Updated Media Center "Time Travel" article for Windows Vista

Several months ago I updated my “Time Travel with Windows Media Center” article to be based on Windows Vista rather than on Windows XP.  It’s now online!  If you’re interested in writing background add-ins for Media Center, check it out at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb643809.aspx.

Thanks to Charlie Owen for his help in getting it posted.

-Stephen

1. Stephen Toub wrote a great article on MSDN called "Time Travel" with Windows Media Center and

2. galimatias says:

Hi,

A very interesting and informative article.

Could not locate the link to download the application though.

3. Hmmm, thanks for letting me know.  I’ve emailed the folks responsible to ask where the download is and that it be linked from the article.

4. In the meantime, until it’s up on MSDN, you can download it from http://toub.members.winisp.net/Code/PositionChangerAddIn_Vista.zip.

5. Stephen Toub recently posted this item on his blog and I wanted to link to it to make sure that Media

6. Stephen,

I read with regret that you are leaving the Magazine to "go back to your roots". Your contributions are greatly appreciated and will be missed. Best of luck!

Peter

7. Thanks, Peter!  I very much appreciate that.  I hope to still write for the magazine every now and then as time allows, so hopefully I won’t be gone for good 😉

8. Sam says:

Hi Stephen

This looks just like what I was after for Vista MC … however I am no programmer and can’t see an actual installer available for download. If you have one could you point me to it otherwise I guess I will have to get my head around installing the files that are available for download as a zip.

Thanks

9. Sam says:

I have found my answer … here for anyone with similar issues http://unmitigatedrisk.com/archive/2007/03/17/38.aspx

no msi file needed … just the contents of the "debug" folder from the .zip available here and the instructions on that link

Thanks for a great plugin Stephen!!

10. Mark says:

Stephen, I had installed this and the found an alternative. I now can’t remove the addin through add/remove programs in Vista.

I see;

Log Name:      Application

Source:        MsiInstaller

Date:          13/09/2007 20:40:13

Event ID:      11001

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          HTPCMark

Computer:      HTPC

Description:

The description for Event ID 11001 from source MsiInstaller cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Product: Position Changer Add-In — Error 1001.

(NULL)

(NULL)

(NULL)

(NULL)

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Event Xml:

<Data>(NULL)</Data>

<Data>(NULL)</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Data>

</Data>

<Binary>7B38313044343345352D374246442D343042302D384138422D4436393439424633374242447D</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

Log Name:      Application

Source:        MsiInstaller

Date:          13/09/2007 20:40:13

Event ID:      11725

Task Category: None

Level:         Information

Keywords:      Classic

User:          HTPCMark

Computer:      HTPC

Description:

Product: Position Changer Add-In — Removal failed.

Event Xml:

</EventData>

</Event>

From the MSI log

MSI (s) (E8:F0) [19:42:57:905]: Note: 1: 1725

MSI (s) (E8:F0) [19:42:57:922]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (E8:F0) [19:42:57:938]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Error 3: -2147287038

MSI (s) (E8:F0) [19:42:57:955]: Product: Position Changer Add-In — Removal failed.

MSI (s) (E8:F0) [19:42:58:099]: Windows Installer removed the product. Product Name: Position Changer Add-In. Product Version: 2.0. Product Language: 1033. Removal success or error status: 1603.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

11. Roger says:

Hi Stephen,

I have modified the time travel so that i can launch other plugins whilst watching LiveTV without having to go through the start menu. Is it possible to use the same principle to detect a double click from a mousetouchscreen to launch a predefined app?

Thanks

Roger

roger.wicks@8bits.be

12. chan says:

i am unable to find the download link on the article.

please help