One in a million. I mean, one in 1,433.

If you have a Microsoft Certified Professional Developer (MCPD) credential, you are one of 1,433 people worldwide. If you have a MCSE on Windows Server 2003, you are one of 68,668 worldwide. For more, check out the page we just updated here. Let me know how else you’d like to see this updated. Next time I’ll ask to have the different certs of MCTS, MCPD, MCITP added…

You’re one in a million. Really. I mean it. One!! In a million!

1. hartplaza says:

I also would like to see the "older" certifications like MCSE NT4.0.

2. Varanusz says:

agree with hartplaza, i’m interested in nt4 certs. also in the nr of MCP’s.

3. Pete says:

MCS(A|E):(S|M) in 2k3 could be interesting too.

4. Alfred Myers says:

From MCPDs, how many are Enterprise Applications Developer?

5. MagnusJ says:

It would be interesting to see a breakdown in the MCTS group. Biztalk/.NET 2.0 Web/SQLServer/Mobile etc…

Also, similar in the MCPD group:

Web/Windows/Enterprise

/M

6. MagnusJ says:

Also, similar in the MCPD group:

Web/Windows/Enterprise

/M

7. Kjetil says:

And maybe breakdown on the one that got the specializations on 2003? (Security/Exchange)

8. S.Y.Paul Lai says:

Wow, I didn’t expect the number is still so low, after a whole year.  I passed the MCPD exams in beta and the certification dates of all my 3 MCPD credentials are 1st March, 2006.

9. Niall says:

Cool numbers.. Is it possible to get a break down of the devs and the disciplines???

10. RhysW says:

As a few others have mentioned, it would be good to see the specialisations in MCSA or MCSE.

I would also be interested in geographical breakdown per continent  and MCA certifications.

11. Miklos says:

It will be great if we can see also the number of MCT that are in the world :)… the challenge here is that the number can increase or decrease each year (but more probably increase)..

And also what about the MCA? a number should be great to know how many are in the world

– Miklos

12. Helmer says:

Hi there,

It would be nice if the Security and Messaging specialisations would be visible in the table.

Too bad MCTS isn’t in the list :-(

I’m curious how many MCTS – Windows Vista Configuring there are in the world…

13. Sean Bryson says:

I would really like to see a complete breakdown of certifications and not just a bucket approach.  For example, instead of just listing total number of MCTS certified individuals, do a breakdown.  So, show us how many people hold the MCTS: Office Live Communications Server 2005 or the MCTS: Office SharePoint Server, Configuration.  This should also be done for the MCSE tracks like the MCSE: Security on Windows Server 2003, etc.  I think this would provide better value so both those certified and those looking at certified job candidates can get a clear picture on the total number of people certified.

14. Martin says:

To some of the asking

There used to be a good site and column about this topic in MCPMAG. ("MCPs in the Numbers")

Too bad they stopped it.

Here’s a link to the final edition – with some MCP/MCSE numbers:

15. Niall M says:

What are the chances of getting these numbers.. I would like it to show the value of the certs in our place

16. Larry West MCSD, MCPD, MCITP, MCTS x5, etc. says:

Trika,

How hard would it be for someone at Microsoft to write a trigger that would poll the certified professional database and update the numbers on a regular (even nightly) basis? Surely, someone at Microsoft knows how to do it!

I agree with the others that the breakdowns should be included.

I am also curious as to how many people besides myself have the MCPD, MCITP, and MCTS (multiple certifications).

17. Meile Zetstra says:

Trika,

How about an estimate on when we could expect a new refreshed page with the numbers? Seeing that the current page is dated March 1, 2007, I’ld say it’s time for an update.

And of course the many breakdowns mentioned would also be very nice to have.

18. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Check it, this request is in the web queue (it won’t have all the new certs yet but most/all of your other requests were used). I think it will be updated in the next week? or two? I’ll let you know when it is. We have a new person to help with this stuff now, so the plan is to update this page once per month.

19. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Larry. That is a great idea. I’ll ask if that could be on our list. The thing is, it probably isn’t "hard," the question is more 1) how many MSFT policies, people capacity, existing software, database feeds & firewalls, web platform limitations, etc. do we have to navigate to get it done! And, if we can… is this more important than one of the other requests in the list. But I’d love it – I’ll see if someone can scope it out for us.

20. If it isn’t enough to have your mom tell you, you can now find out how special you are by seeing how

21. If it isn't enough to have your mom tell you, you can now find out how special you are by seeing

22. Hi Trika!

It would be nice to be able to see how many MCTS: Live Communications Server 2005 there is in the world.

I think that LCS, or really more accurate OCS, will come out of its hiding behind Exchange Server and start taking more ground than ever before.

A nice indicator of how well it´s received in the hands of the IT Consultants, as well as customer demands, is the number of certified professionals.

Regards

Jesper Bernle

23. AdamV says:

I am an MCP and striving for my MCSA:Messaging then MCSE

I work a lot with small businesses and my MOS:Master qualification helps me provide them an all-round holistic service in building systems for _people_ to _use_ – so I look at how they use their apps as much as the backend infrastructure.

With Sharepoint increasingly moving into this space this combination is really valuable.

So, I would like to see:

MOS qualifications (per app, per level (normal / expert), per version 2000 / 2003). Or at least total normal / total expert / total master. I appreciate this is somewhat different from the technical track, so maybe a different page to show this would make sense.

*wishlist* the overlap of MCP-track and MOS-track ie how many people hold both. (I accept this may be empirically hard to tie together with any degree of accuracy because of the separate registrations for the two systems via different exam houses etc).