So, I finally decided to get a new cell phone as my old one was beginning to show its age, so it was time to go shopping for a new one.
My requirements for a new phone were pretty precise
- Needed to support Exchange Active Sync
- Should run either Pocket PC or Smartphone OS
- Bluetooth support
- Faster than GPRS data support
That narrows down the choices significantly on the phone side, so the deciding factor becomes the provider.
I also had some specific requirements for the cellular provider
- Multi-line support
- Unlimited data
- Nationwide coverage
- free inter-network calling
After several hours of comparing available services and phones I finally selected the Samsung SCH-i730 for myself(I may talk about the phone I selected for my wife in another post) After a hour or so on the phone (ugh) I switched providers (yay for cellular number portability) and the phones were shipped to me.
Now, after about a week of having the phone my impressions of it are mostly positive.
- The 3rd party software is fairly impressive (the Picsel Browser, the remote control software, the Mits selection software)
- Windows Mobile Pocket PC software!
- Fast processor
- Lots of memory
- Built in storage
- Keyboard is good for typing email
- W-ifi support
- Battery life, don’t leave bluetooth on
- Hard to type numbers on keyboard
- Not Windows Mobile 2005
- QVGA screen instead of the new VGA ones
- Docking station is difficult to use
Overall, I love the phone and for a multipurpose device, it can’t be beat. It also gets lots of looks at work which doesn’t hurt;)