What the Heck Happened to 71-623? (or, Update on Vista Exams)

FEBRUARY 2: ADDED NEW DATES AND BETA INFO, BELOW.

For those of you who were asking about the 623 beta, thanks for your patience. Here’s what’s up: basically, we need to take more time on the MCITP-level Vista exams to make sure they’re right on, so that is why 71-623 was put on hold and why your seats were cancelled. No new dates yet. Websites not updated yet. Working on it… Here’s the official word:

The release dates of the Professional (MCITP) exams for Vista will be delayed in order to ensure that we have adequate application support coverage for these certifications. We know that customers are very excited about our new Vista certifications and we are sincerely sorry for the delay. In the interest of maintaining the quality of Microsoft Certifications, however, we need to add additional content to exams 70-621, 70-622, and 70-623 in order to maintain appropriate alignment with the intended job roles. Exam 70-620 (“Big Vista”) will not be affected and customers may continue to register for the exam.

The betas for 70-621 and 70-622 will be re-run; the beta for 70-623 will be rescheduled. The new release dates are

• 70-621: May 15 (beta in late March)

• 70-622; May 16 (beta in mid-March)

• 70-623: May 17 (beta in late March)

What about the betas? Customers who took 71-621 and 71-622 and customers who had a confirmed seat for 71-623 will receive a direct invitation to the retake that beta. These customers have an exclusive 72 hour window to re-register; at that point we will open any remaining seats to a broader audience. In order to receive credit/a score for 71-621 and 71-622, customers must re-register and re-take the exams; scoring for the first betas will be thrown out. Beyond the 72 hour registration period, we can not guarantee a seat for customer re-takes. We are taking on these efforts to limit inconvenience to customers who registered for and/or took the first betas; we do appreciate the time and energy that goes in to testing. We regret the inconvenience but know our customers understand the beta process as part of the product development lifecycle and support our efforts to deliver quality exams and certifications.

1. gomce2002 says:

Hi Trika

Many thanks for keep us update regarding 71-623.

For the delay of score results of 71-621 and 71-622 (delay again like 71-620) I would consider is very BAD NEWS for those who have taken those 2 exams. I bet a lot of MCPs are eager waiting for the tests results, I wish Microsoft could speed up the whole process instead of delaying them like 71-620.

To be frank, waiting for beta exam results is a torture !!

2. Andy says:

Having to take another version of a beta exam will be inexcusable and create very bad press for MLS!

3. gomce2002 says:

I totally agree with you, Andy.

4. jkoziol10 says:

I think you are absolutely correct that people are very excited about the new Vista certifications.

If I took 622 on 12/17, any idea when we can expect to either get the result or hear about a potential retake offer?

Or when 623 would be available for beta?

Realize these decisions are probably being sorted out, but I think it would be important to set everyone’s expectations as soon as that information is available.

Thanks

Jim

5. trikah@microsoft.com says:

As you can imagine… I’m as excited to share any news as you guys are to get it. Hang tight.

6. gomcse2002 says:

Hello Trika

May we know do you have more news regarding the score reports for 71-621 and 71-622 because both exams are supposed to go live before the end of Feb 2007.

Also when can we register for 71-623 ?

Please kindly advise us here !!!

Have a nice weekend.

7. Hi. New dates, below. For the background and info on the related beta exams, read the update to my last

8. Phil says:

Any idea when these direct invitations will be sent out?

What about exam 624, Deploying & Maintaining Vista & Client Office System.

Will this exam be updated as well?

9. jkoziol10 says:

Thanks for the updates Trika!  While I can understand and appreciate delaying 623 if the content is in question, I find it hard to swallow that people will need to retake 621 and 622 – "in order to maintain appropriate alignment with the intended job roles" and "to ensure that we have adequate application support coverage"

Should that content not have been determined before the beta exams went live?

Realize it’s not your fault, so don’t take it personally, just venting/ranting and a little bummed out/disappointed as I feel this whole mess could have been avoided with a little better planning up front.

Looking forward to the email for the 622 retake invitation and the 623 beta when it is available.

Thanks

Jim

10. Boston says:

I too am disappointed with this outcome. I was glued to my VUE status and MCP transcript for the past 35 days waiting for the results of my test.

I do a quick search to see if anyone had heard of anything and I come across this info….

Sucks, I was so pumped and now I will have to cancel my 70-291 test so I can think clearly on Vista technologies again before I re-take the exam… Who’s to say we wont have to re-take this for a 3rd time…. Very disappointing and un-professional, we should get something for being the lab-rats and having to take time off work for it. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that I will not have to give up more time to re-take this test.

Keep up the good work MS, but dont abuse "us" as Beta testers, otherwise we’ll all soon loose interest in helping you out with the beta’s.

-Boston

11. peter says:

What ‘s a MESS and make everythinf one unhappy. I don’t think it is a WIN-WIN Situation for the Beta testers of 71-621 & 71-622 and MSL. Not too sure whether this is the 1st time MLS to ask beta testers to re-take the revised version of the beta test (take the test 2nd time) but the decision from MLS management is not prudent and professional at all. I understand we beta tester don’t get paid but do those beta exams voluntarily. But if MLS treat us like lab-rats and we have to take time off from regular work for it. This actually mess up a lot of our studying plan for other MCP exams planning.

12. Joe says:

Just wondering if there is another beta period for the above exam.

13. Alex says:

Peter’s right.

I was studying for another MS exam and now i hear that i did the 621 for nothing. What a waste of time and effort.

I guess a lot of beta testers won’t even consider to re-take this exam (or maybe others) at all.

14. Andy says:

It’s not that I/we have to retake the beta but that we took it so we wouldn’t have to wait for and take the another exam (the final version). So we all failed no matter how you look at it (by no fault of our own)!

15. pontfirebird73 says:

I most certainly won’t be taking another beta. Atleast win I pay for a "live" test I get results whether pass or fail.

16. Daniel says:

This is absolutely shocking! I diverted my attention away from my MCSE exam preparations for 3 weeks to concentrate on the 71-621 exam and what a waste of this this turned out to be. I’ve heard nothing from Microsoft to tell me that I will have to retake the BETA which is a disgrace! I only found out by searching on Google and coming across this forum. I understand that they want to get the exams correct and why they would want to re-run the BETA’s but I’m extremely disappointed that they haven’t bothered to communicate this to the original BETA testers. This is very poor PR for Microsoft! I will certainly think twice about sitting MS BETA’s in future!

17. Yves Favre says:

If I didn’t canceled my 71-621 at the last minute, I would also be upset against Microsoft. But don’t forget that you may have failed. Maybe this is now your second chance to pass!

18. trikah@microsoft.com says:

Just making sure everyone on this post got the update: http://blogs.msdn.com/trika/archive/2007/03/03/an-update-for-those-of-you-who-took-beta-exam-71-621-and-or-71-622.aspx

PS Daniel how is it coming with your SE?