Silverlight 2 GDR1 Now Available…

Not a huge release this one, but we’ve just shipped an update for Silverlight 2 that fixes a number of minor bugs that have been reported over the last couple of months.

Get it while it’s hot, here:

Note that the developer tools page may have an old date/timestamp on it still, but the binary is the new updated version. You have the GDR1 if your Silverlight version is 2.0.40115.0 (the original Silverlight 2 version was 2.0.31005.0).

Here is a list of the main changes in the GDR (build 2.0.40115.0):

• Fixes problems that were caused by Silverlight and McAfee scanning tools interactions

• UI automation stability fixes, including:

• graceful failures when attempting to use features that require .NET Framework 3.0 or 3.5 on machines that do not have either framework installed

• improved Tablet support

• Fixes an issue that arises when Mac users customize their environment by removing Arial and Verdana fonts

• Fixes a known issue with Isolated Storage IncreaseQuotaTo method (see this post for more information)

It’s also worth highlighting Tim Heuer’s blog entry on the topic, which adds some good information about how to force users visiting your site to upgrade to the latest build if you’re relying on one of the above fixes for your application.

1. Non, il ne s’agit pas d’une nouvelle version mais simplement d’une sorte de Service Pack, qui corrige

2. Upgrading the developer version of Silverlight 2 RTW to GDR 1 will fail. Clicking the link "More information" on the setup screen after the failure will take you to a webpage that points you to the correct version.

Or go there directly before trying to install if you know you have the Silverlight developer tools installed:

3. skipratt says:

Not sure what the big deal is with this silverlight, saying that, I am still getting to grips with vista!

4. Simon says:

Hi Tim, is there a place to download the developper runtime version (the installer says my dev-tools are out of date and cancel installation)

5. Shina Oyetosho says:

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the great work on the Client Platform. Are there any related Developer bits associated with this release? I tried updating my machine with this release and it failed with the error: "Unable to Install. Your Developer Components are out-of-date".

Thanks.

6. Beat says:

Hi. If I try to install it, I always get the message: Your Silverlight developer components are out of date. But I have the latest one installed: Version 9.0.30729.146. What I’m doing wrong. Thanks in advance,

Beat

7. Ha salido una actualización de Silverlight que es la versión Silverlight 2 GDR 1 (2.0.40115.0). Pueden

8. prof. memals says:

and those bugs that were fixed are ?

I would like to know if any of my applications that were abandoned are now viable.

9. Tim,

any release notes? Specifically what bugs are fixed?

Regards. Nathan

10. Jeff Weber says:

When/How should we use this version?

Should I be re-deploying my existing apps? Do I need to update the version number in my .aspx pages?

Put another way, what is the impact of this release on my existing applications.

11. Bryan says:

Where is the change log?  I’d like to read what has been fixed.  Thanks!

12. Today (as announced by Tim Sneath ) the Silverlight team released an update for the plug in which is

13. timheuer says:

DEVELOPERS:  I’ve seen a few comments here (and elsewhere) about where to get the developer bits.  I posted the links and instructions here: http://timheuer.com/blog/archive/2009/02/19/silverlight-2-gets-minor-update-gdr1.aspx with direct links to the developer runtimes for Windows and Mac.

Additionally the developer links are on http://silverlight.net and http://microsoft.com/silverlight/resources/tools.aspx.  I’m going to be changing *where* they are listed on sl.net as right now they are under the Additional Resources.

14. In this issue: Ed Silverton, Tim Sneath, Shawn Wildermuth, Koen Zwikstra, Tim Heuer, Ken Cox, Robby Ingebretsen

15. Tim Sneath  Silverlight 2 GDR1 Now Available Silverlight 2가 몇가지 이슈들을 살짝 고친 GDR1 버젼으로 업데이트 되었습니다.

16. [Info]Silverlight 2 GDR1 release…

17. A new update has been published recently for the Silverlight 2.0. Read more here: Silverlight 2 GDR1

18. A new update has been published recently for the Silverlight 2.0. Read more here: Silverlight 2 GDR1

19. Randy says:

I’m tired of wrestling with Silverlight. This post looks even more confusing than what I’ve had to deal with in the past. I like the error message I’ve had to wrestlted with before "Your Silverlight developer components are out of date. But I have the latest one installed: Version 9.0.30729.146." I don’t want to go through that again! I think the programmers in India have taken over Microsoft. The quality is poor. I switched to Adobe Flex 3 and ActionScript and got some good quality fast results and user friendly programming environment. Well it’s more mature and dependable. I get to spend time programming and not spending time trying to get the blankety blank Silverlight thing to run.

20. What!? Silverlight has client .NET dependencies for some features?  I though that’s what downloading the runtime was for.

21. tims says:

Micah, apologies – we could probably be clearer here on what this means. Essentially, this was a bug that could be triggered in certain situations where you were using the accessibility tools (e.g. magnifier) on Silverlight content on a machine without .NET Framework installed. In short, the bug was an accidental dependency that has now been removed.

Randy, I’m not sure if you’re attempting to make a not-so-subtle comment about your racial prejudice or whether you’re genuinely trying to highlight a deficiency in Silverlight that you’d like to see us address. Every product issues updates, including Adobe’s – it’s quite common to see them issue a Flash update because of either a security vulnerability or just new features. You can take us to task on many things, but I’m not sure that I understand why the fact we issue updates from time to time is evidence of failure on our part.

Tim

22. develop .net says:

Silverlight 2 のマイナーアップデート版である Silverlight 2 GDR(General Distribution Release) 1 が公開されました。基本的には、いくつかのバグフィックスを行ったものです。

23. Just putting a note here for people to know that the source is now also available in Visual Basic, courtesy of Neal Andrews!

[we will incorporate that to the source tree on the next release]

Cheers,

24. Charles Waudby says:

I think even this release will not install with McAfee running, seem to have the same access to reg key HKLMS..MozillaPlugins that we have with .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and the HKLMS..Mozilla key.

Site is using McAfee Virusscan Enterprise versions 8.n

The advice to stop the McAfee services during install is OK for one machine but not for the thousands on site.

Any advice appreciated.

25. This week Microsoft Release an GDR to silverlight 2 which included some minor fixes. Here is a list of the main changes in the GDR (build 2.0.40115.0): Fixes problems that were caused by Silverlight and McAfee scanning tools interactions UI automation

26. You seriously could not make this type of stuff up. Microsoft released an update to Silverlight 2 recently . Did they call is SP1? Nope. Did they call it anything related to ANY other product strategy they have on the planet? Nope. Silverlight 2 GDR 1

27. Silverlight 2 RTW, GDR, GDR1 makes me say WTF?