Deploying Silverlight in the Enterprise

As more and more Silverlight sites become available, enterprise administrators are starting to ask for guidance on how Silverlight should be deployed in a corporate environment. Obviously, at one level it’s as straightforward as executing the installer, but there are typically a whole ton of questions that need answering:

• What files and registry keys does Silverlight install?
  • Will Silverlight break any existing applications?
  • What are the command-line switches to configure installation?
  • How do I deploy Silverlight through SMS or System Center?
  • How is Silverlight serviced and updated?
  • How do you configure Silverlight settings via Group Policy?

Fortunately, one of my colleagues, David Tesar has kindly come to the rescue and written a very comprehensive white paper that answers all these questions plus many more. The Silverlight Enterprise Deployment Guide is available for download now. We gave the white paper a trial run ourselves when Microsoft IT used SMS to deploy Silverlight internally. Download it and send it to your systems administrator today – it’s worth their time to read.

1. Anonymous says:

Via le blog de Tim Sneath , on apprend que David Tesar vient de mettre à disposition un document intitulé

2. Anonymous says:

Good guide, but why rely on scripts when deploying with group policy rather than providing an MSI package? I thought that the latter was Microsoft’s preferred option.

3. Anonymous says:

Deploying Silverlight in the Enterprise As more and more Silverlight sites become available, enterprise…

4. Anonymous says:

Yes this sucks. Why cant MS provide a redistributable version in MSI form? Hopefully, Silverlight 1.1 will change this.

5. Anonymous says:

Someone asked in comments if we had a document like this (http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2007/09/28/deploying-silverlight-in-the-enterprise.aspx) for Flash Player. Why, yes we do! The Flash Player Administration Guide went live August 27th. It covers

6. Anonymous says:

This is absolutely ridiculous.  What happened to the push towards making Windows Installer the de facto solution for deployment on the Windows platform?  A separate executable with yet another set of switches to learn shows that the setup and deployment process was a complete afterthought for the Silverlight team.  With work going on to further efforts in installation by the hard working folks that are bringing WiX to the fore front it is a shame to see another splinter in the installation story.  This has done nothing more than create another barrier for adoption for Silverlight because it increases the burden of systems administrators everywhere to come up yet another way to manage the deployment of the Silverlight runtime.  Seriously, you expect us to use login scripts?  I think I’m having a flash back to Novell NetWare and the earlier 1990s.  I hope there is some serious consideration and review before 1.1 RTMs.  There is no consistent setup story across the Microsoft product line today and the lack of such is only increasing the total cost of ownership when it comes to ease of deployment and adopting of future updates.  As someone who tries to keep the company on the leading edge things like this give me no confidence that things will only get easier as technology evolves.  This is nothing more than a stop gap measure for a poorly conceived installation plan.

7. Anonymous says:

Tim Sneath-sanのブログにSiverlightのエンタープライズ用配置のガイドがダウンロード可能になっています。 すでに1.0ベースの運用を考えている方はチェックしてください。 http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2007/09/28/deploying-silverlight-in-the-enterprise.aspx ht

8. Anonymous says:

I just came across this whitepaper via Tim Sneath . Definitely a must read for enterprises who want to

9. Anonymous says:

Silverlight Cream for October 1, 2007

10. Anonymous says:

1. Please provide an MSI redistributable.

2. Please support WMA Pro in Silverlight.

11. Anonymous says:

Found via the Public Sector Developer blog , Tim Sneath points to a guide for those with questions about

12. Anonymous says:

With all the hype/buzz around Silverlight, a lot of folks have been asking me…when will Microsoft make

13. Anonymous says:

Here is the latest in my link-listing series . Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials page

14. Anonymous says:

15. Anonymous says:

16. Anonymous says:

17. Anonymous says:

【原文地址】 October 8th Links: ASP.NET, ASP.NET AJAX, Silverlight, and .NET 【原文发表日期】 Monday, October 08, 2007

18. Anonymous says:

Here is the latest in my link-listing series .&; Also check out my ASP.NET Tips, Tricks and Tutorials

19. Anonymous says:

I will never develop for Silverlight, will never install the plugin, and will promote the same idea to everyone I know. I have had enough with your IFE! Revenge time, biatch!

Flash/Flex FTW!

20. Tim Sneath says:

Thanks for your considered feedback, Donnie. I appreciate your thoughts on the business value of Silverlight. Maybe I’m not as up on urban slang as I should be, but could you explain what "IFE" is?

Best wishes, Tim

21. Anonymous says:

During the Q&A in Reston, Marc and I mentioned a few places of interest. The Silverlight Deployment

22. Anonymous says:

Most of the examples here for Silverlight media have been focused on consumer content, and that’s been the bulk of our broader marketing story so far. But we are Microsoft, and so enterprise is a huge portion of our bread and butter, and we want to see

23. Anonymous says:

Based on the questions I received in the last period, I’d like to share here some links that will eventually