MCSA/MCSE 2003 invited to beta WS2008 transition exams

Below, the beta information for 2003–>2008 exams 71-648 and 71-649 (for which we did an original beta run at TechEd in Orlando). Only take these exams if you are MCSA or MCSE on Windows Server 2003no one else will receive credit for participating. If you’d like to participate in the beta, please review all of the information below very carefully.

Register for Beta Exam 71-648 or 71-649

MCSA and MCSE on Windows Server 2003 are invited to participate in the beta of exam 71-648 or 71-649 toward Windows Server 2008 certifications. If you pass the beta exam, the exam credit will be added to your transcript and you will not need to take the exam in its released form.

71-648: TS: Transitioning your MCSA on Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 Technology Specialist counts as credit towards the following certification(s).

• Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist: Windows Server® 2008 Active Directory Configuration
  • Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist: Windows Server® 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration

71-649: TS: Transitioning your MCSE on Windows Server® 2003 to Windows Server® 2008 Technology Specialist counts as credit towards the following certification(s).

• Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist: Windows Server® 2008 Application Platform Configuration

By participating in beta exams, you have the opportunity to provide the Microsoft Certification program with feedback about exam content, which is integral to development of exams in their released version. We depend on the contributions of experienced IT professionals and developers as we continually improve exam content and maintain the value of Microsoft certifications.

Please remember that participation in the beta process is completely voluntary and Microsoft makes no promises or guarantees regarding the beta exam process. You can expect to receive your score on the beta exam within 12 weeks of taking the exam, although in some instances, beta exams may take longer to score and your results may be delayed.

Registration begins: July 9, 2007

Beta exam period runs: July 9, 2007– August 3, 2007

Receiving this invitation does not guarantee you a seat in the beta; we recommend that you register immediately. Beta exams have limited availability and are operated under a first-come-first-served basis. Once all beta slots are filled, no additional seats will be offered.

Testing is held at Prometric and Pearson VUE testing centers worldwide, although this exam may not be available in all countries (see Regional Restrictions). All testing centers will have the capability to offer this exam in its live version.

Regional Restrictions: India

Registration Information

You must register at least 24 hours prior to taking the exam.
Please use the following promotional code when registering for the exam:

• TIG648 for exam 71-648
  • TIG649 for exam 71-649

To register in North America, please call:

•Prometric: (800) 755-EXAM (800-755-3926)

•VUE: 800 TEST REGistration (800-837-8734)

Outside the U.S./Canada, please contact:

Test Information and Support

You are invited to take this beta exam at no charge.
You will be given four hours to complete the beta exam. Please plan accordingly.
Find exam preparation information:

Frequently Asked Questions

For Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) help and information, you may log in to the MCP Web site at or contact your Regional Service Center:

What is a beta exam?

Where can I learn more about the registration process?

When will my beta exam results be available?

Where can I learn more about the beta exam invitation process?

Where can I learn more about the new structure of Microsoft Certification?

Who do I contact for help with this beta exam or other MCP questions?

1. Daniel says:

Is it a good idea to publish the promotion code here? :-/

2. bob says:

Go for it, it usually isn’t that hard to guess anyways.

3. Chance says:

I’m still wondering if this is any indication on the status of Vue after August 31st.  Please provide some current insight on this.

Still a bad decision IMHO.

4. Lukas Beeler says:

Yes, i think so. Because if it wasn’t for this blog post, i wouldn’t been able to register.

I’ve got my seat for tomorrow morning, 09:00 🙂

5. Jump on this while you can – go to Prometric’s site and register for 71-648 for MCSA 2008 or 71-649 for MCSE 2008. If you are a MCSA 2003 and not MCSE 2003 yet, use TIG648 for the promo code and only take 71-648 to go to MCSA 2008. If you are a MCS

6. adrian says:

After the very bad experience with the beta exams for Vista, I will definetly bypass this beta offer….( Windows 2008 has already been announce that is delayed until next year), I also believe that the results for these beta exams won’t be made public until after the official release of the product, that mean next year,8 to 12 month after someone has take the beta exam.

It seems that Microsoft is going on a down pathway …

I think this is one of the main reason for which Trika has posted, on clear, the promotion code.

7. says:

I was just asked if it is OK to register with VUE for this beta. The answer is YES. VUE will continue selling and honoring exams until the dates we announced…"Pearson VUE will discontinue selling Microsoft professional certification exams after August 31, 2007. To accommodate those who purchase Microsoft professional certification exams through August 31, Pearson VUE will continue to administer the exams through December 31, 2007."

8. says:

Daniel: We usually don’t make these codes public… but in this case the only people who can use it (MCSA/MCSE 2003) are the people we want to take it, so it is OK if it is out in the open. Make sense?

Lukas: Good luck.

Adrian: Can’t blame you on shying away after the Vista drama… I’m hoping that is not something we’ll repeat. As far as timing… these exams are available in advance of the February 2008 WS2008 launch, so your beta results would be avaialble at that point. I’ll find an update on our WS2008 exam/cert release schedule and share that out.

9. Daniek says:

only MCSA/MCSE 2003 "can" or "should" register with this code? If it is technically possible to register without being MCSA/MCSE, I’m sure you will have some poeple taking this exam who are not MCSE or MCSA :))  Why would they do that? no idea 😛

10. Alice says:

Wow, I wonder if they ever sent this out in email invites at all. Belatedly seeing it here is great compared to not seeing it at all, but dang… this seems like unusually short notice. "Published Tuesday, July 17, 2007". "Beta exam period runs: July 9, 2007– August 3, 2007".

Not only do we only have two weekends remaining to do it in (and I’m out of town for one of them) (why couldn’t it have lasted till August 4?), but you normally get 1-2 weeks notice before the exam dates even begin.

Like for 71-622: "Registration begins: November 27, 2006. Beta exam period runs: December 7 – December 21, 2006." For 71-620: "Registration begins: October 23, 2006. Beta exam period runs: October 31 – November 13, 2006."

At least I got a spot at all, but I wish there’d been more advance warning, to leave time to prepare!

And for that matter, I wish it had been delayed a few more months; I’m not quite finished with MCSE yet, so even if I manage to pass this exam, I’ll still have to come back for the third TS separately later. (Hopefully there are betas coming up later for those individual tests.)

11. Peter Read says:

Now, am I the only person wondering whether to do both in case I manage not to pass the ‘big’ one?

12. Larry West MCSD, MCPD, MCITP, MCTS, etc. says:

Trika: If we expect to be an MCSA 2003 by the end of the year (I only need 218 and 292), can we still take the exam, or do we have to be a MCSA or MCSE 2003 NOW?

13. O pessoal que é MCSA ou MCSE (ambos na versão 2003) podem se inscrever pra prova beta de upgrade para…

14. Christian says:

I am trying to register in the UK over prometric site and I keep getting a Timeout Expired when I try to validate the promo code!!

15. Bob G. says:

I’ve now taken the 649 and 648 exams.

16. This is one awesome opportunity, and something I would forsee the beta seats filling up VERY quickly.

17. Chance says:

Yeah…and they will fill up a whole lot faster after they only have one exam provider.  That or no one will take the beta because they don’t live close enough to a Prometric testing center.

Hopefully there’s some common sense applied before Prometric takes over.

18. Christian says:

Ok yay its now working in the UK no more timeouts… here I come 649!!!

19. Christian says:

Now i just need to find where to buy mitch’s intro to 2008 book in london… 🙂

20. Peter Read says:

Good luck all 🙂

21. Yanze says:

Many thanks for this offer, I’ve booked my 71-649 for August 3 😉

22. Warwick James says:

Booked in also for August 3. Sydney, Australia.

There’s quite a lot of information online about the content areas of 649, so I’m hopeful…

23. Peter Read says:

I’ve been using the beta a good while (though not in a live environment 😉 ), so I’m pretty hopeful.  Would ideally have liked another week or so, but I don’t see how I can argue with free!

Shame it won’t run in VPC on my laptop…  (RAM, not a VPC problem…)  Guess I’ll have to check out the e-learning.

24. Ken W says:

Signed up 🙂  Hopefully I’ll pass this one like the 71-621.

25. Helmer says:

yeah…ik booked the 71-649 for the 2nd of August 🙂

26. Aki says:

Disclosing promo codes and possibility for anyone to register and take beta exams makes question pool vulnerable. Very bad decision, quite opposite to MS ‘Exam Integrity’ policy.

27. היי, בעלת הסמכת MCSEMCSA 2003? תוכל לגשת עכשיו בחינם לבחינת BETA של Windows Server 2008. מידע נוסף

28. Cipollini22 says:

A very good book for german speaking people is Windows Server 2008 from Ulrich B. Boddenberg.

I hope, it’s enough to pass the exam on 3rd. August

29. Looks like we’re starting to see the beta exams for the new MCITP upgrades trickling out. Remember that beta exams are no cost, but substantially longer than the regular exams. They can really take it out of you! Normally, I’d completely recommend getting

30. Pedmil says:

Trika, I’m worried.

Yesterday I took my 648 Exam, 85 questions .. wow … but is BETA, I was expecting something like that.

Guys beware on IPV6, PKI, DNS, Remote Office Installation and WDS (Deployment Scenarios). I think I didn’t afect on the NDA, right Trika ??

What worries me is that I really wanted to help Microsoft on Beta exam, but I had only more or less 30 minutes of time to make my comments. This was far from enouhgt. Sudently at a middle of a question, Your time is up.

Shouldn’t BETA have more time for Comments? it is more question and if we are taking BETA exam you should help you guys … isn’t that SO?

I love BETA because if you passe it, that’s because you really know what you’re talking about 😉

31. Aaron says:

Well I took it 649 on Wenesday. I feel very satisfied with the 1 week that I cramed for this exam, I would have liked a little more time to review before the exam, but that is what you should exect for a beta exam. I was able to read and absorb the Intro to Windows 2008 book in only one week. I am not sure if I can hold out for 8 weeks to find out my results. At least now I have an understanding of what area the real test will probably cover.

Thanks Tirka for the opportunity to take this exam.

32. Alberto says:

I had scheduled the exam 71-649 for Aug 3rd and I checked today in the Prometric website and it had been cancelled :S.. Great.. first the problem with the results of the beta Vista exams and now this.. Great!

33. Alberto says:

Tried to schedule with VUE and the promotion obviously doesnt work anymore…

34. Alberto says:

Ok, I got the exam scheduled again by calling Prometric… The test center was going to be closed that day, so the exam was cacelled.. without sending an email or anything… hope you reconsider the decision of having only prometric as test provider… it will be a nightmare

Well, sorry for so many posts about the same problem.. I read here sometime that this was the right place to write when I want to vent

35. Peter Read says:

Ouch!!!!  Just sat 649 today, I’m thinking/hoping I got around 70-80% right, but geez that was as harsh an MS exam as I’ve ever taken.

36. Ant's Blog says:

As many bloggers out there have all ready posted on, Trikah’s posted ( View article… ) on the BETA

37. CTGOH says:

When will this exam come to live?

38. says:

Pedmil, I’m not sure but will forward your comments to our team. If you ever have comments you weren’t able to submit – send them my way; late feebdack is better than not at all.

Alberto, did you get things sorted? Send me a mail, I’m just curious.

CTGOH: October 29.

39. CTGOH says:

Hi Trikah,

yea, i saw it in another post already. now waiting for the beta result 😉 hopefully this time i will received the report as my previous experience i miss out my report and i need to send an email to my testing center.

40. Peter Read says:

Under 3 weeks to go live…  I could sure use those results so I know if I can plod on with Exchange 2k7 now….  Any news beyond ‘by 29th’?

41. Gregory Smith says:

Vue has posted results for me as of now.

42. Gregory Smith says:

Vue has posted results for me as of now.