Hands-on Labs for Enterprise Library for .NET Framework 2.0 now available!

The long-awaited hands-on labs for Enterprise Library for .NET Framework 2.0 are now available. The downloadable package contains 6 different labs, one for each block, and each is avalable in both C# and Visual Basic versions. The labs are self-paced, step-by-step tutorials which lead you through some of the key development tasks for each block. Whether you’ve just downloaded Enterprise Library for the first time and you’re not sure where to start, or if you’re experienced in some tasks but not sure what else the library has to offer, these labs are definitely worth a look.

And thanks to our friends at Readify for their work in putting these labs together.

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights.

1. 1.x To 2.0 Migration Tip: Office Web Components Cause

Compilation Error [Via: ]

1.x To 2.0 Migration…

2. One of best reusable and reliable stuff. Saves my time and can optimize the blocks as per my wish. Good Job Guys.

john patrick

3. I diwnloaded and installed the hands on labs but the code will not load.  Peices seem to be missing.

4. Phani says:

Hands on Lab 2.0 helped me a lot.

What is the best approach to track the LogEntry.ExtendedProperties to a new field in Log table in Logging Database instead of moving in FormattedMessage?

5. Phani – since each log entry may have several extended properties, the fully normalized solution would be to use an additional table that has a row for each property in each log entry. A simpler but less normalized approach would be to create a column that includes all of the properties in a delimited list. Either solution will require modifying both the schema and the Database TraceListener.

Tom

6. phani says:

Thanks Tom. I added a column to log table "ClassDump". I modified Formatted Database Listener method "ExecuteWriteLogSP(Logentry,db,tx)" to addnewparameter ClassDump , value set to extendedproperties.But looks like I need to modify couple more places Logentry,LogSource,Logger. Is that right?

7. Phani – No, you shouldn’t need to modify any of those classes. The ExtendedProperties are stored in the LogEntry and should be safely transported by Logger, LogWriter, LogSource etc all the way to the TraceListener.

Tom

8. phani says:

Tom, Do you suggest I should create my new CustomDBListener class and have the same methods as FormattedDatabaseListener. If yes, is it required that my CustomDBListener must inherit from CustomTraceListener?

9. phani says:

I created a customListener and Data class which works fine. Thanks Tom.

10. Mangal says:

Tom,

The Hands On Labs are very helpful to get a better idea of the various Application blocks.

It would be great if the Logging block Lab showed an example of configuring and using a Database Trace Listener, we’re trying to set it up and are having some problems.

Thanks!

11. SDG says:

Tom, Just downloaded EntLib Jan 2006 and was playing around with the Logging App Block – just curious about one LogEntry setting – Priority – not sure how it relates to the "switchvalue" for the specific CategorySource – if I setup the LogEntry object with a severityLevel of "Error" and I set the "switchvalue" of the CategorySource to TraceEventType.Critical, then the message would not get displayed – which is what I expect. How could I use the Priority to achieve the same effect (without using Severity). In other words, what the "Priority" do – the documentation does not describe it.

12. SDG – Property is just a number and it doesn’t impact the routing process or trigger the switches like Severity does. However you can filter messages based on their Priority setting using the PriorityFilter.

Tom

13. Babu Manoharan says:

Where is the EntLibQuickStarts catalog… do i need to run a sql script to create that one

Comments are closed.