Preparing for Silverlight 1.0 RC and Beyond

In just a couple of weeks, we’ll be ready to publish the Release Candidate of Silverlight 1.0 to the web. We’re in the final stages of stabilization as we close in on launch; fixing the last few bugs, doing detailed security penetration testing work, resolving any remaining inconsistencies and completing the last fit and finish work.

As Joe Stegman intimates in his recent blog posting, there are a few breaking changes between the beta and release candidate. Moving forward, the API is stable: there should be no further breaking changes between the release candidate and the final release. If you’ve already released a Silverlight application today based on the beta, we wanted to give you some advanced warning and ability to prepare for the RC so that your page isn’t broken when the release candidate comes out.

To that end, we’ve prepared a special preview SDK release that contains the following items:

• A new silverlight.js file that detects both the beta and the RC version;

• A breaking changes document that highlights differences between the beta and RC;

• An updated Visual Studio template that demonstrates the correct way to embed the new control;

• A EULA that governs legal usage of the above items.

Using the above resources, you should be able to fairly quickly convert your Silverlight object across so that it runs on both the beta and the release candidate without change. To be clear, this preview release does not contain the Silverlight 1.0 RC itself; it’s a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation in that we want to get sites ready before we release the RC, but it’s hard for folk to be sure they’re ready until we release the RC! Nevertheless, if you follow the breaking changes advice and update silverlight.js now, you can hopefully get to a point where your code is ready for Silverlight 1.0 RC after a quick smoke test.

Download the preview here.

1. The Silverlight Team is getting close to a Release Candidate. Tim Sneath can get you up to speed in today’s

2. The Silverlight Team is getting close to a Release Candidate. Tim Sneath can get you up to speed in today's

3. Tim Sneath からです。 Preparing for Silverlight 1.0 RC and Beyond 二週間程で Silverlight 1.0 RC がリリースされるとの事です。現在はバグ修正等が収束して

4. Xaml rendering differences in Silverlight 1.0 and WPF – not a good thing – tell us about it… [Via: rrelyea]…

5. Tim Sneath has posted a blog post with a sample SDK pack of the new RC he describe what is going to change

6. Hey Tim,

is there any guestimate on when the next Silverlight 1.1 bits will be released? It’s exciting to hear that 1.0 is nearing completion but to be honest 1.1 is the version that REALLY excites a lot of us  :)

7. tims says:

Hi Andy, unfortunately I can’t share that information at this stage. But we’re working hard on Silverlight 1.1 and the alpha release from two months ago demonstrates that we’ve already made a lot of progress.

8. Mike D says:

Tim,

Let me second the 1.1 comment. It’s easy to tell from the SL forum that 1.1 is the hot ticket. I never quite got the existance of the JS SL 1.0 and personally will only dev on the dotnet version. We are waiting for the go-live dotnet SL with some basic UI Input controls.

Thanks.

9. Samiq says:

[… As the Silverlight team gets ready to the lunch of Silverlight 1.0 RC in a couple of weeks, Tim Sneath et team want to make sure that before it hits the road, and the masses, you will be prepared and will make the changes to your application so that it won’t break once its out …] pingback from http://samiqbits.blogspot.com

10. WangJiping says:

yep,we’d prefer silverlight 1.1 , give us guidlines !

11. Penso che tutti sappiate cosa sia Silverlight, ma in breve potrei definirlo come: un plug-in per diversi

12. Avec l’approche de la disponibilité de la prochaine version intermédiaire de Silverlight 1.0, la Release

13. Avec l'approche de la disponibilité de la prochaine version intermédiaire de Silverlight 1.0, la

14. Penso che tutti sappiate cosa sia Silverlight, ma in breve potrei definirlo come: un plug-in per diversi

15. Prepare your self to the Silverlight 1.0 RC1 edition which can be downloaded from here " Silverlight

16. בשבועות הקרובים תשוחרר גרסת RC ל- Silverlight 1.0. על ההבדלים והשינויים שהולכים וקרבים ניתן ללמוד מ הפוסט

17. עדלאי ריכז את כל מה שצריך לדעת על השחרור הצפוי( חלק 1 וחלק 2 ). RC – Release Candidate הוא השלב המקדים

18. BinaryJam says:

Thats nice.

so I’ve plugged in the new Sliverlight.js, and checked all my JS namespaces are fine.  Now Run it.

"Click here to download RC1".

Triffic,  marvellous.  I have the Aplha installed, why on earth am I being prompted to download the RC1, sure I can understand it if I had just the beta installed. But I got the alpha.

I take it that at exactly the same time as the RC1 there will be a new Alpha that Silverlight.js knows about, if not I feel a newer version of Silverlight.js coming on even though I’m not allowed to edit it !!!!!!

19. Kevin Tunis says:

Tim, is there a Silverlight Starter kit or template that includes the master page with the script code for Silverlight so that we can create Silverlight web sites? I have been trying to get this answered over on the Silverlight forms http://tinyurl.com/24mrq9.

20. Ian says:

I got a lot of feedback when I posted my copy of the Silverlight Surface demo via my Silverlight hosting account.  I and others were confused for a while as most people already had the 1.0 bits and couldn’t understand why they were getting the Silverlight download prompt (as it turns out, quite correctly –  for the 1.1 Alpha release).

Just a thought but is there any mileage in the Silverlight.js informing people of the bits they currently have and do not have? (at least just until things settle down a bit?)

NB The channel9 discussion thread refered to is here:

Keep up the good work!

21. Greg says:

Hi,

Are controls like TextBox, ComboBox, … available for the RC1 ?

22. We’ve been working like mad to get Silverlight v1.0 ready to ship. We’ve improved perf, added a small

23. We’ve been working like mad to get Silverlight v1.0 ready to ship. We’ve improved perf, added a small

24. Preparing for Silverlight 1.0 RC and Beyond Silveright Breaking Changes between Mix and Version 1.0…

25. Taedi says:

that Great!

Silverlight 1.0 preview

26. Arul Vivekananth says:

Hi

I am using Silverlight Alpha 1.1, Is there any updates ( RC)  for the ALPHA .

27. Link Listing – July 13, 2007

28. The last editorial I wrote about Visual Studio 2008’s multi-targeting support , however as the Launch

29. The last editorial I wrote about Visual Studio 2008's multi-targeting support , however as the Launch

30. There are going to be some breaking changes in the upcoming Silverlight RC. We want to prepare people

31. There are going to be some breaking changes in the upcoming Silverlight RC. We want to prepare people

32. mathieu k says:

Hi,

We have developped a video player using the PreviewMedia.js from the Media Encoder 1.0Templates.

Where is it possible to find a version of that script that will work with the RC version?

33. Tim Sneath says:

34. As indicated in a previous post , we’re homing in on the launch of Silverlight 1.0, and today marks another

35. Vu sur le blog de Tim Sneath : As indicated in a previous post , we’re homing in on the launch of Silverlight

36. Can’t say too much about code, programming, that’s not my bag – I’m just a dedicated Microsoft Products user, and guess what?  About 04:30 hours today Thursday September 6, 2007 I downloaded and installed Silverlight v.1.02.  Had a couple of incidental problems yesterday with the download, quite possibly linked to my computer’s RAID network – however, no big deal – all is cool right now.  Well, let me tell you, that the quality of the video is equal to or surpasses the quality of my HDTV reception.  I wear eye glasses, am Visually_Impaired, but Lo’ and Behold – Silverlight took care of my problems – SNAP – POP – and KRACKLE – WOW – what a performance.  Never saw anything like it before, and surely how can anyone TOP THIS ONE?  Impossible, unless 3 dimension – my Hat’s OFF – to Microsoft Corporation, the Silverlight Team and all of the partners that supported this exciting, innovating, and brilliant technology…….and, I’m telling the truth.

Thank you for this opportunity to provide you with feedback.

37. בשבועות הקרובים תשוחרר גרסת RC ל- Silverlight 1.0. על ההבדלים והשינויים שהולכים וקרבים ניתן ללמוד מ הפוסט