what’s new, MCPussycat

Hello. Apparently, even with YT out of the office, people were still able to accomplish things at MIcrosoft. Though this damages my sense of self-worth and hurts my feelings a little, I won’t stop you from hearing the new bits, as follows:

1. Lifecycle policies for new generation (that I poasted about earlier) are now official on the microsoft.com/learning site. On my earlier post you made some good points and questions, look for more info soon.
  2. Number of certified professionals… updated as of August 20 with all the new certifications included. In related news, I enjoy the smart ass posters who frequent our newsgroups. i.e. “I was about to swear off Microsoft certifications forever but then they updated the Number of MCPs page…When I looked at it, I realized how special I am. My Microsoft certifications really validate my existence.” (Full post here, but FYI these particular smart asses have demonstrated poor social graces–at least in the newsgroups–so brace yourself.)
  3. Speaking of new certifications, here are pointers to some new or updated introductory pages. In no particular order:
  4. the Windows Server 2008 learning portal has been updated with some new info and offers. Check it.

It is clear that I am not needed here; I plan to return to New Zealand immediately.

1. Kent Altena says:

How soon after passing 70-620 should it appear on one’s transcript?  I am rapidly nearing one month since passing, and no word on it yet.  Vue shows the pass.

2. Elias Mereb says:

Are you planning to list the MCT’s ?

3. Alice says:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/newgen/lifecycle/default.mspx :

"When an MCTS certification retires, it no longer appears on your transcript, and you cannot create or use the related logo. All related exams that you have passed remain listed as “passed” on your transcript."

Nooooo! 🙁 🙁 At least the exams will remain listed, but they REALLY ought to let people still use the credential. It doesn’t matter whether Microsoft is still providing support for the software, you should still get your recognition for knowing it — if anything, someone that continues using software when it’s out of MS’s support period will be all the more wanting to identify people who are knowledgeable about that software, both to help them continue to use it and to help them upgrade eventually.

Any relation between MS’s software lifecycle and the certification lifecycle should not go any further than setting deadlines on when the exams will stop being offered for new people to take them.

As for suggestions on the new cert intro pages, here’s one thing I noticed. There is very inadequate explanation on the MCITP:EST page (and it’s probably the same on all the others, too, but I only read through all of this one) regarding the need to have specific MCTS exam/s first. (The only thing it says is "MCITP candidates with the MCTS prerequisite must pass one exam focusing on responding to issues assigned or escalated from tier 1 support.") There should be a list of the specific exams and credentials (linked to their own pages) that qualify for that prerequisite on every MCITP/MCPD cert page, and then as exams are eventually retired, leave them on the list and say they no longer qualify because they were retired on such-and-such a date.

4. Mike says:

Thanks for the update, Trika!

5. Welcome back my sista. I hope you are well relaxed. We missed you! Anything in the mail for me?!? 🙂

6. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Kent, it should be there within 24 hours after your test provider registers the score. Did you contact the helpdesk?

Elias, we probably can, yes.

You’re welcome Mike

Michael, yes, a kangaroo.

Alice, I fwded your comment around about lifecycle – and we’ll incorporate your suggestion on the cert grids. Thanks for taking time to let us "Nooooo!" how you feel! 🙂

7. Damir says:

Is there any way that you can provide numbers of certified people for specific country? I need that info for Bosnia. I’ve sent you an e-mail about this, but did not receive any reply.

Thanks!

8. Boris says:

One of 8000 MCSE:M 2003… And working for company with Novell and Notes. What are doing here?

9. Good move by Microsoft and MSL to implement retirement of certifications. I believe Microsoft should have stuck to their guns 7+ years ago when they announce the same thing for the MCSE NT4.0 certification. For those who want static certifications, sit CompTIA who’s certifications never retire. I took my A+ 8 years ago! Do you think that information or certification means anything to me or my employer? If it does for the latter, then I have to reconsider my employer. Having the exams and certifications retire makes room for the new. IT is a dynamic field. So it seems logical that the certification be dynamic too. I do not work on any operating system past Windows 2000 — and I am going to stop that support the first of the year. For those clients that are living in the past, they will have 2 choices: Upgrade or find another consultant. If you explain the benefits and features of the new, it will sell itself.

10. hartplaza says:

11. hartplaza says:

Would a searchable database be nice, so people can query the database. So you can fill in exam number and country and the result is how many people took a certain exam worldwide and how many of those are in the country you queried on? That way, everybody get the numbers he/she wants to see

12. Larry West, MCSD, MCPD, MCITP, MCTS, ... says:

Re: "We need to make these easier to use/read. If you have suggestions, let me know."

It would be really nice if the lines in the "Skills being measured" were hyperlinked to the appropriate Microsoft web page (MSDN, TechNet, et al). That would save a lot of time hunting down the appropriate information.

13. Larry, what would be ideal is if people actually read and understood the "Skills Being Measured" before sitting an exam. 🙂

14. Yanze says:

"retiring certification is one thing, not showing retired certification is an other. Even if my certification retires (like MS products do), I still want to show my certification history. It tells something about te person, how serious the person is in keeping track on newer products/certifications etc."

I completely agree with this one!

15. Thats why Microsoft gives you that pretty certification to hang on your wall — oh and your MCP Card! However, I do miss the pins. But I disgress. I believe I see what Microsoft is trying to accomplish here. If it is on your transcript; you can claim you are still certified in that technology — although it may be retired or not supported any longer. This is what they are trying to avoid. However, I do not think it would be difficult for Microsoft to add the (RETIRED) addendum behind the certification listed on your transcript if it so applies. This way you can still keep track of your accomplishments, but barred from the benefits of it.

16. Rob.au says:

Yikes… 103 MCITP:Consumer Support Technicians in the world and I’m one of them. 🙂

17. Yanze says:

"Yikes… 103 MCITP:Consumer Support Technicians in the world and I’m one of them. :)"

I’m doing exam 70-623 tomorrow morning 🙂

18. Mike says:

I agree with Michael – retire the certifications, but keep them on the transcripts notated as such.

19. Rob.au says:

Another vote for continuing to show retired/expired certifications on the transcript.  Removing it entirely just makes no sense whatsoever.

For us, it is part of our history – showing that we are keeping up with new technology isn’t just showing current certifications, it’s showing the full collection, retired AND current.

20. Tomasz says:

"it should be there within 24 hours after your test provider registers the score."

What about MCITP credentials? Since friday my transcript says I passed 70-634 (did 632 and 633 earlier, of course), but no MCITP yet. Should I wait for the site to come to its senses or call the helpdesk? (I didn’t have such issues with MCDST, it appeared immediately after registering the scores for the prerequisite exams..)

21. Tomasz says:

Oh never mind, it seems to have appeared through last night (European time).

Skip to main content