I know a lot of you have been waiting a while for this, so I’m pleased to announce that the first Community Technology Preview (CTP) of Enterprise Library for .NET Framework 2.0 is now available to download from http://practices.gotdotnet.com/projects/entlib.
A few things to note (see the Readme included in the download for more details):
- Several key features are not implemented in this release, most notably the configuration tool, configuration design-time, instrumentation and Security Application Block
- This release has only undergone limited testing, and there are certain known issues. It has been made available for evaluation and feedback, and it should not be used in production applications
- This release has only been tested against Beta 2 of Visual Studio 2005. It will not work unchanged on later CTP releases of Visual Studio 2005. It is highly unlikely that this Enterprise Library CTP will work with the final releases of .NET Framework 2.0 or Visual Studio 2005.
- The functionality delta between EntLib January/June and the .NET Framework 2.0 version is not high, as the major focus of this release is alignment with .NET Framework 2.0. The functionality and public APIs of the blocks are largely unchanged, although the implementations have been significantly updated to leverage new platform capabilities
- Being a CTP release, everything is still subject to change. If something doesn’t work the way you want, please let us know. If you use a CTP release in prototype applications, be prepared for changes before the final release.
We are working on the missing features and other enhancements now. Most likely we will make these available in another preview before the final release, although we haven’t got final plans around this yet.
If any of you have any questions or feedback, please post them to the community site – we need your help to make this release as good as it can be!