Back-up success story: Windows Live OneCare

There are a few things you should do regularly to maintain your computer. Making security updates and running performance tools are two things, and backing up your files is another one. Windows Live OneCare, which I’ve been using for two months now, can be set up to automatically do all of these things. Last week OneCare got its first real test. On Monday, the hard disk on my computer crashed, essentially losing all the files I had saved on my computer. All the e-mail, pictures, financial documents, and spreadsheets I had saved were gone. It was my home computer, but I lost some documents from work that I had been working on from home.

For the first time I had a chance to test the back-up and restore capabilities of OneCare. I’m happy to say it passed. Except for the some changes I had made to a couple of files, I was up and running after I had repaired my computer.

With an external hard drive like the one I use, you can set up OneCare to do backups automatically with almost no intervention. (Backing up to CD or DVD isn’t automatic.) I have OneCare set up to make backups once a week.

Setting up OneCare to create a backup is pretty easy.

1. On the first screen you see when you open OneCare, on the right side of OneCare, under Backup and Restore, click Back up files.

2. OneCare will walk you through the setup process whether you’re going to save the files to a hard disk or removable storage, such as a CD or DVD.

And about the other important things (maintaining the performance and security of your computer)—OneCare can do computer tune-ups and scans to help keep spyware and viruses off your computer. Visit the OneCare site to learn more about it. I really do recommend it. For the moment, you can also try OneCare free for 90 days.

And in the meantime, don’t forget to back up your files. Here are some links that can help if you don’t have OneCare.

1. Backup basics: What should you back up?

2. How to back up manually or by using Windows XP Backup utility

3. How to choose an external storage format for backup files

—Jason Kozleski

1. irene.4 says:

I also have LiveOne Care my computer had semi crashed  One care was on for a week or so then wanted me pay for it or expires I wasn’t even sure where One Care came from.This collasoes or what ever has happen to many I believe there a court case going that a company is do this to many computers everyone I speak are having similar problems and all should be reapaired hopefully

disclaimer to these comments for ever without predgidious

2. irene.4 says:

disclaimer to these comments for ever without predgidious

3. Mardell says:

Last evening I used the trial scanner and I have purchased the WindowsOneLive Care.  I would like to know if the scanner will become a part of the program and if so when?

Also it takes forever and a day to run the tuneup that I purchased but the scanner did a much faster performance.

4. Mardell says:

When I run the WindowsLiveOneCare program under the section "remove unnecessary files from my computer" this function doesn’t work.

Please advise

5. JD says:

I’m going to try out OneCare using the trial offer. How long did it take to recover?

BTW I think you meant to say OneCare in several places but instead said "OneNote" maybe it is good ol’ spell checker helping out.

6. Humphrey Lindley says:

Why can’t I buy this product?

7. Stuart says:

An excellent programme

8. I tried the 90 day trial offer ,the program is one of the best on the market today,only one problem is that  Australians have to wait so long for it to come on the open market, i want this program and cannot buy it for love or money, believe me i’ve tried to.

9. Emeritus says:

I have a desktop XP computer in Florida and a newer one I am using in Michigan. I am going to Florida when it gets a bit colder in Michigan (tough life, but someone’s gotta do it!).
    I have Live One-Care in Michigan and am updating/backing up for the Michigan desktop on an external Seagate. I will take that Seagate to Florida, install OneCare on the Florida XP desktop computer, and then want to upload from the Seagate to that Florida desktop.
    What is the exact sequence of commands I must make to have the Seagate over-write the older files in Florida?
    Thanks!

10. Robert says:

I started using OneCare since it was in Beta testing. All I can say is that it work seamlessly with Windows. Not only that but if you need to uninstall it for whatever reason, it is a simple process, unlike Norton or McAfee. Those must be uninstalled while Windows is in Safe Mode or you will have problems getting it off your system. I’ve built several computers for clients as well as friends and I install the trial version of OneCare on their computers. It’s about time Microsoft got on the bandwagon and produced this software! It’s great!

11. Don Stevens says:

When will OneCare be able to back up work files onto a thumb drive?

12. les milner says:

i tried the "onecare" for 3 months after forfitting my subscription to another form of protection, then after 3 month i was left high and dry without any protection by microsoft, whos only explanation they gave was that it was not available in the uk. why didnt they point this out at the beggining?? it would have saved me money

the only comment they did not make was "tuogh luck pal"but they did gave that impression.

13. Georg says:

I have problems with Windows live OneCare

I have two identical DELL PC,

one can install WLOC, the other gives a message, that I use an other language and WLOC

is only for US english?

I have no Idea what to do.

14. I lost my outlook and had to restore but was not able to retrieve all the information in my personal file folders.  What did  I do wrong?

15. yea i try it when it was in beta did not do so good, now i trying to instill the newer version it will not instill at all, saying the deadline is over and trial is over some what to that line.

will i think its a dead software, i was really thinking of buying it this dec/2006 seen it in wal-mart for like USD-40.00. but if the demo of the real thing will not even work how do i know the real thing be anygood ether?

most Software MFG update their demo "system tool software" after a time, so user can go back and try it again like after 30days.

seem like a sweet programs like the backup part of it, but hate the Antivirus part of it lowend key seem more like. i got so many virus got by it was not funny. catch like 2 virus and let over 300 other virus get by it. thank god for Avast! it clean everything up right.

16. Mark says:

I have serious problems with the backup utility in OneCare.  New Toshiba laptop with a DVD_R.  Can write files to the DVD.  Can load and watch movies.  Can’t use the backup utility as it constantly reports that the disk is not correct.  Ugghhhh.