Do you spend hours and hours wondering what certification exams MSFT employees are taking?

If so,

A. I am a little worried about you, because that is lame.

B. You are in luck!

TechReady (Microsoft’s conference for technical staff like evangelists, support, technical sales, etc…) was in Seattle a few weeks ago. There is a certification test center and study hall at the event, jointly offered by the internal training group that puts on the event, MIcrosoft Learning, and Pearson VUE. It is fun. I have been the last few years, because my first job in Microsoft Learning was focused on employees and certification. OK. On to the info, for lack of which, you haven’t been able to sleep at night:

Number of exams taken by Microsoft employees during the four day event: 1,199.

Top 10 most popular exams taken (Vista, WIndows Server 2003, and Sharepoint were the big hits):

070-620

TS: Configuring Windows Vista Client

070-631

TS: Configuring Microsoft® Windows® SharePoint® Services 3.0

070-630

TS: Configuring Microsoft® Office SharePoint® Server 2007

070-290

Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows Server 2003 Environment

070-291

Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

070-235

TS: Developing Business Process and Integration Solutions by Using Microsoft® BizTalk® Server 2006

070-292

Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003 Environment for an MCSA Certified on Windows 2000

070-431

TS: Microsoft® SQL Server 2005 – Implementation and Maintenance

070-296

Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Microsoft® Windows® Server 2003 Environment for an MCSE Certified on Windows 2000

1. NiallM says:

Hi Trika

Does you have the breakdown of the new certification numbers?? Such as the number of MCTS and MCPDs?

2. Richard says:

Do you have avarage passing scores?

3. Chris Haaker says:

How many times did 70-292 get failed? 🙂 I cannot talk, I failed it 3 or 4 times, I dont remember for sure as I purged it from my memory to protect my fragile mind!

4. Justin says:

The 70-292 sucked. Took me 3 times!  Most difficult exam I have taken. Only one I have ever failed to!

5. Justin says:

6. Justin says:

7. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Niall, I submitted an update to our MSCOM page with the breakdown by credential… hopefully that will be posted soon and I’ll point you guys to it when it gets updated. I’m going to try and update it every 2 months.

No, I dont have average passing scores. But it never hurts to ask… I’ll let you know if I can share that.

About 292, would like your thoughts. We are about to do a big push to encourage people to get up to 2003 from 2000 and 292 is, obviously, part of that path (or all of it, for MCSAs). Given that it has a rep for being really difficult… what can we be doing to help customers who want to take it now? Did you find there was any training material in particiular that was more helpful? Or any other tips I can share? Let me know if you have any ideas. PS justin and Chris, congratulations on passing it, eventually!

8. trikah@microsoft.com says:

I’m not allowed to post those. Sorry.