update from Prometric

Prometric posted an update on their partnership with us–touching on many of the points you have asked about; you should check it out. Your comments are welcome here, but send a copy of whatever you say to msledp@microsoft.com while you’re at it. Here are a few bits I know many of you are interested in…

“Each test center worldwide manages and sets their individual business hours to meet their customers’ needs. Many testing centers provide weekend and off hour testing.”

“Prometric’s schedule, reschedule, and cancellation policies are as follows:

• Schedule
    • Same day: Customers can use onsite registration
  • Reschedule
    • Same day: Customers can use call center registration
    • Same day: Customers can use onsite or call center registration…The testing center network and seat availability is based on candidate demand. Cancelling within 24-hours of an actual testing event will cause forfeiture of payment
    • More than 24-hours in advance: Customers can use web, onsite, or call center registration”

“All test centers, including IT Academies, can become a Prometric testing center. There are no additional costs or exam delivery minimums to meet*, however, centers are required to meet minimum hardware and software requirements…. *Although there are no exam delivery minimums to meet, there are exam delivery minimums to meet in order to be compensated for exam delivery.”

“…we have staffed our Global help desk with over 125 employees providing support in 12 languages through phone, e-mail, and eChat.”

1. Paul Turner says:

Good post Trika.  Thanks for keeping us informed.

2. Larry West, MCSD, MCPD, MCITP, MCTS, ... says:

No mention of fixing the lousy user interface in signing up for an exam. If I look at Kentucky sites for an available exam date, then want to look at Indiana sites (remember, I live near the border), I have to go all the way back to choosing the COUNTRY, [stepping past Uganda, et al, to get to the USA,] then the state, then the exam again. And if I decide to go back and use either of the Kentucky centers, I have to do it all over again. This takes an extra few minutes that the Pearson Vue site does not require since it lists the 20 closest sites regardless of geographical (even international) boundaries. At the very least Prometric should have it that if you want to change states it should default to whatever country you had and keep the exam you entered. Rather than saying "Change Locations" on their web site, it would currently be more correct to say "Start Over".

Prometric also needs to address what they are doing to ENCOURAGE centers to operate Saturday hours. Just saying "some already do" doesn’t cut it (especially when none around me do). Since I am on an hourly contract, I would have to give up some pay to take exams on weekdays. At the very least, they should offer evening hours. Most colleges that have testing centers have evening classes, so why don’t they offer exams in the evening? [I also have never understood why some firms that deal with the general public only have business hours when most of the general public works, thus keeping most people from going to their business.]

Trika, please assure me that these problems will be addressed. Otherwise, I have to hope that I can find a testing center opened on Martin Luther King Day before I can take another exam, and then have only one day per year to take the exam.

P.S. to catwalker: No, I’m not holding my breath.

3. Jay says:

Based on the press release, it looks like Prometric is attempting to respond to many of the issues that have been raised. Hopefully, fixing their Web site is on the list of things to do.

However, the remaining core issue that I have is how does lack of choice help the consumer?

4. Chris Lehr says:

Agree on their web site needing a LOT of work.  I have tried to register for exams multiple times and have them instantly show up as canceled for some reason as well.

5. Theodore says:

Looking at Maryland (where I live), 18 Prometric authorized centers are listed.  5 of these on the list are non-existent (they show as having no dates at all), leaving 13.  4 centers – 2 in the Baltimore area, 2 in the DC area – have Saturday hours.  NONE have off-hours testing available (one test center schedules starting-times as late as 4:15 PM).

I think it’s an improvement, but I would, personally, like to see a center in each metro area with off-hours testing.

6. Yanze says:

Always do my exams with Prometric and always an excellent experience.

Except the website and online registration process, that really needs "some" work!

7. Al says:

I wish Microsoft doesn’t cut Vue out. Prometric customer service is really lousy.

8. I hate Prometric says:

"…we have staffed our Global help desk with over 125 employees providing support in 12 languages through phone, e-mail, and eChat."

=> yet none of those are accessible, and the phone number is not listed.

9. Mike says:

Thanks for the update, Trika.

10. Kyrikaze says:

Alway waiting for my beta result of exam taken at PROMETRIC (since 5 month!!!).

I also passed 2 exam the last week, and still waiting for an update of my Prometric transcript, stil in status "pending"…So, they can’t send my result to Microsoft so my MS trasncript is not updated too.

I don’t have the same feeling as you about Prometric.

11. Slockner says:

We only have 3 testing centers in the whole state, the closest to me is always booked out at least a month, the other 2 always have next day testing howerver they are both a 2+ hour drive

12. R00 says:

Is this suppose to make me feel better about Prometric? I bugged them a year ago about updating their website to reflect ACTUAL testing centers in my area, that tiny little town of Atlanta, not the ones whose telephones have long since been disconnected. They won’t change a bit but will be more profitable thaks to this decision.

13. Chance says:

Well, I just got word that our local testing center is going to offer Prometric exams now as well as Vue, so at least I’ll be able to use the same facility.  I’m sure that most of the testing centers will follow suit if they have not already.  Just be ready for about a 30 to 60 day delay in Prometric offerings after the 1 September deadline – the sole reason I chose to schedule my remaining MCSE exams with Vue in advance.

14. Mike Cavel says:

We have had a guy here trying to test since 8:30 this morning. It is now 9:30 and Prometric is still not working. We have had nothing but trouble trying to get our testing center up on Prometric, it took more than 2 weeks just to get it to where we could run the sample test to test the operation of the center. Prometric also showed on their website that we were open on Saturdays when we set the schedule as closed on weekends.

The guy trying to test said it took more than 2 hours just to sign up for the test, now he is dealing with problems here caused by Prometric.

GREAT CHOICE MICROSOFT!!!

15. i give exam in prometric test center but i have not got transcripts in mcp site so that plz update my exam my exam no is 70-293 in mcse under

MCP ID 3814200

email address: durga_harami@hotmail.com

plz reply me

16. Durganand jha says:

my transcripts not appear in my mcp site plz verify it m

my name :Durganand jha

mcp id: 3814200

email address: durga_harami@hotmail.com

exam no:70-293

date: 09/04/2008

country:nepal

testing center:prometric

city:kathmandu

17. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Hi Durganand,

You will need to contact your helpdesk and they can sort that out for you. Thank you!

Trika

18. bikash says:

hi this is me bikash from nepal and i want to certify my IT institute with prometric .how can i certify my istitute with prometric so that i can teach CCNA, MCSE and other certify course . Does there any prometric dealer in nepal please prove me some information my emai address is bikashkcha@yahoo.com