Any ASP.NET Debugging requests?

With us starting to look forward to .NET 4.0, I started to think about the debugging story for ASP.NET and wondered if you had any requests for what you would like to see.

Some of the things that are on my mind are ideas like:

• Giving some kind of visual debugging experience to help people to troubleshoot ASP.NET problems more quickly.
  • Coming up with a better story for x64 dumps
  • Having some more automated commands to give information to users.

I am not saying that any of these will be coming, but they are all things that I am interested in seeing and will be investigating.

So what would you like to see for the future of the debugging experience?

1. GS says:

I vote for 1 and 2 (don’t care about automated tasks at this stage of learning experience)

2. What's New says:

3. Aidan says:

Hi – some little suggestions that would make life easier:

It would be good when you right-click a function in a class and choose "Find all References", that Visual Studio also searches the ObjectDataSources for references to that method (e.g. their SelectMethods).

It would also be good if the debugger verified the TypeName and SelectCommand (etc) specified in an ObjectDataSource at design time. At the moment, if you misspell the TypeName or SelectCommand, an error only appears at runtime.

4. Rick says:

I often find that Microsoft support has much better tools (1.1 and 2.0) than are available to the public…PSSCOR for example.  Most of the things that I’m good at debugging in .net 1.1 are made very difficult by differences (or lack of) commands in SOS for 2.0.  So, my suggestion is…

A. Open up all debugging tools to the public, new versions of SOS, PSSCOR, whatever else is available.  It would be awesome if these could be put out on codeplex 🙂

B. On the visual debugging note…Have you seen SOSAssist?  It seems pretty nice, I’ve only had time to play around with it for about 20mins, so I’m not sure if it’s really "useful", but if that’s something that you guys can improve on, and throw out on codeplex, that would probably useful.

5. Jeff says:

I’d just like to be able to fire up the debugger by right-clicking a page in VS without having to select a start up page then pushing F5. It’s even more tricky in the MVC framework.

6. Genetical says:

How about visualizers for Form, Session, ViewState, Cache, etc?

7. Rick,

With the debugger package, there is a clr10 directory which includes a sos.dll extension.  This works against .NET 1.0 and 1.1 and has a lot more functionality then the one that is in the .NET Framework directory.  Check it out and see what you think.

8. Corneliu says:

Hi Tom,

I’d love to see some tools that can debug performance issues like high CPU usage on production servers.

I’d love to be able to relate the execution of a page not only to the time it took to execute but to the CPU usage that it had. Some pages take time due to IO some due to CPU. I’d love to have the tools to understand the CPU usage patterns of each page/request.

9. Corneliu,

Good suggestion.  Thanks.  I’ll see what we can do.

10. simonjohnroberts says:

I think you have it in hand. good work so far.

11. Jody says:

When will commands such as !aspxpages and !dae become publicly available in the .NET 2.x and higher version of SOS?

12. I am hopeful to have an answer to that soon Jody.  Keep watching this blog for updates.

13. Facilitate remote debugging from Visual Studio in several scenarios:

-Customer without VPN

-From AD domain X to AD domain Y

-Streamline the installation process of remote debugging

Sorry for my poor english, I'm from Brazil.