Silverlight Streaming is Now Live

Head over to to create yourself a Silverlight Streaming account key and begin uploading your Silverlight applications and media. Silverlight Streaming allows you to upload up to 4GB of media content, with videos of up to ten minutes in length. The storage is “in the cloud” and files are globally cached.

Here’s a rough and raw walkthrough of how you can use it:

• Grab yourself the trial edition of Expression Media Encoder;
  • Take a video and encode it – make sure you go to the Output tab and choose a player template;
  • At the end of the encode process, you should have a directory that contains the media file, some XAML and JavaScript files and any thumbnails that you’ve specified through the Markers tool-window.
  • You’ll need to remove any .html, .aspx, .media, .csproj or .config files from the output directory. You won’t need these for the Silverlight Streaming service.
  • Then you’ll want to add a manifest that describes the Silverlight application; for a default player from Expression Media Encoder (I used the Glassy theme), you can use the following manifest:

• Save the manifest as manifest.xml and add it to the directory.
  • Now simply zip all the files up (make sure they’re in the root of the zip file).
  • From, go to the Manage Applications tab and upload the application.
  • From here, Silverlight Streaming will guide you through the remaining steps, providing you with the JavaScript and HTML code you’ll need to add to your page to access the streamed content.

Check out the WPF Momentum video I posted a short while ago to see an example deployed in action.

1. Anonymous says:

The curtain has been raised on a whole slew of news related to Silverlight , formerly codenamed "WPF/E".

2. Anonymous says:

With the first day of MIX, it seems like there’s been a staggering stream of announcements (all…

3. Anonymous says:

… Vi har jo ikke en chance for at følge med! MIX07 er igang, og jeg sidder her og prøver at følge med

4. Anonymous says:

Came across Silverlight early this day, didn’t know it’s previously codenamed "WPF/E". Anyway it might be good to try out the 4GB video space, eh..

5. Anonymous says:

6. PapaJohn says:

Thanks Tim… toward my goal of rolling out Silverlight packages with the Expression Media Encoder, I hadn’t been able to get past the local viewing of the results. With your info, I’m now at 2nd base with a viewable online page with a playing Silverlight viewer in it.

My goal is to have all the parts on my own website host server, not some parts on it and others on the Microsoft Silverlight Streaming server…. but it feels much better to be on 2nd base. Your blog got me there.

7. Anonymous says:

在Mix上,微软开始公布其Web战略的关键部分。微软发布了一款α版Silverlight 1.1,使开发人员能够利用包括脚本语言在内的.Net语言编写能够在IE、Firefox、 Safari上运行的应用.基于Silverlight

8. Anonymous says:

ふたたび Tim Sneath のブログ からの情報です。実のところ、(Silverlight 1.1 Alpha のクイックスタートよりも^_^;)こちらをさっさと紹介すべきじゃないかとも思っていたものです。が、ちょっとアレ?と思うところがあったまま、今まで放っておいてしまいました。以下の訳注に書いたとおり、ちょっとしたことだったのですが^_^;

9. Anonymous says:

Microsoft Silverlight is a cross-browser , cross-platform plug-in for delivering the next generation

10. Anonymous says:

Tim Sneath hat kürzlich einen Artikel über "Video-Streaming mit Silverlight und" geschrieben!

11. Anonymous says:

12. Anonymous says:

I decided to record a short video tutorial on Silverlight Streaming. The scenario is this: you have a

13. Anonymous says:

Last week I posted about my interview with Angus Logan and Danny Thorpe and included the whole interview in the blog post by using Silverlight Streaming by Windows Live . But just what did I need to do to get that all working? Here I will show you. Encoding

14. Anonymous says:

A ver… tenía que contar en mi blog que Titín III había ganando, a sus 38 añazos, la txapela del 4 y

15. Anonymous says: