosting</a>!

33. The friend recommended recently a good <a href=http://uzshar.net/>free web  hosting</a>, all the same the best service among the free!

34. The friend recommended recently a good <a href=http://uzshar.net/>free web  hosting</a>, all the same the best service among the free!

35. uzshar.net says:

My new partner – a <a href=http://uzshar.net/>free web hosting</a>, be registered everything, I recommend!

36. uzshar.net says:

37. Sam says:

If you want to talk about power tools you have come to the right place.Here you’ll find everything related to power tools http://power-tools-review.com.This is a great source for information and advice from the novice to the expert.