Translation powered by….Microsoft Translator!

image

Our team is celebrating a major milestone today – last week we successfully transitioned all of our translation services to technology developed right here in Microsoft Research!

As some of you may have noticed, up until last week, some of our languages were still supported by a third party technology for general domain requests.  Here’s the summary of what this release means:

• Translation now fully powered by the Microsoft Translator technology is available through Live Search, as well as IE8, the Windows Live Toolbar, and Windows Live Messenger.
  • All translation pairs on the site (11 English-X, 12 X-English) are powered by Microsoft Research-developed systems.
  • Two transliteration pairs (chs<->cht), courtesy of the Windows International team.
  • For several languages, better language quality.
  • And finally, the release of TBot, a translation bot for Windows Live Messenger.

This release is the combination of all the effort that the team has put into machine translation, not only over the past months, but literally over the past years.  We are eager to hear back from our users – try out the system today and let us know what you think!

1. vasudev says:

That’s Superb, Congrats !! Prepare a nice logo and Badge for "Powered By Microsoft Translator"

2. Christer says:

Super cool!!!!

I want Swedish.

3. Are there any plans to offer an API?

4. Mes collègues de Microsoft Research l’annonçaient il y a quelques jours : toutes les paires de langues

5. Michael, we are definitely looking into ways of providing programmatic access and collecting feedback and suggestions about the needs of developers and partners. If you have specific ideas about what you would like to see in an API feel free to email me with your thoughts. You can use blogmt  (at) microsoft (dot) com to reach me.

Enjoy Microsoft Translator!

Vikram Dendi

Sr Product Manager, Microsoft Translator Team

6. aquestion says:

Please update your FAQ. What is the status of translated output? If a webmaster owns the copyright to articles on his website, and uses you to automatically translate does he own the copyright to translated output? Assume he would, else would cause problems.

7. urinae says:

my gmail is acctualy I think in polish

how can I reversed it in english

8. urinae says:

my gmail is acctualy I think in polish

how can I reversed it in english

9. urinae says:

my gmail is acctualy I think in polish

how can I reversed it into english

10. Chris Wendt says:

Translation does not change the copyright of the article being translated. Microsoft Translator provides a view of the original article. A human translator also does not automatically acquire copyright of an original work of art simply by translating it. The copyright notice on our pages is for the software and service provided, not for the content being viewed.

11. PrashantJ says:

Is the web based translation service available as a web service????

12. PrashantJ,

Our web service is available online at microsofttranslator.com

Cheers,

Lane

Microsoft Translator team

13. arun says:

hi all,

its great that MS has developed language translation services…….im developing an application based on language translation (for academic purposes)…can anyone please tell me where can i get microsoft’s web service so that i can send xml requests from my application and get back results?……i saw the previous comment where an url was mentioned but i was not able to find any web service at that location……..plz correct if im wrong….

cheers,

arun

14. Thank you for your interest in using our service within your scenario. Please send an email to our partner request alias (mtcont@microsoft.com) with your requirements.

Cheers,

Lane

MSR-MT Team

15. I know your joy – that of using your own technology and no more third party technology.

16. computerproducts says:

At some point many corporations have tools that are supported by third party technologies. Good you’ve arrived!

17. Dennis says:

i want translate english into malayalam,how?

18. M Farooq says:

Any tool for translator for Indic Languages that cam be used in win forms

19. Hi Farooq,

you can use Translator from any Windows application. Simply add api.microsofttranslator.com/…/soap.svc as a service reference in Visual Studio, and explore its methods. Start with the simple Translate() method.

Let us know how it goes.

Chris Wendt

Microsoft Translator

20. aku says:

where is sunda-indonesia

21. summer 329 says:

Will you have the translator for mobil on facebook?