So You’ve Installed Silverlight 2 Beta 1: What Next?

OK, so you’ve got all the bits downloaded and installed on your machine. What’s the best way to start to get familiar with everything we’ve added to Silverlight 2?

Well, you could do worse than start with the thirty page hands-on lab that I spent part of last week frantically working on! This lab takes you through the various steps of creating and packaging an application, figuring out layout and controls, all the way through to creating a mini-game using Silverlight 2. It’s a good lab to get familiar with XAML, Expression and the new Visual Studio tools.

Once you’re done with that lab, there are a number of others that you can go through to add depth to your knowledge, written by Adam and Laurence. Download them here. And if even that isn’t enough for you, there are some tutorials here that Jesse Liberty has been working on. Hopefully that’s plenty to get you up and running for now!

1. Anonymous says:

The controls are all available under an open source license…

Why are there no CLOSED source licensed controls in VS2008 for input? I looked at Kathy Kim’s controls demo and have to ask what single compelling (UI) reason is there to switch from ASP.NET or WinForm controls to EITHER WPF or Silverlight? These are absolute rubbish. Wouldn’t it just be better if MS sold VS2008 without controls? One could forgive MS for not ‘Windows-ifying’ the browser experience back in ’95. For the 2001 .NET era, it was questionable, but it’s 2008? There’s no real UI overlap here, no online/offline story. There isn’t even a Windows story any more. Tell me MS aren’t selling crippleware, tell me it isn’t a conspiracy and that MS aren’t frightened to death of handing out professional controls to developers. Having waited, waited, waited… it’s ASP.NET or Flash.

2. Anonymous says:

Silverlight 2 Beta 1 seems to be great, but it’s a pity the tools for Visual Studio don’t work with the Express editions. 🙁

3. Anonymous says:

I’m sure your write up is terrific but I can’t get the SDK to install! No Silverlight templates show up in the New Project dialog. I’ve repaired, uninstalled, and reinstalled the SDK and it’s no good! I’ve run out of things to try. Any ideas? This is on Vista SP1.

4. Tim Sneath says:

Hi Roger,

The SDK itself doesn’t contain the Visual Studio 2008 add-ins. Your best best is to install the Visual Studio "chainer", which installs the runtime, the SDK and the tools all in one handy, convenient package. Here’s a link:

Best wishes,

5. Anonymous says:

That’s what I get for dl’ing something while it’s still being discussed. All good now Tim, thanks!

6. Anonymous says:

If someone interested I posted a Custom Control development article on CodeProject for Silverlight 2.0 Beta1.

7. Anonymous says:

This morning during the key note @ Mix, Microsoft announced that Silverlight 2 Beta 1,  Expression

8. Anonymous says:

what are you talking about..? are you saying you dont want the input controls to be open source? (so that you can change them for your app and then sell them) and no offline/online scenario? dude, do your homework.. you can move a sl2 assembly directly in to desktop wpf without even re compiling.. (assuming you dont use the few sl2 spesific stuff like the browser classes)

the databinding alone is reason enough to pick wpf/sl2 over forms or and then there is the styling and templating.. xaml is so much more expressive than forms or and flash..? dude if you like actionscript, fine.. if you wanna use a real (and standardized) programming language(and have your pick between the all the .net languages), sl2 is the way to go..

9. Anonymous says:

Has anyone noticed that the designer features don’t work in 2008 team edition? just me?

10. Anonymous says:

Hi todd morrison,

If you are talking about the visual designer for Silverlight XAML, the limitation has been mentioned by Microsoft already. So at this stage the designer desktop is still READ ONLY to Silverlight controls. However Microsoft said they will finally get it working.

To help make your current work easier, you can,

1) Download Blend 2.5 Preview to graphically design the UI. I have tried that today and found it interacts with Visual Studio 2008 just perfectly (I have to say I almost want to buy it when it is officially released, if there is a good pricing on it).

2) Drag and drop controls to XAML text editor and modify them in there.

11. Anonymous says:

Any articles on deployment?  I can create Silverlight 2 apps that run in the IDE no problem, but published apps just create a white browser screen that is all Silverlight (if you right click on it).

12. Anonymous says:

I’d like to apologise to the blog and for ‘throwing my rattle out of the pram’. SORRY. Have had a lot of competition from the local Flash community – frustrating times, just would like to see this stuff further ahead. Today I installed VS2008 and the SL2 beta – absolutely no install issues which is good news (of course having cleared out a lot of previous alpha/beta stuff). It was awesome to write a very basic SL2 test page. I think my comments really stem from 3 things: 1) there really is a serious shortfall in the VS 2008 control toolbox for WPF (DataGrid, DatePicker and a more customisable TreeView); 2) this antialiasing ‘thing’ really does seem to create some ugly stuff from time to time (interestingly my little test page seems to render better than KK’s online demo); 3) I think BOTH WPF controls and SL controls should start out looking identical. Keep the basic controls really clean, clear and simple. That is what is so good about ASP.NET and HTML controls – they’re plain for starters. Of course XAML can be taken and ‘jazzed up’ with Blend and the likes ad infinitum.

Rod Mac

13. Anonymous says:

Just to add to previous, whilst I’m sure it’s in Code + Markup somewhere, it would be nice to get pointed in Quickstarts to an example where one took a basic control, was able to wrap it with a new property in C# whilst  being able to expose that property as XAML. Something like a SpecialBorder or a MyHalo round a textbox would do! Coupled with really clean start controls, think that would ‘show the way’ to obviate some of the ‘pre-decorated frustrations’ whilst creating a nice parallel with OwnerDraw.

14. Anonymous says:

duh, like the ‘Creating Custom Controls for Silverlight’ Quickstart (numeric up down)!

15. Anonymous says:

I followed your lab but found that the IsFullScreen stuff near the end didn’t work in Firefox on Windows.  It did work in IE.  Anyone else have that problem?

16. karl1406 says:

Karl here.  I’ve started writing Mole for Silverlight.  It’s going very well and hope to ship soon.

I have a minor bump in the carpet.  SL 2 does not have a TreeView control.  Any ideas?  I’ve spend hours searching, did find one company but their control set is $550.00 for a distributable license.  I only need a TreeView to finish.  I really don’t want to spend 3-4 days writing a TreeView for Silverlight if possible.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Karl Shifflett

17. Anonymous says:

Just a quick point, in the Silverlight Fundamentals doc it tells you to take a look at the binary ouput but it forgets to tell you to build the code first. I know, but it is aimed at the total novice, might be nice just to throw a ‘press build now’ in there first 😉

18. Anonymous says:

Yes, we have Silverlight 2 Videos and Yes we have Silverlight 2 tutorials But don't miss Tim Sneath's

19. Anonymous says:

20. Anonymous says:

21. Anonymous says:

Any has a tutorial for creating a custom control that is bindable ?

so you kan write:

22. adefwebserver says:

The lab was really very good. Great job.

23. Anonymous says:

Great lab Tim!  Just what I needed to get rolling with the new Silverlight Beta.