Business Certifications for Microsoft Office 2007

We have released new certifications (for Office workers) for MIcrosoft Office 2007… they are called Microsoft Business Certifications and are structured differently than the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certifications on Office 2003. The audience is still for people like me, who spend much of the day in Office apps, creating really, really fascinating PPTs and must-read Word documents. But you, dear readers, might like to check them out too.

There are two credentials in the Business Certifications program: a Microsoft Certified Application Specialist certification that says you know how to use one Office app (Excel, Access..). The next level is a Microsoft Certified Application Professional, which says you know how to use the technologies to get stuff done at work (mangage budgets, team collaboration…). If this sounds familiar, that’s good, because it is similarly structured to the new generation IT pro and developer certifications, where an MCTS demonstrates technology knowledge and MCITP or MCPD is intended to validate job role skills using the technology.

The first exams available (in March) will be on Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. Next up Outlook and Access. I took the beta for the Word exam a month ago; I’ll let you know if I pass. There is a possibility that I’ll let you know if I did not pass. Something new: there is a Vista cert for Office workers as part of this program, available in August along with the first of the Application Professional credentials.

When you stop making fun of your non-IT co-workers for not knowing what partition limits are or whether E12 runs on SBS, you can tell them to learn more about the new Office 2007 certifications here:

1. Business Certification landing page.

2. Article on the new certs.

3. Find the list of planned certs and timeline on this link

1. Hey Trika. Are these new MBCs designed to replace the MOS for the future of Microsoft Certification Program? Meaning the MOS certification will be "retired", for a lack of a better term, with Office 2003?

Or are the MBCs designed as a different certification beast; to work beside the MOS certification?

2. Gareth says:

This sounds like really good news in terms of getting people to make the most of office, especially if it’s marketed in a way so that information workers actually get to here about it. Very few office staff that I have met have ever heard of the MOS certs (and I haven’t seen any businesses here in the UK push people towards such training that’s actually targeted towards the certs), I hope there’ll be more efforts towards making users and businesses aware.

On the flipside, this could mean that the gap between the customer’s Office skills and my Office skills gets even wider…….!

3. Vincent says:

Hi Michael

By reading the article mentioned in Point #2, I think the Application Specialist esignation is going to replace Office Specialist. It will validate an end user’s proficiency and skill within a single application: Windows Vista, Office Word 2007, Office Excel 2007, Office Outlook 2007, Office PowerPoint 2007 and Office Access 2007.

4. Jack says:

So, the beta periods for these Business Certifications have already passed?

5. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Michael: MOS will continue to be the credential of choice for Office 2003 applications; but beginning with 2007, MSBC is the format—there will be no MOS certifications on 2007 or beyond. The two programs will live side by side, just as technologies do for a period of years.

Vincent: Right you are. App Spec is kind of the ‘next gen” office specialist

Jack: Some of the betas (word, excel, PPT) have already finished; others will be coming up soon. but I don’t believe there is a process for customers to sign themselves up… I’ll check on it further.

6. Andrew Haigh says:

Does anyone know if there will be an equivalent to the Master Instructor certification for MCAS and MCAP?

7. Prep guides for the first few Microsoft Business Certifications I was mumbling about earlier are now

8. Akshat says:

I just looked up for the MCP certiport and i realized that I was experiencing excruciating pain in my jaw cz it just dropped on the floor. I mean the last update on the India webpage was listed as, (hold your breath..) Dec. 4, 2002. I mean thats just so appalling. I use genuine MS software and I wanna know what more I can do with what I paid for. And I cant do that cz there is not even a single certiport centre here in Mumbai. Talk about being a Third World Citizen. Or maybe thats why Gates was stripped by forbes of his glory. Cz his people are starting to let go the work they are supposed to do. <Sigh>