Home Theatre beta invite: Extended to March 31

If you do NOT work with Home Theatre, in a sales or technology role, you will not care about this information. Something else you will not care about is how I just tripped on nothing, and kind of flew through the air in front of this guy Jeff’s office, and I said that’s embarrasing and he said oh, I thought you were jogging.

But back to business.

We are developing two exams to support those of you working with Vista Home Theatre. These were developed primarily for Microsoft Partner organizations (the big orgs who are focused mostly on consumer product sales and support), and I don’t have much info, but for those of you who are interested the betas are open now and you are welcome to participate. In fact, we’d love it.

• Exam 70-625, Windows Vista Connected Experience: Home Theater for Technologists

• Exam 70-626: Vista Connected Experience: Home Theater for Sales Professional

As far as what to study… you’re kind of on your own here. When I hear that prep guides or anything else useful is available, I’ll add to this poast. A poastscript! ———————————————

<updated December 21>Here is my belated poastscript, sorry for the delay. Egan already pointed out that the prep guides are live (thanks Egan!)

…and I’ve been meaning to add this info I picked up on a thread internally (thanks J!). “There are no requirements or prerequisites to take the exams – anyone can test on them and the length of study would depend on the background of the candidate. We have about 8 or so hours of E-Learning (see the prep guides) in the works to support the test but also experience and general knowledge and other training material covering basic networking, Vista, Home Server, etc. would apply as well. The beta is 180 minutes (225 minutes allowed for total seat time to complete NDA, comments, etc.). No release date scheduled yet –post February 2008.”

would these touch at all on XP Media Center Edition?

Technically these tests are primarily new technologies so they deal with Vista rather than XP. That said, the Media Center components that sit on top of Vista and XP are similar and the Technologist test (70-625) covers both Media Center Extender version 1 and 2.——————————

Beta Information

If you pass the beta exam, the exam credit will be added to your transcript and you will not need to take the exam in its released form.

By participating in beta exams, you have the opportunity to provide the Microsoft Certification program with feedback about exam content, which is integral to development of exams in their released version. We depend on the contributions of experienced IT professionals and developers as we continually improve exam content and maintain the value of Microsoft certifications.

Please remember that participation in the beta process is completely voluntary and Microsoft makes no promises or guarantees regarding the beta exam process. You can expect to receive your score on the beta exam within 12 weeks of taking the exam, although in some instances, beta exams may take longer to score and your results may be delayed.

Availability

Betas are open until March 31, 2008 (updated in late Feb)

Receiving this invitation does not guarantee you a seat in the beta; we recommend that you register immediately. Beta exams have limited availability and are operated under a first-come-first-served basis. Once all beta slots are filled, no additional seats will be offered.

Testing is held at Prometric and Pearson VUE testing centers worldwide, although this exam may not be available in all countries (see Regional Restrictions).  All testing centers will have the capability to offer this exam in its live version.

• Regional Restrictions: India
  • You are invited to take this beta exam at no charge.
  • You will be given four hours to complete the beta exam. Please plan accordingly.

Registration Information

You must register at least 24 hours prior to taking the exam.

Codes

• 71-625: PAGHT

• 71-626: PAGSP

To register in North America, please call Prometric: (800) 755-EXAM (800-755-3926)

Outside the U.S./Canada, please contact Prometric: http://www.register.prometric.com/ClientInformation.asp

1. Alice says:

Aha. When did the beta period begin, and when does it end?

2. Bob says:

When should I take these exams?

3. Warwick James (Sydney, Australia) says:

Not sure when it commenced, but I booked an exam for the very last day the exam is being made available… 23rd January 2008. YMMV.

4. Alice says:

Warwick – Thanks for the info. I might decide to try this, but I wasn’t going to have room in my schedule for a fourth exam this month, so I’m glad to hear we have a longer period for this beta.

5. Egan says:

The preparation guides are now posted:

I took both betas.  Not too hard if you have Vista experience and have read up on Home Server and Xbox 360.

6. Trika says:

WJ, you are taking the exam on the day before my birthday. Please plan accordingly.

7. 53 questions for 70-625.  Pretty good tests As long as you’re familiar with Vista (as in "have passed 70-620 and know the distinctions between the SKUs), Xbox360, Windows Home Server and the Media Center Extender concept, you’ll be golden.

20(!) questions for 70-626.  Very easy.  You don’t really need any technical expertise, but you do need to know the differences between the various Vista SKUs and the capabilities of Xbox360, Windows Home Server and the Media Center Extenders.

8. Scott says:

I took them both yesterday and would agree with what has been said. I’m glad I had experience with WHS we seemed to be highlighted on my exam.

9. kyrikaze says:

I agree with you!

I just took the 71-626 today, there was 20 questions, and 1 hour left.

It’s an exam very easy, but it’s because this one is designed for Sales Professional and not for IT technician or Engineer.  So, I think that for a Sale Professional, this exam difficult should be medium.

I’m planning to take the 71-625 on next saturday, I’ll come back to make my resume.

10. Roman says:

Hm, I am not able to schedule these exams later than Jan 23rd – strange. I do not get any available dates later.

11. IT says:

Hi Trika, it was not possible to schedule the exam later than Jan 23 (like Roman said)on the prometric Website. So I called prometric today and they had no information about the extension to Feb 15. Thanks for your help!!!

12. Thomas says:

Trika please help… Now both exams disappeared from the list of exams on the Prometric-Website…

13. Deezul AwT says:

Yes, I just called Prometric and they didn’t have any information regarding those codes OR those tests.  Wish I would have seen these earlier, as they really interest me.

14. Freddy says:

HELP!  I just made an attempt to register and prometric seems to know nothing about these exams!

15. Dave says:

Nothing on the prometric website πŸ™ Please help!

16. joel says:

I called Prometric last night, she said registration ended on the 23rd of Jan.

17. ed says:

I think that this  " Home Theatre beta invite: Extended to Feb 15" is simply not true.

18. wing says:

I can schedule my test in the 30th of Jan and the 11th of Feb at the Prometric website.

19. Deezul AwT says:

Confirmed.  I just registered for both exams on Prometrics site.  At the site I always take the exams, they had every day available until February 15.  Your location may vary, but you should be good to schedule now.  Enjoy!

20. Roman says:

I still can’t schedule these exams (location Germany). They are still not in the list.

21. Roman says:

Now it’s possible! The exams are back in list.

22. Matt says:

I just registered for 625 – glad I saw this! πŸ™‚

23. Roberto says:

I´ve just schedule to feb-15 here in Brazil

24. Ralph Attard says:

I cannot fine them in the list.

25. &lt;p&gt;Vista Beta Examens.&lt;/p&gt; &lt;p&gt;XBOX Media Center&lt;/p&gt; …

26. Arnab says:

How can  a person from India will take the Exam??

27. Arnab says:

How can  a person from India will take the Exam??

28. DavidinCT says:

Just got back from taking the 71-625. 53 questions. Not too bad, must know vista/XP basics, Some Media Center questions, basic networking, and a few Home Server backup/restore questions.

No score ? Never took a beta test before so I didn’t know I wouldn’t get a score. Any real idea how long it will be befor I know if I passed ?

29. Matthew ICT says:

I have been able to book the 70-625 beta exam using the code today no problem

30. Trika says:

Hello, Arnab. Often our beta exams are restricted in certain countries (including India) because of very high piracy problems we’ve run in to, for which we havne’t yet found a solution! This exam WILL be available in the live version in India. I’m sorry for the inconvenience, in the meantime, I know that is disappointing.

31. Trika says:

Hi, all. I hope anyone who wanted to was able to register for these. I was checked out and out of touch on mail/comments for the last few weeks, and wasn’t able to get right back to you on the probelms you were having with your registrations. Sorry you had troubles.

32. Hello. I took both exams today and I wish to share with you all my view.

Indeed for MCTS and MCITP the 70-625 exam will be good. Many questions are "ripped" from the Vista MCTS exam. But beware about XBox and Home Server: about 15 questions asks about features of these products. There were a mistake on one question, but I commented in the exam. Hope Trika and MS Team will read my comments.

The other exame was also good. The only thing that you really need to understand is how extender works.

I made both within two hours. Now it’s time to wait… =(

Trika, there is any preview about the publication of the results? And when these exams will be live?

33. Robbert says:

I guess now it’s waiting on the results for these 2 exams. I took them feb. 12th. and I am quite anxious for the results!

34. Deezul AwT says:

Any news on when scores will be available?  How long after a beta is closed?  This test shouldn’t be too hard to score, since many of the questions were retreads anyway.

35. Robbert says:

I’m guessing half of May or towards the end May :(. They were easy to take, scoring should not be difficult indeed!

36. Trika says:

Hey, there. I think there is still a hold-up on these, so don’t go in circles looking for results. I think it might be a little while… thanks for your patience.

37. Trika says:

I just saw this info on the topic. "These exams are currently on hold. We have the raw results from the betas, but we are currently working with groups to determine how we want these exams positioned. Since we have not yet set the passing scores for these exams you will not get your results until that process is complete.  This may not happen until June. We appreciate your patience in this process."

38. Deezul AwT says:

Ugh.  Maybe we all did TOO well, and they can’t decide whether to scrap the results or pick too high of a score…

39. Maybe….I’ve been waiting to see if I passed so I can get that swanky job at the Geek Squad. πŸ˜‰ (kidding…but no seriously give me results!)

40. Robbert says:

The last e-mail I received, stated that the score results would take at least till end of july..

I just noticed that the titles of the exams have changed. I wonder what title will show up on our transcripts.

70-625 TS: Consumer Technology Integration

70-626 Windows Connected Home Integrator

41. Hi, I’m the PM/PP for 625 and 626. We’re hoping to set the cut scores and what-nots by the end of July. That info is then queued up with Prometric and it (hopefully) should take about a month for them to rescore and send out the score reports.

The exam names have indeed changed and what is listed above should be what shows up on your transcripts.

Thanks to everyone who participated! Sorry it is taking so long to get you your scores.

42. Good to hear the numbers are coming….sometime before the fall tv season anyway. πŸ™‚

43. Jim K says:

FYI, I just happened to check my prometric candidate history and noticed that I passed 626, which I took on Jan 8.  625, which I took on Jan 22, still shows as tested, but at least we are finally seeing some progress.  No updates to the MCP transcript yet, but I’ll check there again later in the week.

Thanks again Trika for keeping everyone up to date and giving us a place to share information.

44. Jayson V says:

Um, Merry Christmas! We’re the exam results?

^__^

Like the others, my exam results show "Tested".

My new job isn’t requiring me to do any Microsoft work now. I just like to know how I did.

45. Robbert says:

Passed them both! The 626 a week and half ago, and today i notices the 625 shows up as passed on Prometric. The 626 has been under the old name in my transcript, no sign of the new name, and no sign of the 625 as of today.

I hope they get the new names right of the exams on the transcript!

46. Just checked my Candidate history today as well and My status has changed from Tested to Passed for the 625!

47. Jim K says:

Luke

Congrats!

I just checked my Candidate history today as well and my status also has changed from Tested to Passed for 625!

Wonder if the geek squad will give me a job πŸ˜‰

Thanks

Jim

48. Calvin says:

Got both passed. Xbox360 is a great study aid!

Calvin

49. The 625 is on my MCP transcript now…. Is it supposed to be treating it as an MCP? that’s what it seems to be showing up as. I thought this was an MCTS certification?

50. Calvin says:

Why no welcome kit for this MCTS?

51. Maybe that will change once this exam goes public….

52. John says:

I have passed 625! πŸ™‚

But the status of my 626 is still TESTED…

53. Fredrik Nyman says:

I passed both 725 and 726.  Yay!

54. cadawer says:

I have passed 625! πŸ™‚

But the status of my 626 is still TESTED…

and nothing on my trascript…

55. JavierBF says:

Hello.

Exam 71-626 Tested, when the results published.

Thanks.

56. 625 says:

Is there a date when we can expect that the 625 exam will change status to TS and be reflected in our transcripts, allowing us to download or receive the certificate?

57. BetaTester says:

58. Trika says:

Does everyone have their results by now? if you still show as "tested" send me an e-mail and I’ll help you get help.