Report from TechReady

I’m helping out at TechReady in Seattle in the evening tonight, which is nice. There are some Microsoft technical types here, too, doing practice tests and reading books so they can pass their exams this week in the test center next door.

All the technical Experts are upstairs at the Ask the Experts reception, experting up a storm, probably sipping on Hennessey, nibbling prawn puffs and dipping their fingers in little bowls of lemon water so as to not smudge their velvet jackets, playing billiards and exchanging bon mots, as Experts do.

Non-experts, on the other hand, are in the study hall downstairs, sitting quietly, drinking a diet coke and eyeing a brownie that is on the desk, but wondering if that would look very professional, to be a representative of Microsoft Certification with bits of brownie on outfit and fingers.

What would an Expert do, I ask myself.

1. hartplaza says:

Maybe a bit (or a lot) off-topic, but I can’t find a related post at the moment to ask my question.

MS is retiring a whole lot of exams, including the upgrade exams 70-292 and 70-296. What is the policy behind retiring upgrade exams while there are about 290.000 MCSE on Server 2000 against a little over 100.000 MCSE on Server 2003.

If I did marketing for MS (This is not a job application, I just recently accepted an excellent job for the CoastGuard) I would put some heavy marketing on upgrades for MCSA/MCSE 2000 to MCSA/MCSE 2003, especcially because you can’t upgrade from MCSA/MCSE 2000 to Server 2008 certification !

I can (and do) understand retiring the Server 2000 exams, but don’t understand retiring the upgrade exams from MCSA/MCSE 2000 to MCSA/MCSE 2003.

2. hartplaza says:

3. Lee... says:

An expert would develop a new certification called ‘070-999 Designing and deploying a Brownie Eating Strategy’.

Then you would eat the brownie and claim you were training for the new cert.

4. Peter Read says:

Train away for the design cert, I’d be more interested in implementing and configuring for that one 😉

5. hartplaza says:

There allready is an "exam" 999, in the certification planner.

It says; "exam #999 Special Waiver Exam not currently offered".

6. bwatson says:

The better question to ask yourself is "what would a hero do?"

7. becn says:

I’m not sure about an Expert

But a Consultant would take the brownie, mention that they are performing with insufficient brownie resources, and invoice heavily for the time taken during the brownie deployment.

8. Its the "kids" downstairs they get the real "Hennessey" (knowledge), while the experts upstairs only receive alcahol 🙂

9. As follow up to my fascinating poast about TechReady , our technical training event in Seattle for worldwide