Keep Clam and Carry On: open now for registration

The Windows Server 2008 MCITP betas (70-646 and 70-647) open on December 21, I think. And invites will go out right round then, so please keep clam. <update December 21> OK, prep guides are live and betas are open for registration now. If WS is your bag, baby, here is the invite information and you are welcome to participate. ——————————————————

You are invited to take the following beta exams.

• 71-646: PRO: Windowsยฎ Server 2008, Server Administrator counts as credit towards Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP): Server Administrator

• 71-647: PRO: Windowsยฎ Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator counts as credit towards MCITP: Enterprise Administrator

If you pass the beta exam, the exam credit will be added to your transcript and you will not need to take the exam in its released form. By participating in beta exams, you have the opportunity to provide the Microsoft Certification program with feedback about exam content, which is integral to development of exams in their released version. We depend on the contributions of experienced IT professionals and developers as we continually improve exam content and maintain the value of Microsoft certifications. Please remember that participation in the beta process is completely voluntary and Microsoft makes no promises or guarantees regarding the beta exam process. You can expect to receive your score on the beta exam within 12 weeks of taking the exam, although in some instances, beta exams may take longer to score and your results may be delayed.

Availability

• Registration begins: December 21, 2007

• Beta exam period runs: December 21, 2007โ€“January 18, 2008

• Receiving this invitation does not guarantee you a seat in the beta; we recommend that you register immediately. Beta exams have limited availability and are operated under a first-come-first-served basis. Once all beta slots are filled, no additional seats will be offered.

• Testing is held at Prometric testing centers worldwide, although this exam may not be available in all countries (see Regional Restrictions). All testing centers will have the capability to offer this exam in its live version.

• Regional Restrictions: India, Pakistan, China

Registration Information

• You must register at least 24 hours prior to taking the exam.

• Please use the following promotional codes when you register for your exam.

• 71-647: use Promo code 647Q at registration

• 71-646: use Promo code Q646 at registration

• Look for the prefix “71” at registration

• To register in North America, please call: Prometric: (800) 755-EXAM (800-755-3926)

• Outside the U.S./Canada, please contact: http://www.register.prometric.com/ClientInformation.asp

Test Information and Support

——————————————-In the meantime, you might want to try this on for size: “Windows Server 2008 RC1 with Hyper-V Beta is publicly available here.” Alternately, you could put that in your pipe, and smoke it.

Try the Windows Server learning portal or Windows Server 2008 info on TechNet for help brushing up on items below.

Skills measured by Exam 70-646

Planning for Server Deployment (19%)

• Plan server installations and upgrades.
  • May include but is not limited to: Windows Server 2008 edition selection, Rollback planning, Bitlocker implementation requirements
  • Plan for automated server deployment.
  • May include but is not limited to: Standard server image, Automation and scheduling of server deployments
  • Plan infrastructure services server roles.
  • May include but is not limited to: Address assignment, Name resolution, Network access control, Directory services, Application services, Certificate services
  • Plan application servers and services
  • May include but is not limited to: Virtualization server planning, Availability, resilience, and accessibility
  • Plan file and print server roles
  • May include but is not limited to: Access permissions, Storage quotas, Replication, Indexing, File storage policy, Availability, Printer publishing

Planning for Server Management (23%)

• Plan server management strategies.
  • May include but is not limited to: Remote administration, Remote desktop, Server management technologies, Server Manager and ServerManagerCMD, Delegation policies and procedures
  • Plan for delegated administration.
  • May include but is not limited to: Delegate Authority, Delegate Active Directory objects, Application Management
  • Plan and implement group policy strategy.
  • May include but is not limited to: GPO Management, GPO backup and recovery, Group policy troubleshooting, Group policy planning

Monitoring and Maintaining Servers (20%)

• Implement patch management strategy.
  • May include but is not limited to: Operating system patch level maintenance, Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), Application patch level maintenance
  • Monitor servers for performance evaluation and optimization.
  • May include but is not limited to: Server and service monitoring, Optimization, Event management, Trending and baseline analysis
  • Monitor and maintain security and policies.
  • May include but is not limited to: Remote access, Monitor and maintain NPAS, Network access, Server security, Firewall rules and policies, Authentication and authorization, Data security, Auditing

Planning Application and Data Provisioning (19%)

• Provision applications.
  • May include but is not limited to: Presentation virtualization, Terminal server infrastructure, Resource allocation, Application virtualization alternatives, Application deployment, System Center Configuration Manager
  • Provision data.
  • May include but is not limited to: Shared resources, Offline data access

Planning for Business Continuity and High Availability (19%)

• Plan storage.
  • May include but is not limited to: Storage solutions, Storage management
  • Plan high availability.
  • May include but is not limited to: Service redundancy, Service availability
  • Plan for backup and recovery.
  • May include but is not limited to: Data recovery strategy, Server recovery strategy, Directory service recovery strategy, Object level recovery

Skills measured by Exam 70-647

Planning Network and Application Services (23%)

• Plan for name resolution and IP addressing.
  • May include but is not limited to: Internal and external naming strategy, Naming resolution support for legacy clients, Naming resolution for directory services, IP addressing scheme, TCP/IP version coexistence
  • Design for network access.
  • May include but is not limited to: Network access policies, Remote access strategy, Perimeter networks, Server and domain isolation
  • Plan for application delivery.
  • May include but is not limited to: Application virtualization, Presentation virtualization, Locally installed software, Web-based applications
  • Plan for Terminal Services.
  • May include but is not limited to: Terminal Services licensing, Terminal Services infrastructure

Designing Core Identity and Access Management Components (25%)

• Design Active Directory forests and domains.
  • May include but is not limited to: Forest structure, Forest and domain functional levels, Intra-organizational authorization and authentication, Schema modifications
  • Design the Active Directory physical topology.
  • May include but is not limited to: Placement of servers, Site and replication topology, Printer location policies
  • Design the Active Directory administrative model.
  • May include but is not limited to: Delegation, Group strategy, Compliance auditing, Group administration,
  • Organizational structure
  • Design the enterprise-level group policy strategy.
  • May include but is not limited to: Group policy hierarchy and scope filtering, Control device installation, Authentication and authorization

Designing Support Identity and Access Management Components (29%)

• Plan for domain or forest migration, upgrade, and restructuring.
  • May include but is not limited to: Cross-forest authentication, Backward compatibility, Object migration, Migration planning, Implementation planning, Environment preparation
  • Design the branch office deployment.
  • May include but is not limited to: certificate request and installation; self-enrollments; delegation; Active Directory Metadirectory Services (AD MDS); Windows Server virtualization
  • Configure the read-only domain controller (RODC).
  • May include but is not limited to: Authentication strategy, Server security
  • Design and implement public key infrastructure.
  • May include but is not limited to: Certificate services, PKI operations and maintenance, Certificate life cycle management
  • Plan for interoperability.
  • May include but is not limited to: Inter-organizational authorization and authentication, Application authentication interoperability, Cross-platform interoperability

Designing for Business Continuity and Data Availability (23%)

• Plan for business continuity.
  • May include but is not limited to: Service availability, Directory service recovery
  • Design for software updates and compliance management.
  • May include but is not limited to: Patch management and patch management compliance, Microsoft Update and Windows Update, Security baselines, System health models
  • Design the operating system virtualization strategy.
  • May include but is not limited to: Server consolidation, Application compatibility, Virtualization management, Placement of servers
  • Design for data management and data access.
  • May include but is not limited to: Data security, Data accessibility and redundancy, Data collaboration

1. Ben says:

Just sat 2 of the other 2008 exams today, hope i get lots of time to practice for these over christmas ๐Ÿ˜‰

by the way i’ve always wondered what happened to the feedback that people leave for the questions. I’m always wary when leaving feedback about a question when i think the answers are wrong because it might just be me being stupid. Do you ever get to see some of the things people leave?

2. Lee... says:

Not THAT much to learn then!

Looks like 647 will take over from where 297 left off. O deep joy! I thought 620 was overly easy, you’ve been saving the pain up for 647 havn’t you.

‘Keep calm’, deep breath, ohmmm, there, better now…

3. Interesting point at blogs.msdn.com

4. as says:

Maybe it’s just me, and/or maybe it’s the idea… but I’m noticing a ton of overlap in these exams.

Oh well.  Is this one going to stay private or are you cool kats going to open it up?

5. jtb says:

AS, it’s not just you…   ๐Ÿ˜‰

6. Steve says:

I’m ready…I want that ITP:EA!  I’ve taken the 649 and 620, now I’m just waiting for my invite to take 647.  I hope I get one!

7. Yanze says:

Is it true that all invites already have been sent out?

What criteria do you use to invite people?

8. hartplaza says:

I hope not, I didn’t receive one yet,…

I allready missed the 71-401 System Center Configuration Manager because of a terrible cold. Positive thing about being sick at home, is that I had to play a lot with server 2008,… So hopefully I will get invited.

9. Lukas Beeler says:

Bah, it would’ve been fun to get all the exams done in 2007. But you can’t win every day ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll be looking forward to the final version. At least that one has the instant-gratification factor ๐Ÿ˜‰

10. Greig Stewart says:

Yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can study for this over the Christmas and New Year.

So have all the invites been sent out?

Why can’t I still log on to the MCP website after nearly 2 months of trying? Although Trika has been very kindly trying to help me resolve this issue ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Peter Read says:

I hope not, I was hoping to get invited as it would cover off the MCITP’s for me.

12. Edwin says:

Turn me on…. Give us the stuff…

As I just passed 70-649 3-days ago I’am still playing around with Windows 2008 so like to do 71-647/6 exams….

13. Guilherme says:

Hi, anybody know the promotional code for 71-647?

14. dr00 says:

Anybody get an invite yet? Me neither. I guess I don’t keep clam very well.

15. Steve says:

Thanks for the promo codes Trika!  I just registered for both the SA and EA exams!

16. dr00 says:

Me too, thanks! But I can’t find the prep guide though. The following URL results in a 404.

17. Edwin says:

Thank you for the promo codes….

Unfortunaly I cannot book the exam with Prometric as it is not shown on the list.

Is the beta already been booked or has it not added yet.

Anyone?

18. hartplaza says:

Indeed, not showing at Prometric yet. Hopefully it will work tomorrow,…

19. Pat says:

The exams can be booked, just did.  Make sure you are looking under the "71" and not "70".

Thanks for the codes!

20. Jim K says:

Trika

I was able to register for 647 this afternoon, but the rep that I spoke with would not let me register for 646 since she said it was the same exam.  I tried to explain to her that this was not the case, but got no where.  She said to call microsoft.  Very helpful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim

21. trikah@microsoft.com says:

dr00, w00t, it is working for me, I think maybe your problem is you have a 71 instead of 70 in your URL, try the link in post above

I have a question about blog things. When I update the copy in the post itself, do you guys get a notification if you are subscribed to this post? Or do I need to add a little comment down here that says, "I added the details above, open now for registration, w00t." for you to get a notice? Am I lame to ask this question? Am I lame that I had spaghettios for dinner last night?

Good luck you all.

22. Edwin says:

Still not visable @ Prometric, see URL screen. Will try later.

23. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Oh, for Pete’s sake (as my nana would have said). Jim, did you call the Prometric phone line? I forwarded your comment so they can follow up to make sure the right info is in the hands of Prometric reps.

Low rent workaround: In the meantime, did you try calling back to see if you can get someone else on the phone who will let you register?

24. dr00 says:

Don’t bother with their website. It has always been the worst. Call 800-755-EXAM and wait thru the endless, we-are-avoiding-serving-you-for-as-long-as-we-can recorded voice options. Just keep pressing zero. The operator was very friendly and helpful.

Got it Trika, thx. Answers: Not subscribed, no, a little bit lame, only lame in nutrition otherwise u r ok!

w00t! and i’m 0ut

25. Jim K says:

I couldn’t register via the website since the exams weren’t posted yet (as of this afternoon anyway)

Called Prometric and that was where the rep told me she would only register me for one of the two.  I said they were 2 separate exams – she didn’t seem to understand.

I’ll try someone else or see if the website gets updated and just do it there

Thanks for the quick followup…

Happy Holidays!

26. Pat says:

@Edwin

I wonder if it is because of the region you are registering in.  I was able to register and confirm my dates and times online based on taking the test in California.

27. Yanze says:

Thanks for the codes, I’ve scheduled both exams for January 17th, that’s gonna be a busy day ๐Ÿ™‚

On the website I got an error when scheduling 71-647, but it does show up as Pending, I’m waiting for Prometric’s comment on that one (*aaargh* when (if ever) will their website work normal???)

And my daughter really LOVES spaghetti, always a big smile when I cook that ๐Ÿ˜€

28. Mike says:

Trika you are the best, thanks for the codes. Just booked both exams have a wonderful Christmas. Time to hit the books again ๐Ÿ˜‰

29. Peter Read says:

Ho hum no rest for the wicked ๐Ÿ˜‰

Have a good break Trika and all

30. Lukas Beeler says:

I’ve tried to register here, and the exams don’t show up here on the prometric site for Switzerland.

Yes, i’ve looked at the 071 section. They’re not there.

31. Jose Firebird says:

Thanks! I am sending you a virtual box of chocolates and popcorn.

32. Two Server 2008 IT Pro exams are in beta just in time for the holidays. In an act of overconfidence, Iโ€™m taking both Jan 4th if schedules permit. 71-646: PRO: Windows® Server 2008, Server Administrator – MCITP: Server Administrator 71-647: PRO: Wind

33. trikah@microsoft.com says:

All, we’ve flagged the online registration problem, in the meantime pls register by phone.

Jose, "virtual"? A lady ain’t mind a little popcorn, for reals.

34. Alice says:

Trika wrote:

"I have a question about blog things. When I update the copy in the post itself, do you guys get a notification if you are subscribed to this post? Or do I need to add a little comment down here that says, "I added the details above, open now for registration, w00t." for you to get a notice?"

There are three types of notifications available.

People who subscribe to the blog’s main RSS feed (http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/rss.xml), which is probably the most common method (which I use), receive emails/notifications only when you make new posts.

MSDN Blogs also provides an option described as "If you would like to receive an email when updates are made to this post, please register here" (which for this post is http://blogs.msdn.com/user/CreateUser.aspx?ReturnUrl=/trika/archive/2007/12/17/keep-clam-and-carry-on.aspx ). Anyone who subscribes to this option on a post-by-post basis would receive emails/notifications when that specific individual post to which they subscribed is updated. (This would accomplish the first way you asked about.)

And there is another option provided by MSDN Blogs, described as "Subscribe to this post’s comments using RSS" (which for this post is http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/commentrss.aspx?PostID=6791761 ). Anyone who subscribes to this option on a post-by-post basis would receive emails/notifications when new comments are added to that specific individual post to which they subscribed. (This would accomplish the second way you asked about.)

But since people are quite unlikely to be subscribed to one of the post-by-post options for every post, making a new post is the best way to ensure more people know it’s time to check back. ๐Ÿ™‚

35. S.Y. Paul Lai says:

I’ve finished registration through the Web interface.  Need to select Macau first to select the exam number.  Then, at the test center selection page, change the location to Hong Kong to list the 18 test centers in my small city.

It looks like the Prometric system is having different exam lists for different locations.

36. Lukas Beeler says:

Finally worked! Great ๐Ÿ™‚

(Switzerland)

37. hartplaza says:

Worked, I registered too for the exams.

Thanks Trika, and a wonderfull christmass….

38. Adrian says:

Thanks Trika!

Happy Christmas

39. Jim K says:

FYI, both exams are available for registration as of this morning from the Prometric website.  I am registered now for both – THANKS TRIKA & Happy Holidays!

40. Sander Zegveld says:

Thanks Trika, I registered for both. Happy holidays!

PS: I will take 71-646 and 71-647 on Jan 16 and Jan 17th ..gives me some time to read all the stuff again and practice and be well prepared for these ones.

41. Sukh says:

In the UK you cant do the beta exams, would have been nice to have this opportunity here in the UK too.  Please let us know how you get along and good luck

42. Warwick James says:

Strangely, I tried registering here in Sydney, Australia, and neither exams appear in the list… tried changing the region to USA, with a couple of random states – similarly no joy!

So, pulled out the phone and booked it verbally – all fine, booked in for mid January.

Note to all – last date to sit seems to be 18th January 2008.

Good luck, happy Christmas and 2008 to all readers!

43. Edwin says:

Saterday (22-12) I booked them both. A co-worker also booked today. We’re both in The Netherlands.

44. sukh says:

whoops, you’re right, you can book them on the phone. just passed the 070-649, good luck guys

45. IT Guru says:

Hi all,

I can’t see this exam code in prometric

test site while trying to schedule that

exam.

I am currently living in Bangladesh. Do

you have any idea why is that so? Any information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

IT Guru

46. IT Guru says:

Hi all,

I can’t see this exam code in prometric

test site while trying to schedule that

exam.

I am currently living in Bangladesh. Do

you have any idea why is that so? Any information would be highly appreciated.

You can post info here or alternatively

you can email me at kazi_rana@hotmail.com

Thanks

IT Guru

Email: kazi_rana@hotmail.com

47. sukh says:

Call the prometri call centre and book via phone

48. Peter Read says:

Sukh – UK being United Kingdom?  I’m taking them in mid jan in London, so pretty sure you can ๐Ÿ™‚

49. sukh says:

Hi Peter,

Yes United Kingdom,  I noticed you can’t book via website but you can on phone, thanks.  Just preparing for exams

50. Xavier says:

When are the real 647 & 646 going to be released (no beta ones) and If I take the beta 647 and don’t pass it. Can I take it again?

51. gerryo says:

Some of you have questions about your comments on beta exams.  Please visit the URL below for my blog post on that.

Gerry

52. Peter Read says:

Xavier – you can only take it once while in beta, but you can take it when it’s live in the normal fashion…

53. Scotty says:

Am booked in for 71-647 on the 16th up in London in the evening and 71-646 on the 18th again in the evening

54. Ray Frangie says:

Thanks for the codes and your support Trika!

Booked both Exams for Friday 18th January 9:30am (646) and 1:00pm (647)

Wish me luck ๐Ÿ™‚

Ray Frangie.

Sydney, Australia

55. Ray Aslin says:

Has anyone in US tried to use those promo codes today?

I’ve tried them – they come up invalid – I think that’s code for "no more water in this well"

I know someone posted that they registered yesterday – but they were not in US – and I’m wondering if allocation of seats is based in such a way so that there a # of seats in different regions.

I did have the ability to register, but only if I paid.

"But I being poor have only my dreams…"

otherwise known as – I’m cheap!

56. Andrei Pop says:

As in the MCT newsgroup it was specifically stated that these exams are NOT available for public, i said i’d register on 3 or 4 January, when coming back from vacation. And surprise…there are no seats available anymore! because everybody got the codes and registred. It’s quite frustrating, especially after having took the other exams for the track while in beta.

57. mahmoud magdy says:

can someone provide us with extra codes so we cna register?

58. Erik says:

Maybe a new code?

I keep receiving the following ‘error’:

"The maximum count for the promotion has been exceeded. Please try another promotion."

59. Jian An says:

damn .. i am 3 days late then!

60. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Something is wonked with the registration, these betas are not full. Please stand by for more info when I get it.

T

61. J de Jong says:

Called Prometric to schedule the 71-647 exam, but they also get the "exceeded" message. I would be glad if I can take that exam.

62. Andrei Pop says:

Trika, you are the last hope we have  ๐Ÿ™‚

63. Dirk says:

I also tried to schedule the exam @ Prometric in the Netherlands. They receive the exceeded message also. Is there some more information available?

64. Peter says:

If it makes you all feel better I just registered through the web from Hungary for both exams for the 17th.

65. I have been told that the registration problem for 71-646 and 71-647 has been resolved (we heard you

66. I have been told that the registration problem for 71-646 and 71-647 has been resolved (we heard you

67. Nitesh says:

Thanks for the code. I just registered for both the beta exams.

68. Luis says:

Does anyone know of there was a time extension for these exams? I just booked 646 for the 29th January.

69. tbessi says:

Does anyone know of there was a time extension for these exams? I just booked 646 for the 23th January

70. eli says:

i got a email from Prometric

The Beta period for this exam will end 30th January 2008.

so i would say yes.

71. mkj says:

Took 71-646 today. It’s a great exam. Kudos to the ones that wrote the questions – IMHO they were just great – interesting, relevant…

72. Peter Read says:

646 was very good.  Not what I was expecting, but very relevant to a sysadmin/3rd line type.

If I found 647 easier I guess I’m getting too close to retirement already ๐Ÿ˜‰

73. Ray Frangie says:

Anyone know when we could expect the results for these exams to come through?

Cheers,

Ray.

74. Ray Aslin says:

well – I took both exams yesterday

646 was very good – questions were clearly written, and applicable

647 was a challenge but for the wrong reason.

many questions were either poorly or incompletely written, or had big mistakes – like the wrong exhibit.

I think 647 will be better after the beta process – the content was right – the questions just need work, and some editing.

all in all – not to shabby – not the hardest exam I’ve seen – windows 2000 AD design was much more difficult – reading 4 pages about a ski lift company that was going to use active directory to run their ski lifts and give smart cards to all the customers.

75. jmelvis says:

hi

will there mbe msc qualifications for web developers soon for vs2008 ?

thankx

John

76. HM says:

Please share with us more Windows Server 2008 Exam Practice Q&A.

Thanks in advanced.