To be clear: 70-620 as MCSA/MCSE elective

For both MCSA and MCSE 2000 and 2003, 70-620 (“Big Vista” exam) can be used to satisfy:

• core exam for client requirement OR
  • general elective

• just not BOTH in the same track.

In this post, I said that 620 can be used as a CLIENT ELECTIVE, but it is more accurate to say that it is one of your options for your CORE CLIENT ELECTIVES. Is that better? These updates should be reflected in the MCSA/MCSE requirements pages on MSCOM/learning momentarily.

UPDATE September 2007: 70-620 can be used for your Messaging and Security specializations too.

1. Mazen says:

so if you take this exam you will be MCP either

2. Glenn Jenkins says:

Will 621 be able to be used as an elective for MCSE?

3. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Mazen: 620 will not earn you an MCP credential. It will earn an MCTS credential. You will have access to the MCP site, etc. as MCTS.

Glenn: No. Upgrade exams (even though 621 earns the MCITP: Ent Support) do not count as elective credit.

4. Steven says:

Do we can take 70-620 instead of the " Core Exams: Client ‎Operating System (One Exam Required)" which they are 70-270 ‎or 70-210 for MCSA 2003.‎

So the certification path become as follow:‎

‎70-620 → 70-290 → 70-291 → and one of the Elective exams list ‎

Is it right or not pleas tell me………‎

And what dose trikah mean by general elective? ‎

5. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Yes, that is correct. By general elective I just mean elective… the "Electives – one exam required" section from this page: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

6. Jan says:

Hi I have 3 questions pleas answer me…..

Q1: if I become certified with MCSA 2003 and take the 70-620 that mean I have 2 ‎certifications MCSA and MCTS.  is that right?!‎

Q2: if I took only 70-620 + 70-290 +70-291+ elective course that mean I got 2 ‎certifications MCSA 2003 and MCST or only MCSA 2003?‎

Q3: if we conceder the above scenarios which one of them will be up graded from ‎MCSA 2003 to longhorn server and why?‎

Thanks ‎in advance

7. tom says:

is it true that 3062007 is the deadline for MCSA 2003 exams or what?!………

8. Andy says:

Q1: yes

Q2: yes

Q3: N/A

9. Andy says:

No. June 30, 2008 is the last date for SA/SE upgrade exams.

10. Jan says:

any one help me

Q1: If I become certified with MCSA 2003 and take the 70-620 that mean I have 2 ‎certifications MCSA and MCTS.  is that right?!‎

Q2: If I took only 70-620 + 70-290 +70-291+ elective course that mean I got 2 ‎certifications MCSA 2003 and MCST or only MCSA 2003?‎

Q3: If we conceder the above scenarios which one of them will be up graded from ‎MCSA 2003 to longhorn server and why?‎

Thanks ‎in advance

11. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Tom: June 30, 2007 (seven) is the deadline to register for the discount voucher on "2003 to Longhorn" upgrade exams. March 2008 (eight) is when we will be retiring all the WS2000 exams (including the upgrade exams 292 and 296 that get people from 2000 to 2003). There have been no announcements (and nothing planned) to retire any WS2003-related exams other than 292 and 296.

12. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Adding to Andy’s answers:

Q1. Yes

Q2. If you pass 620 you will earn an MCTS; even if you are taking 620 as part of your MCSA requirements. So, Yes, you will earn both certifications.

Q3. If you hold an MCSA 2003 (with or without 70-620), you qualify for an upgrade path to Windows Server "Longhorn" certification.

13. Ben says:

Hi,

The 70-620 is still not visible on the "certification planer" as "Administering group" category for MCSE (on the MCP Home website).

But we can see it in the "Electives" category.

When will the 70-620 be available into "Administering group" for MCSE ?

14. HeeSoo says:

Hi,

Wandering if I can do the following to obtain my MCSE 2003.

70-270 → 70-290 → 70-291 → ‎70-620

15. HeeSoo says:

Hi Trikah

Sorry I meant MCSA 2003.

Thanks.

HeeSoo

16. billy says:

Hi I don’t understant because,

I have 70-290/291/293/294/297/350/620 exam and I have only MCP and MCTS credential.

With this 7 exams, I must be MCSA/MCSE, but it’s not appear on my transcript

17. Rodrigo says:

I have 70-290/70-620/70-291/70-299/70-293/70-294/70-298.

I did apply my CompTIA Security+ credential to my MCSA/MCSE wishing to get MCSA/MCSE: Security specialization but for my frustation it is not showing on my transcript.

Checking out the MS links I can notice the 70-620 is not listed as "Core exams: client operating system" for both specializations. I’d like to understand why it is valid to get MCSA/MCSE and not to get Security specialization… Do you know why?

18. Michael says:

Can I second Rodrigo’s query?

70-620 is a core client elective for MCSE/MCSA but not for either of the Messaging or Security specialisations. I’ve just completed 70-620, and I want to aim for a MCSA: Security. Do I need to go back and do 70-210 or 70-270?

Thanks,

M

19. Praboda (Sri Lanka) says:

Is 70-620 = MCP or not ?? Pls ….

20. Aftab yo says:

I cleared my mcp exam just two days back but I can’t see it in my Transcript. I wonder how long it takes for Microsoft to update the result in the website and display my transcript.

Thanks!

21. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Rodrigo, Michael: http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/archive/2007/09/20/70-620-is-the-new-black.aspx

Praboda: 70-620 does not earn an "MCP" certification. It earns an "MCTS: Vista" certification. But with your MCTS certification, you have the same benefits (mcp site, welcome kit, etc.) as you do earning an "MCP" cert… with any certification you are part of the MCP Community. DOes taht make sense?

Aftab, up to two weeks (doesn’t usually take that long but in case of any glitches I believe that is the window we state before we recommend you contact the helpdesk to ask what’s up.

22. john says:

I finished my schooling for MCSE 2003 but have not taken the exams yet.  Can I still take them and if so when is the deadline to getting certified for 2003

23. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Hey, John. Yes, you can. No deadeline for passing those exams – we are just retiring the Windows Server 2000 exams this year… so you get an idea of how long the 2003 exams will be available. Go for it! Use the Second Shot offer when you start on your track, and use Vista exam 620 or 624 as an elective, as that will apply to your WS2008 certifications if you choose to do that someday… Good luck!!!!

24. Tsunami says:

i took 620 as core OS. now im mcse and want to upgrade to mcitp:ea. do i have to take 624 or can i just take 649 and 647