Here’s a consolidated list of all the key downloads you’ll need to update your developer workstation to the latest and greatest technologies announced this morning:
- Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1
- Silverlight 2 Beta 1 Runtime
- Silverlight 2 Tools for Visual Studio 2008 and SDK
- Updated: Source Code / Unit Tests for Silverlight 2 Controls
- Expression Studio 2 Beta (contains Blend, Design, Encoder, Media and Web)
- Expression Blend 2.5 March 2008 Preview
- Updated: Expression DeepZoom Composer
- ASP.NET MVC Preview 2
A couple of tips:
- The Silverlight 2 Tools release (third item above) includes the Silverlight 2 runtime and the SDK. You don’t need to install the runtime separately first: just run the tools installer and you’ll have everything you need.
- The Visual Studio extensions don’t work with the Express editions – make sure you’ve got the full Visual Studio 2008 installed before attempting to install them.
- If you installed Silverlight 1.1 Alpha, uninstall it first, along with any related tools or SDKs before installing Silverlight 2 Beta 1. I watched someone get into a bit of a mess this morning by trying to update Silverlight 1.1 Alpha in-place. Fortunately, they were still able to uninstall and reinstall, but you’re definitely best to start with a clean machine.