They are serving ice cream at TechEd Barcelona

Here are the top three reasons to come to the Microsoft Learning booth RIGHT NOW I”M SERIOUS RIGHT NOW*

1. This is good: We’re giving out full, digital editions of the MIcrosoft Press Intro to Windows Server 2008 book – take some home to your IT mates or use for stocking stuffers

2. Gary Duffield! Yes, Gary Duffield is standing right here. He’ll autograph your WS2008 DVD if you ask him. Gary Duffield!!!!!

3. We are giving out e-learning coupons for a mass good deal that you can only get at this event. You can take the voucher home and use the code to get a year subscription to:

• Upgrading your MCSE 2003 to 2008 e-learning collection for 79 EURO, without the discount it is 200 GBP

• complete IT professional catalog of e-learning at about the same discount

*or whenever you feel like it, as long as it is before Friday at 2pm

Helmer, I’m talking to your friend Niels.

1. Gareth says:

Sorry Trika, Gary who ? oh, and where’s the ice cream ?!

2. Helmer says:

LOL @ Trika : Thnx for the shirt. Niels called me just a few minutes ago. Did you give Niels a digital edition of the Intro to Windows Server 2008 book??

3. Helmer says:

4. trikah@microsoft.com says:

YT is, unfortunately, wearing some of the ice cream. Damn.

5. Helmer says:

Are you going back in time Trika? You started this thread at 12:57 PM and your last post is done at 10:26AM…very strange…

6. Ken W says:

When will TechEd London come around?

7. Ken W says:

Or can you give out the digital book Intro to Windows Server 2008 to MCP’s that can’t make it to Barcelona?

-ken

8. Helmer says:

@Ken W : TechED London?! Eh….then I want TechEd Amsterdam again πŸ™‚

9. Peter Read says:

I’m up for TechEd London πŸ™‚

Doubt I could blag Amsterdam… πŸ™

10. Helmer says:

I don’t think it will ever be in London. Every European has to go by plane/boat lol πŸ˜‰ hehe and it HAS been to Amsterdam in the past…

11. Ehh…offtopic, but I PASSED the 70-649!! YEaah…finally received the score today!!

12. Peter Read says:

Nice one Helmer

13. Adrian says:

Congrats Helmer! I think you should definitely get some Ice Cream for that!

14. Richard Hart - hartplaza says:

Hey Trika,

Just met you at the booth, tanks again and keep up the good work on the blog. Nice to finaly know, and have met, the person behind the blog.

15. Helmer says:

LOL @ Adrian : Yeah…too bad I’m not in Barcelona to get it hehe

16. jtb says:

I’m up for a mini-TechEd Dallas…  as long as I can get a ticket…

Everything fills up fast down here!!

17. Bob says:

This is how MS employees view and pass exams?

What a crock and contradiction. He reads a brain dump and then thinks his passing exam score reflects his skills and knowledge! No wonder he thought the exam was tough–there were no brain dumps at the time. πŸ™

"This is no walk in the park, cram the morning of, read a brain dump and then pass it kind of exam. Although beta exams may be a bit more difficult than the final version (since they are tweaking the quality and accuracy of the technical questions to most accurately test and reflect skills and knowledge) this was one tough exam. If anyone out there was thinking our certifications are not a good indicator of a person’s knowledge I think this test would argue differently"

18. Lukas Beeler says:

@Bob,

Yeah, this sounds bad. But let’s not assume the worst before there’s a clarification from this guy.

19. WTF says:

Re-read the sentance Bob, he says nothing of the sort. In fact its the complete opposite!

20. James says:

And they are serving kool-aid in Redmond.

21. jtb says:

James apparently wandered in here by mistake…  The Linux room is just down the hall to the left…  over by the SCO booth…  πŸ˜‰

Seriously tho’, if one works in Redmond, why would one want to cut their economic throat (to use a rather graphic phrase) by opposing Microsoft?  Especially if one was an employee?

AFAIK, Microsoft does not require or even desire employees to: check their brains at the door, commit mass suicide, or even accept everything they’re told without question.

Does the term "get a grip on reality" seem appropriate here?

22. Helmer says:

Trika Welcome back in de USA πŸ™‚

23. Adrian says:

Just to add to Jtb’s comments

"In my [more than 15] years of experience working as a corporate customer of Microsoft, I’ve found that they prefer we use their products; but they are adept at supplying complex business and technical designs that meet the needs of people who don’t care what brand is on the package as long as it meets their requirements for cost, functionality, and delivery schedule…"

Agreed. In MS highest exam the MCA isn’t one of the basic requirements?

24. James says:

Don’t worry, there’s enough kool-aid to go around.

25. No clarification on my blog post should be needed.  If anyone had reasoned through things you would realize that a beta exam has had no one take it yet, so a braindump (if anyone was dumb enough to rely on that) wouldn’t even be possible.

In addition keep in mind what beta exams are:  they are a test to see, statistically, how difficult the exam should be overall, and the relevance and accuracy of each individual question.  Regardless of the needless hubbub over an inocuous reference to a braindump, this is an acheivement for any out there who have done it.

The brain dumps comment was a reference to the epidemic of that sort of thing we had years ago where folks would read a braindump and then take an exam.  Only a very ignorant person would think I condone that.  If anyone out there reading this was around in the industry then you know what I am talking about.

I think some folks are a bit ready to jump to conclusions.

26. Bob says:

They still use braindumps, jump to conclusions, and drink the kool-aid!

27. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Just me and Tim, sitting here, giggling our way through braindumps… wacked on Kool-Aid and mushy bananas….

Another day at Microsoft.