What your mother doesn’t want you to know about TechEd

For starters, I'll be there.

Something else is that we're having weekend certification events, if you know what I mean.

Developers: weekend exam cram

On Saturday, June 7, during the weekend in between the two TechEd 2008 events in Orlando, Florida, we'll be hosting cram sessions to help developers (those attending the event, and those who can get there even if not attending) prepare for 70-536 and 70-562--the combination of which will earn this:

ASP

The format will probably be 1-2 hours of guidance for each exam, led by an MCT to review and prep you to pass. This is not intended to be a beginning course on .NET development--is a brush-up, tips and tricks for the exams, etc instead. This is very good, face to face help from certified trainers who have taken the exams--then you can go right over and take it while everything is still fresh.

You can come to just part of it. For example, if you already have any of your .NET 2.0 certs you already have 536 covered... so you can just come to do the 562 part. Alternately, if you want to go for one of the other .NET 3.5 MCTS tracks, you can just come to the 536 part (which is the first step to any of the new certs--2.0 or 3.5).

• Focus: prep for exams 70-536 and 70-562

• Audience: Open to the public - experience with ASP .NET application development - see prep guides for more information

• Cost: Zero to you (+$50 to take exams at the event)

• Time/Room #/Registration: TBD

MCSA/MCSE: weekend upgrade bootcamp

On Sunday, June 8, we'll be hosting a full day, free upgrade bootcamp for MCSA and MCSE 2003. You don't have to be a TechEd attendee to go--anyone who can get themselves to Orlando is welcome to attend. We are arranging for space at the convention center, MCTs to lead the sessions, lunch and snacks, all the training materials, etc--then you go pay your $50 to take the exam right on site before you go home.

• Focus: exams 70-648 and 70-649 to earn two or three MCTS on Windows Server 2008 as described here

• Audience: MCSA and MCSE on Windows Server 2003

• Cost: Zero to you ($50 per exam on site)

• Time/Room #/Registration: TBD

In other news, we made some hats to give out to you certified people at TechED. Black hats. Very street. I'm so hooooooooooooood, in my little Microsoft Certified cap. Drinking a latte, skimming a pamphlet about software in-a-cloud.

FedEx

Mama said knock you out!

The slogans were your top four choices (if you were the first to suggest it long ago, send me an e-mail and I'll send you some, as promised). Actually, they were your 1,2,3 and 5th choices. I implemented a Marketing Override and had Smart As* made instead of allthat+chips, because I liked it more. That's right. I'm not afraid to flex a little muscle.

I say WHEN, I say HOW.

I say... when.

1. bryant says:

Ok, so how do I get one of the Smart As* hats. That is very cool. 🙂

2. Paul Turner says:

Hey, you coming to Tech.Ed Australia this year?  Is MS running a similar bootcamp?

3. jeff guillet says:

I *so* wnat one of those Smart As* caps. Do I get one for being an MCITP Enterprise Admin charter member?

4. Michael Bender says:

Sweet…I gotta get one of those even if I have to skip every session and camp at Trika’s both…

Not that I won’t anyway:)

5. Can I have one of those "Certified Since 1857," "Certified, So Give Me A Raise," and/or "Certified case: "Basket"" caps when you are done with them?

P.S. I had "Certified Smart." Is that close enough?

P.P.S. Off topic, but did you ever pass 70-620. I didn’t see a posting anywhere. Did I miss it?

6. Trika says:

Oh, dear. Before anyone else e-mails me about hats, I need to clarify that we ordered these for TechEd… and as much as I’d love to send them to everyone (particularly you, my friends who read this blog sometimes) I really can’t just start shipping them all over the place.

I’m a bad friend.

I’m sorry as*

7. Trika says:

Dear Larry,

No! I never studied, I never took it. I’m not really planning to, anytime soon, because I’m supposed to be doing other things with my work time. I’m kind of sad about it.

But not sad enough to study on the weekends.

Thanks for asking.

Trika

8. COOL….the Black Hats are another good reason to come to Orlando 🙂

Wauw…i’m just waiting for the approval of my hiring-manager…

9. AndyBemac says:

I’m based in the UK so a little too far away to come to the cram sessions 🙂 I am currently studying towards these exams and was wondering if there will be presentations etc available electronically afterwards. Any tricks and tips for the 70-536 etc would be great.

Cheers, Andy

10. Alice says:

"The slogans were your top four choices (if you were the first to suggest it long ago, send me an e-mail and I’ll send you some, as promised)."

Let’s see….

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 8:33 AM by Forrest

"Certified Hero"

Saturday, September 15, 2007 4:19 AM by AdamV

"Certified.SmartA$$"

("Smart As*" was introduced by Trika: http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/archive/2007/09/24/just-sittin-here-with-nothing-to-do.aspx )

Thursday, September 13, 2007 7:56 PM by Wayne Anderson

"CertifiedGeek"

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 9:55 AM by Dave (UK)

"Certified / I am, you’re not."

11. Matt says:

I want a hat! But I can’t make it to Orlando. Will they be offered anywhere else?

12. Ted says:

I think we need to have these available through the MCP shop. 😉  I definitely would buy one or more.

13. Erik says:

I hope those will be available somewhere…

Maybe trika can open here own webshop for us?

With off coure a Dutch area for all the

certified geeks from the Netherlands*

14. Oh great Trika…

What hoops are you going to make us jump through to get one of those?  Please don’t make it the game w/ the random tickets where I get sent to MSDN over and over:)

15. Matt Dean says:

Hi Trika,

Can attendees of the boot camps do other exams at the $50 rate as well?  I just passed the last exam I needed to get my MCSA 2003 today and would like to keep taking more MS certs and would love to be able to do them at $50.  I think it’d be worth the flight down to Orlando from Canada but unfortunately I don’t have the time available to attend TechEd as I just recently started a new job with a bank.  I’ve been thinking of upgrading my new MCSA to the Security variation and would also like to upgrade to MCSE.

16. Jake Kappus says:

When is the registration going to be open for the boot camps.  I just got authorization to do the camps, just not TechEd 🙁 .

The only catch is…I have to pass!  Yikes!  I really don’t want to find out what happens if I don’t though.  🙁

You’re the best Trika!

Jake

17. Jonathan says:

Just great – now my mama wont let me go

>>What your mother doesn’t want you to know >>about TechEd

>>For starters, I’ll be there.

18. jtb says:

Why wouldn’t my mom want me to know you were going to TechEd?

19. LarryWestMCSD says:

Because Trika is a felon who illegally imports bananas from Spain, and then dresses them up in origami hats.

20. Save me a Certified Smart As* Hat would you. 🙂 I’ll be working the HOL area ITPro week.

21. Ulugbek Umirov says:

That’s interesting. The beta period for 70-562 ends on May’4. Then it takes at least 8 weeks for analysis stage (3 months in case of 70-503). But the event will take place  on June’7 (5 weeks). 70-562 will have express analysis stage and go live before that date?

22. Robert Walter says:

Hi Trikah!

I would love to do the boot camp… Guess I will have to wait until you get more info on the paticulars.

"Time/Room #/Registration: TBD " /sigh

Anyway, if you are planing on a big room save a couple of seats for a two 2003 Certified types from Augusta, GA.

I will keep checking back here for more info, but just the same if you get a mailing list going would you hit me at…

heyUgoat@hotmail.com

OH yeah! I agree with Ted.  These should definitely be in teh MCP Store.

Thanks for the love. (Swag would be nicer, but heck I will take what I can get!)

23. Trika says:

Ulugbek, you do not miss a trick. In fact, that exam will not be live yet, you are right. However… we’re pulling a little something special together for the attendees so they can take it on site. More on this later.

Robert, "HeyUGoat"?

24. Bill says:

I say WHEN, I say HOW.

I say… when.

Isn’t that a line from Pretty Woman?

25. scotthawks says:

Any additional info on when this is going to be happening for MCSE’s??  i really want to do this.

26. Roy says:

What time is it going to start on Sunday?

27. LotsOfQs says:

Will these be available to *all* certified professionals…including those on 2000?

28. Claus Andersen says:

What a great offer! Too bad it comes so late as we booked our travel months ago.

29. Robert says:

Just wondering if the Time/Room #/Registration: information was ever determined, I just changed my reservation to arrive a couple of days early so I can attend.  I just need to know how to register.

30. Geo says:

What time is the Boot camp going to start. I had my flight booked a few mounths ago. I arrive at about 11 AM in orlando

Please send to geokin(AT)gmail.com

31. Hermine Turner says:

Do I get a hat for knowing that you were paraphasing a Julia Roberts’ line from Pretty Woman? (I say WHEN, I say HOW. I say…when.)

I suggest that the hats go to the MCP store so that we can get at them.

32. Robert W. (aka WallyTgoat) says:

LOL… yes, heyugoat@hotmail.com.  Sounds silly I know, but there is a back story to it.  Think drill sergeants shaping young minds… noguh said.  The fun bit is it’s easy to remember and it drops in nicely with my other online tag.  One day I will get off my duff and deliver some web content.  Fun Fun FUN in the very hot sun!

Keep the info coming and hope to see you in June.

Thanks for all your work,

WallyTgoat

Yes I like goats.

33. Jimmy says:

Hello guys,

I am also interested on the boot camp and changed my flight accordingly. Is there any information on where to register yet?

Thanks,

34. Tech Guy says:

For the free camp, has the timeroom been confirmed. How do we signup?

35. Trika says:

Tech Guy, look up! Registration info is posted here: http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/archive/2008/04/24/weekend-activities-at-teched.aspx

REGISTRATION INFO

Please send an email with the following information to:  deborahg@microsoft.com with the subject line WEEKEND: DEV or WEEKEND: ITP. Include:

Name:

Email Address:

MCP # if applicable

Arrival Date in Orlando:

Departure Date from Orlando:

FOR DEVELOPERS: which session (or both) you plan to attend

You will receive a confirmation email within 5 business days.

36. Trika says: