Just Released: GAT and GAX, February 2007 CTP

After a false start a couple of weeks ago (when it was still February), we’re pleased to announce that we’ve finally released the February 2007 CTP of the Guidance Automation Toolkit and the Guidance Automation Extensions. These technologies are increasingly important to patterns & practices, and to many of you, since they form the foundation runtime and authoring platform for our software factories. You can download the new releases of GAT and GAX from here. But first, here’s what you need to know.

What’s New in this Release?

The February 2007 CTP is a minor maintenance release over the previous June 2006 CTP – internally we are calling this our 1.2 release. While it does not contain any brand new features, we have fixed quite a number of bugs that many of you wil have experienced. The full list of fixes is included in the release notes, and copied here for your convenience, but the key fixes are:

• Support for Windows Vista
  • Guidance Navigator performance and display improvements
  • Handling of read-only .gpstate files
  • Use of standard system colors in wizards and dialogs
  • Fixes to registration recipes

Do I need to upgrade?

If you’re happily using the June 2006 CTP without any major issues, there is no need to upgrade immediately since there are no critical fixes in the new release. However all of the small fixes do add up to a considerably better experience, so upgrading is definitely recommended. If you are using Windows Vista, you should definitely get the new release since there are a number of known issues with the previous release under Vista.

How do I upgrade?

Now for some bad news – if you already have an older release of GAX and want to upgrade to the new version, you’ll need to uninstall or unregister all of your existing guidance packages (including GAT), and then uninstall the old GAX, before it will be possible to install the new GAX and reinstall the guidance packages. Believe me, we know that this sucks – but unfortunately it’s something we’re going to have to live with for now. Normally it should be possible to uninstall all of your guidance packages cleanly, but if you run into any problems (like losing the source code for a package you registered using GAT), a while ago we wrote up some tips to manually clean up rogue packages.

Will existing guidance packages and software factories still work with this release?

Yes, with a but. Let me explain. We did a lot of work to make sure that guidance packages built against the June 2006 CTP of GAX will continue to work unchanged with the February 2007 release. This is the case for guidance packages shipped in p&p’s software factories, as well as any guidance packages you build yourself.

However, while our software factories do run with the new GAX, a couple of our original MSIs did not believe this, and they will refuse to install unless the June 2006 CTP (exactly) is installed. Here’s the state of each of our factories and what we’ve done to support the new release of GAX and GAT:

• Smart Client Software Factory

• June 2006: Original MSI will work with the June 2006 and February 2007 CTP of GAT/GAX

• Web Client Software Factory

• January 2007: Original MSI will work with the June 2006 and February 2007 CTP of GAT/GAX

• Web Service Software Factory

• July 2006 (C#): No longer available to download. Original MSI will install only with the June 2006 CTP of GAT/GAX. You should upgrade to the December 2006 (refresh) release.
    • July 2006 (VB): Original MSI will install only with the June 2006 CTP of GAT/GAX. A refreshed MSI (same factory, new installer, labeled July 2006 (Refresh)) can be downloaded from here.
    • December 2006 (C#): Original MSI will install only with the June 2006 CTP of GAT/GAX. A refreshed MSI (same factory, new installer, labeled December 2006 (Refresh)) can be downloaded from here.

• Mobile Client Software Factory

• July 2006: Original MSI will install only with the June 2006 CTP of GAT/GAX. A refreshed MSI (same factory, new installer, labeled July 2006 (Refresh)) can be downloaded from here.

One more thing to note: while guidance packages built against the June 2006 CTP will continue to work with the February 2007 CTP, the reverse is not true. All current patterns & practices software factories support the June 2006 CTP, however in the future we may drop support for this release and require the February 2007 CTP.

Why is this still branded a CTP? What’s next for GAT and GAX?

Like the previous releases, this new release is still labeled a Community Technology Preview. This is because the deliverables are still unsupported, and we can’t promise to maintain compatibility as we continue to evolve the technologies. Keep in mind that both GAX and GAT are only designed to run on development machines, not production servers, so even if something does blow up, it’s not going to blow up your production systems. That said, we’ve gone through the same quality gates with GAT and GAX as we do with any other p&p release, and we are confident we have a high quality release. Since all of our factories will depend on this technology, we need to be!

We really are very excited by the potential of this technology and of Software Factories, and we are continuing to work on enhancing the infrastructure, authoring environment and the factories themselves. While we don’t yet have a solid product plan that we can commit to, we are working to significantly enhance these deliverables and integrate them much more deeply into Visual Studio and Team System. The goal is that eventually the capabilities you see in GAX and GAT (and in the DSL Tools) will be absorbed into future releases Visual Studio.

1. vikasgoyal77 says:

Dear Tom .. thanks for the release and details .. will be quite helpful.

The link ‘Introduction to the Guidance Automation Toolkit’ on http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/teamsystem/aa718949.aspx doesn’t seem to work. can you pls get it checked.

vikas goyal

2. You read that right, we just release the February version of GAT & GAX in March. As Tom Hollander

3. RSS It All says:

4. Jelle Druyts says:

Great news! Unfortunately it seems that I cannot uninstall the Guidance Automation Extensions (June 2006 CTP): while uninstalling, an empty message box with a "sleep" screen icon shows up and then it rolls back… GAT uninstalled fine, but it seems I’m stuck with GAX?!

5. Jelle Druyts says:

It seems I panicked too soon 🙂 Turns out I had some rogue guidance packages left in the registry that weren’t fully uninstalled. After getting rid of those, everything went fine.

Great job on this new release!

6. Guidance Automation ExtensionsとGuidance Automation Toolkitの2007/02版がリリースされました。今回のバージョンからWindows Vistaもサポートされます。【Just Released: GAT and GAX, February 2007 CTP】http://blogs.msdn.com/tomholl/archive/2007

7. Tadej Mali says:

Where can I get some installation help? I already posted to VS GAT Forum, but nobody there has any idea how to help me install this thing…

8. TerryLee says:

9. cnblogs.com says:

微软昨天发布了 Guidance Automation Extensions 和 Guidance Automation Toolkit 2007 2 月份 CTP 版本,相对于上个 CTP 版本,并没有增加一些新的功能,主要是解决了一些

10. TerryLee says:

微软昨天发布了Guidance Automation Extensions 和Guidance Automation Toolkit 2007 2月份 CTP版本,相对于上个CTP版本,并没有增加一些新的功能,主要是解决了一些Bug,如: l Support for Windows Vista l Guidance Navigator performance and display improvements l Handling of read-only…

11. stephen patten says:

Tom,

I’m very dissatisfied with the product on Vista, WCSF and WSSF refuse to work, even after taking the precautions you’ve out lined.

I’ve also emailed Blaine with a very detailed troubleshooting session but have not heard back nor do I think I will.

Stephen

LendingTree

12. Luke Duff says:

I’m getting the same problem Jelle Druyts is getting, uninstalling the old GAX gets me a text-free dialog box with an ok button and then it rolls back the uninstall.

What registry entries should I clear?

13. Luke Duff says:

I had to uninstall Enterprise Library 3.0 Jan to get the old GAX to uninstall.

14. Stephen – sorry about that. I’ll work with Blaine to see how we can help you out.

Luke: Yes Enterprise Library 3.0 ships with guidance packages, so you need to uninstall those before upgrading is possible.

If you want to check which guidance packages you still have installed, you can look at the file

C:ProgramDataMicrosoftRecipe FrameworkRecipeFramework.xml (in Vista) or C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftRecipe FrameworkRecipeFramework.xml (in XP and other versions)

Tom

15. stephen patten says:

Tom,

Thank you.

I don’t have any issues uninstalling the packages and as a precaution followed your manual steps to the T, then did a single install of just WSSF which failed once I opened VSTS.

Stephen

16. Avi says:

This sounds like too much trouble.

Will the installation problems continue with next releases, or do you plan to clean this up?

With VS, SQL, VSTS and .Net and now also GAX, GAT, and the ASP.Net/WFC factories, this is beginning to look like DLL hell all over again …

17. Avi says:

And, of course, I forgot Ent Lib 3.0 … 🙂

18. Luis Gonzalez says:

I just install GAX and GAT from feb 2997 and attempted to install the mobile software factory (refresh)  on a window 2003 enterprise 64 bit box and I continue to get the message

"Thbe isntaller requires teh Guidance Automation Toolkig, June 2006 CTP or lager, which is not present onthe computer, Please install and try again"

But it isinstalled I can seen in the control panel Add remove programs and int he meny for GAX and GAT

Any ideas, I have already unisntall everything previous from patterns and practices and still get the smae message no matter what I do.

If there is somenthign in the registry that un-installation is not cleaning, could somebody please tellme what key to remove, etc.?

Thanks for your help

Cordially,

Luis

19. Luis says:

I appologize for the huge amount of spelling erros in my previous post, it is pretty late and the frustration is way beyond limits, and once you press the submit button everything goes, which Id did without thinking too much.

I believe the message is clear after all, I mean if you fill in (replace) the blanks (erorrs), any replies to the issue will be appreciated.

Cordially,

Luis

20. Luis says:

Okay here is the message refreshed and at least spelled checked this time:

Hello Tom

I just installed GAX and GAT from February 2007 release and attempted to install the mobile software factory (refresh) one more time  (Yes I am installing the "refresh" version the one that is supposed to work with GAX and GAT from 2007 but it is not working in my box). I am installing it on a Windows 2003 64 bit Enterprise server and I continue to get the message:

"The installer requires the Guidance Automation Toolkit, June 2006 CTP or later, which is not present on the computer, Please install it and try again"

But the GAX and GAT from February 2007 is installed in my box  I can see it in the control panel Add remove programs window, and also in the windows start programs menu for Patterns and Practices GAX and GAT

Any ideas? I have already un-installed everything previous from patterns and practices versions, which I believe it should not be required, and still get the same message no matter what I do.

If there is something in the registry that un-installation is not cleaning, could somebody please tell me what key to remove, etc.?

Thanks for your help

Cordially,

Luis

21. Sorry to hear you’re having problems Luis. Would you be able to e-mail me and provide your contact details so we can investigate this for you?

thanks

Tom

22. Erics Blog says:

I blogged that I’m impressed by the Web Service Software Factory (WSSF) from patterns & practices

23. sanguedemonstro says:

about the WCSF, wow man, its hard to install..

1st

"..a couple of our original MSIs did not believe this, and they will refuse to install unless the June 2006 CTP (exactly) is installed…"

well, i think that’s true.. but i already look at every site, every cd/dvd from microsoft, and i could not foud the GAT.msi from june 2006, its does not exist any more…(ok, maybe i’m blind..)

2nd

"Web Client Software Factory

January 2007: Original MSI will work with the June 2006 and February 2007 CTP of GAT/GAX"

it’s not working for me, i have downloaded the requisites indicated at http://www.codeplex.com/websf/wiki/view.aspx?title=installing%20the%20web%20client%20software%20factory

i’m getting the error: Unable to get installer types in the c:program filesMicrosoft Visual Studio 8Common7idePublicAssembliesWebClientFactoryPackageInstaller.dll assembly.–>Unable to load one or more of the requested types.Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.

what’s wrong (with me)?

what can i do?

any help?!

danke!

// sorry about my bad english, i’m trying to get better.. 🙂

24. Grigori has just announced the release of the Guidance Automation Extensions and Guidance Automation

25. Grigori has just announced the release of the Guidance Automation Extensions and Guidance Automation

26. Grigori has just announced the release of the Guidance Automation Extensions and Guidance Automation

27. As you may know the version 2.0 of SCSF was shipped this weekend, so one of the main questions is how

Comments are closed.