Enterprise Library: The Videos

For quite some time, Don has been been putting together short video tutorials on the Web Service Software Factory (including a brand new one giving a preview of the upcoming v3 release). Up until now I’ve never tried this, but Don has been getting pretty good feedback on his videos, and I’ve seen more than a few requests for something similar for Enterprise Library.

So I thought I would boldly go down the video tutorial path too, or at least dip my toes in the water. I’ve added a new Videos page to the Enterprise Library Community site, containing two initial videos demonstrating how to create new providers (for the Validation Application Block in this example) and one on creating new application blocks using the Application Block Software Factory:

Since I’ve never done these before, I’m sure there is room for improvement – so please let me know if you have any suggestions, whether you want any more videos like this, and which topics you’d like to see covered in the future. Or alternatively, if you think you may be able to do better, we’d be more than happy to add links to your own video tutorials.

Update (April 12th) – added link to 3rd tutorial on the ABSF

1. kevindan says:

Superb!

EntLib 3.0 in Action. Please do more to show the workflow in IDE.

2. Great stuff! I do hope you can do a more thorough set of videos similar to the ones on http://www.asp.net in the Learning section. The WCF Software Factories also deserve a lot more attention.

3. Pavan says:

Hi,

Your video was great…

But I am not able to see any Guidance Specific project in my File–>New project nor the help realted that was showcased in the video.

Do i need to install anything for that ?

4. Hi Pavan –

You need to install the Guidance Automation Extensions (GAX) from http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/teamsystem/aa718949.aspx before you can install the factories and guidance packages. EntLib will install without GAX, but I think you should be able to rerun the installer after you install GAX and add the guidance packages afterwards.

Tom

5. Al says:

Great stuff. Video blogging is MUCH MUCH more instructive and helpful for us. Words can tell so much but a video is be more valuable.

Keep up the great work Tom.

-Al

6. The videos were very helpful Tom.

I’ll brave a few constructive criticisms if you don’t mind. The third video (and the one I was most interested in) seemed to have sound and picture quality issues – I ended up downloading the .wmv file and playing it locally but was having trouble pausing (WMP11 on Vista). The player would skip ahead a couple of frames even after the pause button was clicked. The screens in the demo were not always refreshing clearly either. Not sure if I was given a low bitrate version when I ‘right-clicked and saved as…’ but it was a bit rough at this end. Also I guess this is really minor – but your microphone position must have been different in the third video as there was significantly more rustling and microphone noise.

As for content I think you covered the topic well although perhaps a little more detail about the roles played by the various data and factory classes might have been nice – some of the inner workings. No doubt there’s a risk of attention-span overrun, but I would have been happy with a slower pace and more content. This is minor too – but I wished you’d included some common properties in the base class of your application block provider demo as well. Lastly, and although it’s probably not your intention to be teaching people about dependency injection at the same time (and not a topic I’m claiming to be an expert on) – the importance of constructor overloads that make providers easy to test might also have been worth mentioning (specifically when you changed the constructor from receiving objectConfiguration to discrete arguments).

The videos made a big difference though and I couldn’t have created my own custom application block without them. Not sure what the link etiquette is for your bog – but I wrote an overview of my experience with the Application Block Software Factory at http://www.58bits.com/blog – and included a Foo.Zip file with a sample project that I’ve created. My needs were similar to other EntLib libraries where I had a couple of dependant providers that would each be configured by a chosen provider in a chain (one provider naming its next provider in another list of provider types – just like logging categories and listeners).

A big thanks to you and the team for all the great stuff coming out of p&p.

7. Thanks for the feedback Anthony – any constructive criticism is extremely welcome 🙂

A couple of quick responses: Since the third video was a bit longer than the others, I needed to encode at a lower quality from the first two to keep the file size acceptable. It looks like I may have lowered it a little too much though – I can try to improve this in the future. Also I couldn’t borrow the good microphone I used in the first two videos, so the audio wasn’t so good on this last one.

Also I know it can be hard to follow all of the code on the video (particularly when some of it was cut off by my window size), so I made the sample code available online at http://www.codeplex.com/entlib/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Videos&referringTitle=Home

Thanks again!

Tom

8. Mustafa says:

Hi Tom,

Videos were good but (and I don’t know if this applies to this discussion), can you direct me on where to get examples of patterns & practices on using the new version of the enterprise library 3.0 but without the GAX?

Thanks

9. Thanks Mustafa. You only need GAX to use (and install) the Application Block Software Factory and the Strong Naming Guidance Package. Everything else works without GAX.

10. Mustafa says:

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply.  But I may have phrased my question incorrectly.  We are building an application using ASP.NET 2.0 and want to use the Enterprise Library 3.0.  We want to find the various ways of designing the various layers (presentation, service, domain, data) etc. using the library via patterns & best practices.  Most of the information available on the internet is either too general, describes the inner workings of the blocks or refers to previous versions of .NET Framework and enterprise library.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

11. Better late than never… I have combined the last 3 weeks. In the pipeline: So much is in the pipeline

12. SUBU says:

Hi any one help me  to configure Loggging Application with Oracle.. To Sql Server it is working fine…

13. SUBU says:

14. ysm79 says:

I am learning to use the enterprise library 3.0 by following Tom Hollander’s vedio example. Then i added the source code valiation and common projects as the references instead of the Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common and Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Validation 3.1.0.0 dlls, to step through the code. The solution compiled successfully, however, when I run the client. I got a ConfigurationErrorsException in the ValidatedTypeReference method of the ConfigurationValidatorBuilder.cs class.

Doesn’t anybody know how to fix this issue? I want to debug and step through the enterprise library classes to understand how it works.

Thanks

15. I would like to start with my full respect to anyone who has been working on developing Custom Application

Comments are closed.