Enterprise Library is finally here!

The time has finally arrived. The patterns & practices Enterprise Library has been released to MSDN – get it here. We hope you find it valuable for your .NET development projects. It’s been amazing being a part of the team that has worked so hard to put this together over the last 12 months or so. Thanks to everyone who made it happen, including Scott Densmore, Ed Jezierski, Bill Loeffler, Tim Osborn, Peter Provost, Brian Button, Mo Al Sabt, Rohit Sharma, Mani Krishnaswami, Carlos Farre, Kyle Huntley, Linh Nguyen, Tim Shakarian, Paul Currit, Hisham Baz, Rick Zimmerman, Prashant Bansode, RoAnn Corbisier, Paul Slater, Roberta Leibovitz and everyone else who has helped us get here.

One of the many things we have tried to improve in Enterprise Library is what we’re calling the “golden hour” experience. This is the about the experience that customers face in the first hour or so, from finding the deliverable on Microsoft.com, determining if they want to download it, download, installation and initial evaluation. There’s a whole lot of stuff in Enterprise Library and we do expect it to take a while for you to get a hold of it all – but in the meantime, please let me know how we did on the “golden hour”. What worked well? What didn’t work well? How does it compare with our earlier blocks? In which areas are you planning on diving into more detail?

Enjoy!

1. 'golden hour' says:

My experience was terrible. It took almost an hour to get the damn thing. What’s with the registration?

Found it > Wanted it > Tried to download it > Had to register > Registration failed > Tried again > Tried again > Had to try one more time > Finally downloaded it > Needed a rest.

Who’s cares what the software is like after that?

2. Roger says:

I’m very impressed right off the bat with the documentation this time around. And the pristine implementation of the pluggable provider model is worth it’s weight in gold by itself.

I also appreciate the sample "hello world" application block and in fact I may spend more time studying that than I will actually using the blocks themselves!

Very good work guys! I’m looking forward to seeing new blocks released using this model.

3. Sudhakar says:

Really good effort and worthy too, Thanks

4. Daniel Danilin says:

Why there is no dokumentation generated by compiler from source? I have changed this in VS, but why is it not by default?

This is already second Project from Microsoft without xml dokumentation files (first is Web Services Enhancements).

5. Paul says:

So Scott tells us to come here to your blog and encourage you to hurry up and release the tool you used to build the EntLib blocks. Thanks!

6. Tom says:

Daniel – we built the API reference docs from the XML comments. Most people will not need to regenerate the comments themselves, so this setting is off by default. If you want to modify the block and build your own documentation, you can turn on the option to build the comments.

7. Darron says:

What about the DataWarehouse String Resource Tool? Can we get that released… it looks extremely useful.

8. ShawnC says:

Any chance the string resource tool can be pushed out too?

9. Dariusz says:

Enterprise Library verfügbar

10. Tammy says:

What do I need to do to correct this error. Please help.

Error 1 Warning as Error: ‘System.Collections.IHashCodeProvider’ is obsolete: ‘Please use IKeyComparer instead.’ C:Program FilesMicrosoft Enterprise LibrarysrcCommonDataCollection.cs 32 34

11. Steve says:

Tammy, I’m guessing you’re building with .NET 2.0 there. The easiest way around this to start with is simply to turn off the ‘Warnings as errors’ option in the compiler – that will allow you to get further into the compilation before you hit any errors. Of course you’ll still get warnings, but for my part I’m happy to live with compiler warnings until the 2.0 enterprise library is released. BTW Tom, any news on when this might be? Yes, I know you’ve only just released the first version 😉 Will we have access to a beta of the 2.0 version before final release?

12. Tammy says:

Thanks Steve.

Now I am able to execute, but when I am trying to see the configuration settings from start-programs—– it shows empty ok cancel button, which means no text displayed. When I click on the first button assuming it is ok, it tries to bring up the configuration, but it says, the system could not find the file specified. Please let me know.

13. Tom says:

It’s important to understand that this version of Enterprise Library is designed and tested only against .NET 1.1. It is almost certainly possible to get it working on .NET 2.0 but it may require some code changes. We do plan on releasing a beta version of Enterprise Library for .NET 2.0 before Visual Studio 2005/.NET 2.0 is released.

Tammy – re your last question, the start menu shortcut loads a shim app called ToolLoader.exe that checks if everything is compiled before launching the tool. If you’re having problems using the shortcut, try launching EntLibConfig.exe directly from the bin directory.

14. Tammy says:

Thanks Tom. I understand EL is designed for .Net 1.1. Sorry to bug you with questions running on .Net 2.0

We are planning on using the Logging Application Block for our project. I am reviewing to see how it is going to help us and how we can use.

I could see ToolLoader.exe but I did not find EntLibConfig.exe.

15. Tom says:

That probably means EntLibConfig.exe didn’t compile successfully. I suggest you open up the full VS Solution and work from there, fixing any compile issues you run into.

16. Daniel Danilin says:

Tom – Well, it’s ok with EntLib because there is source. But with WSE I don’t have source code. I would perefer to have inline help for every class/method and several application examples as API Reference without inline help.

17. Tammy says:

I am using VS 2003 now. When I build EL, it did build with no errors or warnings. But when I tried to execute the logging block, the form loads with no text on it. What could be the reason?

18. James says:

FWIW, I installed the Enterprise library to an OS partition on the D drive. However, the documentation shortcut utilized "C:" in the link (hence was broken).

19. Mark Schultheiss says:

See my comments under your other thread for VNext.

Sort of a brownish "golden hour" for me.

Comments are closed.