Certified on LinkedIn

We have gotten requests from many of you in the community to provide some kind of support for Microsoft Certification communities in networking and community portals. Put a little Web 2.0 in your pipe and smoke it, for once, you’ve said.

Per George’s post, Erwin has been working out details of how we can make an ‘official’ community of Microsoft Certified professionals on LinkedIn, “an online network of more than 17 million experienced professionals from around the world…” More on LinkedIn. I say ‘official,’ because many of you are way ahead of us and are already networking as certified professionals on LinkedIn and other community sites… we want to see what we can do to help/add something.

“Basically, the idea is that we would have official LinkedIn groups for each certification.  For example, an MCSE would be able to join the MCSE LinkedIn Group and so forth….by joining a group, you will be able to network and connect with others with your certification.  In addition, you will be able to display your certification logo on your LinkedIn profile for everyone to see… [Microsoft Learning can help] ensure that only those who are allowed to join the groups have valid certifications to protect your hard work and investment…”

Feedback and suggestions welcome; post them and/or send to Erwin

1. Fisker says:

Excellent idea!

2. For those that have questioned the value of LinkedIn, it is about to receive a big boost – Microsoft

3. For those that have questioned the value of LinkedIn, it is about to receive a big boost – Microsoft

4. Erwin Blonk says:

There is an Erwin working at Microsoft? Would you need another Erwin πŸ˜‰

5. Kjetil says:

This is great!

Have really been missing a functionality like this! πŸ™‚ Is there a estimate when something like this will be avaiable?

6. Jim K says:

FYI, there is already an MCT group on LinkedIn, although I’m not sure if it’s something that Microsoft sanctioned.

I would absolutely use an MCSE, MCSA group – I probably spend too much time on LinkedIn as it is…

Thanks for the update

7. That’s indeed great to hear! it would be nice if we can add the Microsoft Certifications on the LinkedIN Profilepage.

8. Josh says:

…waiting anxiously for this πŸ™‚

9. Adam Brock says:

I think this would be great as well!  I’d love to show off my logo in my linked in profile.

10. Erwin Chan says:

Thanks for the great feedback!  I’m very excited to get this done for the whole MCP community.

Jim K mentioned the MCT group which I am aware of.  Currently, it will remain a community owned group (run by a very dedicated and awesome MCT).  There are also a lot of community created groups that use the Microsoft Certified name.  I will work with those group owners to join our official groups once they go live.  My hope is that we can eliminate a lot of the confusion for you while maintaining the level of prestige of your certification.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to email me.  Thanks again!

11. Capt Kirk says:

I run a group on LinkedIn, but it only has about 200 members.  Aside from the cache of having the little icon that denotes a) the existence of said group, and b) one’s membership of said group, the really only major feature of a LinkedIn group is the fact that you are able to directly contact EVERY single member of the group, and they can contact you as well.  This can be good and bad.  I mean LinkedIn is not MySpace, thankfully.  I typically only link with people who I actually know and have worked with, and have generally good feelings about.  LinkedIn is not a popularity contest, as in he who dies with the most contacts wins. It’s more of a quality thing, not a quantity thing. And don’t even get me started about the seizure inducing graphics (and noise) at MySpace.  If LinkedIn starts too far down that path, it will lose it’s value for professionals.

Let’s say Johnny gets his MCP.  Yay Johhny!  Put him in the MCP group…  population one zillion.  Maybe it looks cool, but what does it get Johnny?  You can’t search for membership of a group, you can’t even know of the existence of every possible group.  If I want to find a MCSE, I search on the text "MCSE". I can already find 267 MCSEs in my vicinity. If I search for MCP, I’ll get at most 500 responses, because that’s the cutoff for the search engine.  Maybe they’ll be 500 of the closest (in rank, 1s first, then 2s, then 3s) MCPs to me, but I’m not sure. With a population one one zillion, how useful or even consistant is a sample of 500?

Later, Johnny gets his MCSA.  Time to move Johnny from MCP group to MCSA group.  Then he gets MSCE, then MCSE-Security, then who know what.  That’s a lot of movement for Johnny.  Somebody will have to move Johnny from group to group.  Should everybody be in the MCP group?

Anybody can start a LinkedIn group.  If there already is a MCT group that is run independently from Microsoft, well, that sort of spells out the path here.  If there is some member of each of the various MCP communities with an interest, I say let them do it.  I don’t see any value in it for Microsoft, or for the general MCP community, to be quite honest.

The only other sizable group that I’m aware of is the CISSP group, which is managed by an individual.  My guess is that there are 40,000 members in the group.  It is a very static entity.  Once you’re in, you don’t move around.  They recently broke into geographic groups, in that there is one just for the UK.  Unlike the current MCP credentials, the CISSP can expire after 3 years, however, so I don’t know how that gets handled.

So, while I admit it looks cool, what does it really get you?  What am I missing?

12. filipv says:

Sounds great, so do it already! πŸ™‚

13. Lars Haupt-Hansen says:

Great idea

14. Rubens says:

when can we apply?

15. Michel de Rooij says:

If done, better do it good. Nobody likes maintaining multiple "profile" pages (e.g. LinkedIn, MCP Profile, .. )

16. Yanze says:

Any update on this excellent idea?

17. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Hi, sadly no. Isn’t that disappointing? I hear from Erwin that we are still working on it (haven’t given up on the idea) but it is on hold for now because people/funds/etc are being used on other projects. Will keep you posted if anything changes.

18. Fisker says:

I emailed Erwin a couple of days ago and he responded that

"That idea is on hold.  Given that there is a new MCP program manager, I’ve transitioned the projects to that person, but they’re still sorting through the priorities."

That’s a real shame πŸ™

(I guess that’s the same as Trika said)

19. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Fisker, argh. I know – sometimes the best things just stall out when people get going on something else – sometimes you know what they’re workign on, and sometimes it’s something good but ‘behind the scenes.’ in any case, it’s disappointing that this one isn’t up and running yet!!!