Have you been wanting to use Skype Translator, but don't have Windows 8.1 on your PC? The new Skype for Windows desktop app includes Skype Translator, and is compatible with Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. Powered by Microsoft Translator, Skype for Windows desktop lets you make translated calls in Chinese Mandarin, French, English, German, Italian, and Spanish. You can also IM in 50 languages. Only the caller needs to use the new Skype for desktop app to make a translated call — the receiver can use almost any other Skype app such as Skype for iPhone or Android.
Since its initial release in December 2014, the Skype Translator preview has connected hundreds of thousands of people across geographies and languages. We have seen some incredibly inspirational stories from our preview program participants about how they've used Skype Translator. We are excited to make this technology available to an even broader range of users. Some of our favorite stories include:
- A student who planned her yearlong study abroad trip to China only through Translator
- A multicultural newly-engaged couple who kept in touch with each other's families via weekly video chats
- An owner of a small business who communicated with his best suppliers through IM
- A Ph.D. student who enhanced his thesis research with the help of experts in other countries
- An Australian world traveler who found his way across continents by translating key phrases
- A non-profit worker who used Skype Translator to unite donors and those in need
Since Translator's machine-learning technology gets smarter the more it's used, we are looking forward to introducing the feature to more devices and a wider range of people.
The update is being introduced to the Skype for Windows desktop app over the next few weeks. When you see these new Skype Translator icons in your updated app, Skype Translator is ready to use! If you don't already have Skype, you can download it here.
Learn more about the new Skype for Windows desktop app on the official Skype blog.
Apps powered by Microsoft Translator: