Introducing Microsoft Silverlight

It is with tremendous pleasure that I can reveal Microsoft Silverlight: our next-generation, cross-platform, cross-browser web client runtime. Silverlight (previously codenamed “WPF/E”) is a lightweight subset of XAML for building rich media experiences on the web.

There’s lots of material at the NAB virtual press room site, but I thought I’d share my top ten list of reasons why you might want to use Silverlight:

1. It supports playback of WMV files on both PC and Macintosh, with many options for interactivity during playback; with just a couple of lines of code, you can provide a platform-neutral way to handle all your movie files. Silverlight supports full-screen 720p video and offers seamless transitions between full-screen and windowed mode without losing your position in the video (something that media sites are crying out for today).
  2. By separating markup (XAML) from code, Silverlight provides a familiar web metaphor for designers and developers. You can embed XAML directly within an HTML file if you want a simple, monolithic solution, or you can keep the two separate to enforce a delineation between different web development roles.
  3. Silverlight and HTML integrate seamlessly together. Every XAML element can be accessed or manipulated from the same client-side JavaScript that would be used to interact with any DHTML element: there are no artificial boundaries or barriers, and you can even overlay HTML elements on top of Silverlight content (simply by creating a windowless frame). We’ll also make it very easy for an ASP.NET AJAX developer to add Silverlight content.
  4. You can embed XAML directly into your HTML pages; there’s nothing binary or opaque about the format. There are only three steps necessary to add animation or media to your RIA application: (i) include a standard JavaScript file in your HTML header; (ii) call a function to create the Silverlight object anywhere on the screen; (iii) add some XAML content (an animation, some media) for runtime delivery.
  5. You have full runtime interactivity with Silverlight content. The contents of the XAML file can be completely server-generated, to contain information populated from a database. From JavaScript, it’s just a matter of calling the createFromXaml method to add or remove elements dynamically at runtime. There’s nothing that you can only create or manipulate at design-time.
  6. Silverlight is just a 1MB download on a PC (slightly more on a Macintosh because the universal package contains both Intel and PowerPC versions); it supports Windows XP and above, with Windows 2000 support to come.
  7. Silverlight is blindingly fast – for example, you can play many videos simultaneously without stuttering or dropping frames (subject to network bandwidth, of course). We’re introducing a new video brush in Silverlight that allows you to use video as a texture for any 2D object (a rectangle, an ellipse or a path). This is going to allow designers incredible power to use media in new ways that have never been accessible through other existing technologies.
  8. Silverlight is both client- and server-agnostic. There’s no difference between the Macintosh and PC runtimes; you don’t need any Microsoft software on the server if you don’t want to – you can deliver a great Silverlight experience from an Apache / Linux server to a Mac OS 10.4 client.
  9. Silverlight is almost 100% upward compatible with WPF. Animation, 2D vector graphics, media, text – they’re all present in Silverlight and the concepts you’ve learnt in WPF carry forward (although Silverlight is a subset – it doesn’t support WPF features such as 3D, data binding or templates). You can use the same tools (e.g. Expression Design) to generate content for Silverlight; you can take XAML from Silverlight and use it in a WPF application when you want to scale up and take full advantage of your local machine.
  10. Ah… #10. I can’t reveal this yet – there’s a big surprise up our collective corporate sleeve that will be announced at MIX. I hate to hold back on you, but anticipation is part of the pleasure, as my mother used to tell me as a child when I was waiting impatiently for Christmas to come!

Now that Windows Vista is done, I’ll be shifting the focus of my blog slightly – I’ll still write just as much about WPF, but I’ll also start to write about its web-based little brother, since they both are part of the same continuum and my day-to-day job incorporates both technologies equally. Rich interactive web-based and Windows-based content; it’s an exciting time to be a client platform evangelist!

1. I thought Microsoft was going to wait until MIX 07 to announce some of this stuff, but chose the National

2. I thought Microsoft was going to wait until MIX 07 to announce some of this stuff, but chose the National

3. Marc says:

What about managed code and controls?

4. Rosyna says:

Does this mean Microsoft will finally start shipping a WMV codec for Mac OS X?

5. Stephane Rodriguez says:

No wonder Microsoft is never mentioning "round-tripping scenarios". Because Silvelright supports none. Of all 9 points above, 9 of the 9 are lock-in scenarios. Only newbies will be fooled.

6. Nuovo rilascio diMicrosoft Silverlight,piattaforma conosciutacon il codename WPF/E, per la creazione

7. The official name as well as site is now out for Silverlight, which used to be called WPF/E. Lookin'

8. Microsoft has announced that the little cross-platform, cross-browser cousin of Windows Presentation

9. So Microsoft Silverlight is the official name for WPF/e. Read Tim Sneath’s announcement on his blog here

10. Microsoft dévoile un peu plus Siverlight (feu WPF/E) à l’occasion du NAB 2007. Présentation des innovations du framework Microsoft, dans la partie d’échec 2.0 l’opposant à Adobe Apollo. La réponse du berger à la bergère Tim Sneath est un

11. yuvipanda says:

Love the Logo. The Microsoft Naming Conventions seem to be changing for the better: Expression Interactive Designer (a long boring name) became Expression Blend, and now WPF/E becomes Silverlight with a friggin cool Logo.

You people should’ve reserved the "Wow is now" thing for Mix…

12. yuvipanda says:

And, hey, hopefully, there’ll be an Expression Blend Express Edition for those students and hobbyists around here. We won’t even mind if it’s restricted to only non-commercial use, like the Robotics Studio..

13. Microsoft Vista evangelist Tim Sneath has revealed Silverlight, a browser plug-in for playing rich media files (video, animation, interactivity) — direct competitor of Adobe's Flash Player. Silverlight will be available for both Mac and Windows and

14. Sam Gentile says:

Tim Sneath : " It is with tremendous pleasure that I can reveal Microsoft Silverlight : our next-generation,

15. Just Windows and Mac? No Linux? Restricted to just WMV?

16. Varun Mathur says:

cross-posting from my blog:

I’m sure this will also contain rich document support (think PDF) as well. Microsoft has been working on a PDF-killer (codenamed Metro ?) and I don’t think they’ll like users to download two plugins – one for Silverlight and one for Metro. So I think the big announcement from Ray Ozzie on April 30th at the MIX conference in Las Vegas is going to be the inclusion of this rich document support in Silverlight. So their pitch for Silverlight will be compelling: here’s this ONE seamless thing with which you get the benefits of Flash, PDF and HTML, plus a few more extras.

17. Introducing Microsoft SilverlightIt is with tremendous pleasure that I can reveal Microsoft Silverlight:…

18. PDBL says:

By "available on PC or MAC" you mean available on Personnal computers or on a PC running  a Microsoft Operating System?

19. You’ve heard snippets of details about what this thing code-named "WPF/e" could do, maybe even downloaded

20. (이미지는 네뷸라라는 로고) Microsoft Silverlight 그동안 언급을 하지 않던 마이크로소프트의 차세대 웹 전략의 일부인 Microsoft Silverlight 브랜드가

21. msdn Austria says:

Auf der NAB Konferenz in Las Vegas wurde der neue Produktname, sowie weitere Details über die neueste

22. Those of you, who visited my session on Windows Presentation Foundation, hopefully remember speaking

23. Dave Porter says:

Is it going to support SVG?

24. Microsoft has announced Silverlight . Microsoft’s next-generation, cross-platform, cross-browser web

25. someonme says:

I don’t really understand the 8th point. It says that Silverlight is both client- and server-agnostic, but it also says that there is a runtime environment for MAC and PC (obviously meaning MS-Windows, Linux can also be a PC Tim). I beleave about the server-agnostic side, it’s logical, but I think that the sentence about the client-agnostic magic is COMPLETELY FALSE.

Please, tell me how to run this on my Linux box (an x86 PC) and don’t lie on your posts Tim.

26. Yes! Windows Presentation Foundation /Everywhere (WPF/E) now has a official name – Microsoft Sliverlight.

27. Kelly White says:

Many of you have heard of WPF/e , or Windows Presentation Foundation Everywhere . Well it was just announced

28. Annoncé en exclusivité à la conférence NAB , le nom final du projet connu sous le nom de code WPF/e est

29. Microsoft changed the name of WPF/E to Microsoft Silverlight. This has to be the first time I've

30. WPF/E ganhou seu nome de mercado Silverlight. Como disse em um post anterior precisávamos de um nome

31. Joe says:

New video brush, what’s wrong with the original Video Brush in WPF.  Do you mean new to Silverlight?

No Databinding!!  That’s like C# without classes !  It makes porting code between WPF and Silverlight very difficult.  It basically removes the whole MVC architecture.

No templates imply that there won’t be any real ItemsControl support either (listboxes etc).  If there is then it’s going to be really limited and perform like a dog for large lists.

So will no. 10 be the not so secret cross platform mini runtime?  I hope this makes it into v.1.  I also hope this makes it onto my phone, zune and some future XBOX RIA platform.

32. jpick says:

Where’s the Linux download?

No Linux = not cross platform.

33. Vince says:

Will there be Linux client support like Flashplayer?

What about Solaris and *BSD ?

34. someonme says:

No Linux = not cross platform

I would say more:

No open source = not cross platform

35. Matt says:

If this is wmv only then "a platform-neutral way to handle all your movie files" only holds true if all of your movie files are wmv – I don’t have a single one on my hard drive (unless there are some tucked away in the system folders being used for stuff built into Windows)

So unless this also works with other video formats I’m decidedly unexcited

36. Chris says:

I won’t use it unless there is a Linux client. Compatibility should be top priority.

37. Tim Sneath : It is with tremendous pleasure that I can reveal Microsoft Silverlight : our next-generation,

38. Well, the cat is out of the bag ! "WPF/E" now has a real name: Microsoft Silverlight . There’s a lot

39. squareman says:

Amazing. Cross-platform compatible usually means that it can handle Windows and Macintosh at minimum (and should also include Linux). They even claim Mac compatibility. Too bad the demo video won’t play on my Mac; neither inline in the Web page nor if I download the stand-alone file.

Typical.

40. jackbond says:

Tragic. Microsoft loses .00001% of the user community, which detests them anyway, by not supporting Silverlight on Linux. I love how MSFT treats those particular losers for what they are. Obviously MSFT could support Linux as the code already runs on unix. HAHAHA, boohoo it isn’t open source, boohoo MSFT doesn’t love us. When will they ever tire of barking at the moon?

41. Anon says:

#10 Is open source.

42. hacked.brain says:

WPF/E no more, say hello to Silverlight

43. William Portcullis says:

Windows + Mac w/ Flip4Mac != cross-platform

Even Adobe’s flash product works on Win, Mac, Linux, *BSD, and Solaris, and they’ve got a fraction as may developers.

There’s particularly a huge base of Linux machines running Flash on kiosks, and now it’s popping up in more and more phones and embedded systems. No Linux support means Microsoft completely ceding the largest grwoing market for the technology to Adobe… What’s with that? Since when does MS throw in the towel so easy? Man, Paul Graham was right! Who woulda thunk?

44. After lurking in the shadow of it’s codename for several months Silverlight has finally been announced

45. Mc.caine says:

>No Linux = not cross platform.

Yes its Cross plaform…

Linux is just a geek toy

46. Scott Lloyd says:

I am a Windows developer and hate Linux but I think MS should write plugins for Linux if they really want this to become a widely-accepted standard. If they leave it to the Linux community it will either never be built or be lacking in some sort of feature and the Linux people will say MS didn’t give them enough info to build it. maybe they’d be right, maybe not.. but it’d just not work unless ms just does it themselves. If it’s so goddamn important they might as well.

47. andri.dk says:

s/cross platform/dual platform/

48. Where’s the linux client? If there would be one I could think about using it.

Regards,

Armin

49. iChris says:

No thanks. I will keep using Flash.

50. Mike says:

I second the need for compiled c# possibly they will allow the compiled code to include only the dotnet bits used in the app into the bytecode, do this and the apps are a little larger, but you never have to worry about what framework version you are working with. Now that would be so cool…

51. Steve says:

This is exciting for all of us getting Flash CS3!  It means that a good portion of newbies will be fooled into using this attempt at cutting edge technology like Flash.  Best of luck, sorry I won’t be playing along, as I just abandoned my defense of Windows after seeing how much Vista looked like a Mac.  If you can’t beat em’, copy ’em!

52. easytiger says:

Is this an open standard? No.

You claim cross platform. That term generally means it can be arbitrarily cross platform because the code base can be appropriately modified where required. You have written an application that happens to be targeted to two different platforms. Not the same thing.

m32r, armeb, SuperH, ppc64, AMD64, S/390, IA-64, HP PA-RISC, MIPS CPUs, ARM, Motorola/IBM PowerPC, Alpha, Sun SPARC, Motorola 68k, Intel x86 / IA-32 are the architectures supported by the Debian project.

THAT, is cross platform.

53. CrunchBack says:

Link: Tim Sneath : Introducing Microsoft Silverlight. Technology aside – and I’m in no position to judge the technology – here are my reasons to AVOID Silverlight… 1. Cross-platform@MS = Trojan Horse: Microsoft promotes this as cross-platform. The truth

54. CrunchBack says:

Late.  Not needed.  Not compelling.  Flash already pwns Silverlight and it’s not even 1 day old.  Nothing to see here…

55. friend says:

congratulations on this long-awaited product. I think the market is ready for it.

56. James says:

Another proprietary product aimed at locking users into Microsoft-only technologies?  No thanks.

57. Gabe says:

Sorry to see the lack of linux support.  Flash has up to date plugins for Linux, I’m sure MS could make an effort as well…

58. Idag på NAB-mässan publicerades en hel del information om den nya teknik för rikare webbapplikationer

59. Microsoft Bob says:

"…cross-platform, cross-browser web client runtime…"

Dual-platform, not cross-platform. And what other browsers other than IE will bother implementing inline XAML parsing?

This is tiresome. You guys know that the Mac isn’t much of a threat to MS because people are too in love with commodity hardware and Apple will never offer a platform based on commodity hardware. But you also know that Linux in the enterprise is a sleeping giant. All I can think of when I read another silly anouncement from some bottom-feeder or PR flak (and that’s basically what an evangelist is, folks) from Microsoft that conspicuously ignores linux is just how much you’ve become like the IBM of old that you all dismissed back in the day as a sclerotic, disorganized mess, sacrificing new opportunities to protect old entrenched products. How much good MS technology is going to go to waste because the inferior Windows franchise needs to be protected? If you offered a version of Office for linux, half of your corporate desktop Windows licenses would disappear overnight. I know plenty of IT people who would drop Windows like a bad habit if Office was available for Linux. And you know it. We already have much better alternatives to Windows for IT-managed desktops – are you going to capitalize on the natural move to commoditized operating systems by making your other technologies and products like Office and .NET the standard there, or are you going to wait for those to be commoditized with free versions, too?

60. Andy World says:

News of the week. More shooting in school and it’s happen in Virginia Tech today. From the last time I heard from the news it’s standing at 29 deaths and what happen afterward I don’t reall know. Now let get on to car stuffs shall …

61. weefs says:

I’ll pass on this. MS is NOT a company you can trust when it comes to the web.

62. Boreras says:

wow, Mac + Windows make cross-platform? What’s next? Windows xp + windows 2k makes it cross-platform (not vista, because that is obviously incompatible with anything other than some (rare) parts of vista)?

BUT WE CAN RUN IT ON OUR APACHE SERVERS!!!1!!1

But doesn’t this interfere with your FUD campaigns? Won’t you sue us for running it?

"… of a Windows Vista Technical Evangelist"

ever heard of a paradox? Contradiction? Windows doesn’t go with Evanglist, FUD was invented and used way before Windows came along.

On the other hand, don’t let these comments get to you personally, I mean, somebody has to drop Fat Man.

63. Sam Gentile says:

64. WMV files? That’s great, but is it ONLY Windows Media format? If so, doesn’t that seem unbelievably short-sighted given the proliferation of MPEG-4 and AAC formats?

65. maddmike says:

Why is there no support for Opera?

66. Charles says:

This is gonna be a flop. You only support Windows and the Mac. What about Linux and BSD? Don’t claim it’s cross-platform please.

67. bob says:

why is there no support for opera?  why is there ONLY support for WMV format– are you guys seriously asking such stupid questions?

opera – not made by microsoft

mpeg4 – not made by microsoft

aac – not made by microsoft

etc

anyways despite how excited everyone sounds here, if i was a betting man, id put all my money on this outcome :

everyone continues using flash, in 6 months people are going "whats the silver thing from ms?"

68. honestAbe says:

You retards.  You should be putting your development money and effort into native SVG for IE and selling a user-friendly interface for dynamic SVG content instead of creating a whole new set of standards that nobody will care about or use.  SVG is the future, and this move will only further alienate Microsoft and IE from the web development community.

Who the hell has been coming up with your business plans lately?  You, and the guy behind Zune, should be fired.

69. Roger says:

Unless you support Opera and PC-BSD, I won’t use this new format and I won’t design any web site with this format.

70. SeaCloud9 says:

Does this mean youtube will use it instead of the flash plugin?

I personally think it is great that all the best features like the 3d features will make it to the apple?

I hear it integrates well with Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign!

I think I will STICK WITH FLASH 9, FLEX AND APOLLO…….

71. Andy says:

If Microsoft had released this 5-10 years ago I believe they would have stood a chance at grabbing market share from Flash (and now Flex).

But unfortunately for Microsoft I think this is a case of too little, too late.

I will be sticking with Adobe Flash/Flex unless something better comes along.

72. Craftkiller says:

No Linux, it will die. There is already flash for linux so therefore it will proliferate

73. m$hater says:

Why do you call it cross-platform if it doesn’r work on Linux?

74. Jai says:

If they want to be "cross platform" they should have a GNU/Linux client. GNU/Linux is not just a Geek toy, most of the people I know that use only GNU/Linux are novices, not just to GNU/Linux but to computers.

I love standards. I believe they are the foundation of the Internet, but they must be on GNU/Linux as well as Mac OS and Windows.

75. Brandon says:

Why isn’t there a version for Linux?

76. Microsoft hoy lanzó un nuevo formato y reproductor de video web que compite directamente contra Adobe Macromedia Flash y Apple Quicktime. Según Microsoft, su nueva tecnología que denomina Silverlight, es parecida a Flash en el sentido que se instala c

77. Mace Moneta says:

Adobe already has a product with wider customer base compatibility.  Why would anyone consider SilverLight?  To reduce their customer base?  To eliminate potential revenue?  To reduce customer satisfaction?  I’m not seeing a business reason to use this product over the (existing, established) competition.

Are these just short-term limitations?  Is there a roadmap to expand the platform compatibility?  If so, what timeframes are we looking at?

78. Tim Sneath says:

It’s been a busy day of announcements! Amidst the hubbub of the introduction of Silverlight, complete

79. brokencrystal says:

That’s great that it is for Mac and Windows…  I think you somehow forgot Unix/Linux.  Was that intentional?

80. ee says:

Q: Is Microsoft considering support for additional operating systems?

A: "Microsoft is gathering feedback from customers like you on Silverlight and to help determine which platforms should be supported in the future."

Microsoft, don’t ever claim Silverlight is "cross-platform" if you can’t support other OSes besides Windows and Mac: why the need to ask for further feedback when it is obvious?

81. Microsoft has taken the covers off it’s high-def Flash competitor, Silverlight. The browser plugin is available for Windows & Mac for IE, Safari & Firefox (but not Opera for some reason). It’s still only the February WPF…

82. Web.Next says:

Microsoft have announced Microsoft Silverlight, our next generation, cross platform, cross browser runtime

83. ScaryNoises says:

Hello to a clean, well-lit name and good riddance to the worst code name ever, "WPF/E". Well, IceWeasel and Brady Bunch weren’t stellar either but at least they were easier to type. Try typing "WPF/E" five times quickly and you’ll…

84. WTF? says:

At least they are "honest" that Sliverblight phones home WITH YOUR IP ADDRESS!

“WPF/E” (codename) will periodically ping Microsoft.com to verify its integrity (at which point the only information that will be communicated will be your IP address and the module version).

85. Sander says:

Flash will win this war, silverLight has less functionality and is 10 years behind.

86. What do you get if you give WPF/E a sexy new name and a sexy new logo (So so pretty!)? …. You get Microsoft

87. Annabelle says:

Not sure if this is the right place to remark, but I like to share my first experience. After reading the news, I went to the Microsoft Silverlight website (NOT http://www.silverlight.com ;), downloaded the "Silverlight Community Technology Preview for Mac (Feb 2007)", restarted Firefox and went back to the Silverlight website. Oh yes, gimme some "wow"! Where used to be a simple button to start the playback of the WMV appeared.. just an empty area. Instead of a Silverlight (sounds a lot like thunder and flashes?) object, as became obvious from the html-code. So much for Silverlight on Mac.. 🙁

88. You may or may not have noticed an announcement we made late on Sunday, so I thought I’d draw people’s

89. Taking a blog post down is never a good idea – and here’s why.

90. C# Nuggets says:

As has been blogged all over the place , WPF/E has been renamed Silverlight (Note: lower case 'L').

91. awjreynolds says:

RIA = Rich Internet Application NOT Rich Interactive Applications

You can’t just take an industry wide understood acronym and change it.

Anybody know any applications which are not interactive?

Bad Microsoft. Very Bad.

92. sbailey says:

Errrmmm I agree with most here and would not touch silverlight with my worst enemies computer.  Flash is the market leader here and like ronseal does what its says on the tin, Microsoft releases suck big time, poor imitators in todays market offering risky weak technology that only the uniformed or unknowledgable purchase.

Microsoft SUCK

93. Dave says:

I agree with HonestAbe 100%.  We need open, standard graphics vocabularies and protocols that live well and co-exist in the Web.  I posted about SVG yesterday but it never made the cut.  What good is a blog if they erase your stuff?  Sucks.

94. Yesterday we officially unveiled the name for what was previously known as the extremely catchy "WPF/e"

95. Microsoft has launched its WPF/E “Flash Killer,” first announced a year ago, complete with a jazzy new moniker: April 15, 2007 — Today at the 2007 National Association of Broadcasters conference (NAB2007), Microsoft Corp. unveiled Micr…

96. Eric says:

How can you call your software client-agnostic when it can’t even run on either the 2nd or 3rd largest platform (Linux)? C’mon guys, when you consider Macromedia and Adobe have ignored Linux for so long, wouldn’t you want to show them up by providing BETTER support for Linux than they do?

97. coolnalu says:

I only have a question regarding how MS is going to make it available cross browser. Has it been done? As my understanding, it wasn’t even natively supported by IE6.0 and 7.0 on Windows XP…sure it comes free on all Vista Machines though…And this is actually where the long term advantage Microsoft has.

When more and more people start using Vista, people would get a perception that WPF/e is integrated with Windows, and Flash Player is still a plug-in.

98. sk8ter says:

Kewl!  I just watched the video at http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight and it seems to be some sort of skateboard???

99. ekampf 2.0 says:

Microsoft used the National Association of Broadcasters conference this week to announce the new name

100. emf says:

That’s not cross platform.

There’s no linux client.

It’s a trojan horse to propagate yet another Microsoft "standard", for the explicit purpose of excluding linux.

I encourage you to prove me wrong.

101. ekampf 2.0 says:

102. Samiq says:

[…On Sunday at the NAB2007, Microsoft made public the release of Silverlight (formerly known as WPF/E) a new cross-browser, cross-platform plug-in for delivering the next generation of media experiences and rich interactive applications (RIA’s) for the Web…] Pingback from samiqbits

103. Can’t wait to use it!  Nice job Tim and team!

104. Alan Cobb says:

I’m all for free speech, but after reading all the comments here that don’t add much for someone like me who _is_ interested in Silverlight / WPF… It would be nice to have some kind of client-driven comment filtering to separate out the rude, abusive and repetitious stuff.  Maybe some kind of voting system, so future comment readers wouldn’t have to waste that time.  Can you imagine if a newspaper published _every_ letter that came to the editor?

Alan

105. develop .net says:

Microsoft Silverlight が正式に発表されました。これは、WPF(Windows Presentation Foundation)と同じテクノロジ(サブセット)を Web ベースで利用できるものです。Silverlight

106. Connor says:

Isn’t this just flash video for people who are lazy?

And who will download it? You have flash for games, animations and video and then you have java for games and everything else.

107. Jono says:

There was a lot of excitement about Silverlight in the IPTV area at NAB. Clearly this is not simply a flash replacement or attempted flash killer, there is a lot more going on.

Someone I spoke to said it has full support for DRM and allows much easier placement of markers for interactivity in the WMV encoding. The features Silverlight allows you to add to video (in & out of stream) are quite amazing and simple to use – the IPTV crowd reckon this will revolutionise what can be done now more simply on the set top boxes for those watching IPTV on a TV set. It will be a while, if ever, before you see Silverlight all over YouTube etc but it will certainly be ‘hidden’ in stuff you buy in Circuit City within a year.

108. Martin says:

Let’s wait and see how well the clients work and how fast it will be adopted. I guess if a site like youtube would settle to Silverlight, lots of people would install it, which would be a reason for other sites to use Silverlight as well (since there’s a big user base). Too bad, Google is owned by youtube and I don’t have to mention that Google doesn’t really like MS technology, do I?

But still, it’s very interesting to see some new competition to Flash. Adobe will have to incorporate some new features I guess!

109. k10 says:

This is a blessing for flash I think. It will spur on Adobe to build flash as a more robust/innovative product. Monopoly is never good for market place. Remember the state of "Internet Explorer" before Netscape came into the picture? I think this will do more harm to MS business-wise.

110. Boris Drajer says:

Jeez, interesting polarization here: half of the people are delighted by Silverlight while the other half is disgusted, and the technology has only been announced a couple of days ago ;). BTW, have you noticed this: in this case, Microsoft is actually boosting competition as Adobe was essentially the only game in town. That’s some twist.

As for the Linux plug-in: I believe it actually was mentioned by one of the presenters at MIX 06… If I’m right, it was at least considered, possibly kept as a surprise? In any case, Microsoft is not doing this cross-platform thing because Steve Ballmer has suddenly seen the light but because of the antitrust suit. They have to play nice, and if a minor thing such as a browser plug-in could convice the court, it would be a small price to pay.

111. Craig says:

Great.  We really need yet another product designed to lock users into using crappy Microsoft products.  And with all the effort MS has put into making their products either not work with, or intentionally work poorly with Linux, I can’t imagine this will ever have a Linux port.

I’m all for competition, so generally a Flash competitor would be welcomed.  But from Microsoft, I can’t help but wait for the nasty surprise to come out of this Trojan horse.

.Net was written as a proprietary competitor to Java, to lock people into Microsoft products.  .Net is only fully implemented in Windows; Java is fully implemented in many environments.

WMV is a proprietary a/v format controlled by Microsoft.

Silverlight uses .net and WMV–two proprietary technologies.  See a pattern?

Flash at least has MTASC and runtimes for multiple OSs / browsers.

Who knows.  Maybe Silverlight isn’t evil.  But since it’s coming from Microsoft, that’s my initial assumption.

112. coRank says:

A Vista evangelist talks about MS Silverlight.

113. David Walker says:

If its from Microsoft then it can’t be good for consumers.   This is just another example of anti-competitive, anti-consumer content protection.

If Microsoft really wants my support then they’ll start support linux.  The longer they fail to do so.. the more i’ll look for an alternative!

114. Sam Jackson says:

If you are unhappy with this product then Microsoft has provided a list of companies to start complaining too.  I’ve already emailed Netflix and told them that the moment this product debuts without excellent linux AND Mac support then my household will cancel 3 netflix subscriptions.

You know what to do..

115. gill bates says:

wpf/e.?!?! wtf!!!  great!!! i can use frontpage & silverlight..whheeeeeeeee…!!!

116. Tim Sneath says:

Although it was great to see that my post on Silverlight got picked up in a few places (in particular,

117. Shem Valentine says:

Microsoft isn’t getting it.  Their business model of locking consumers into their products is failing.  It worked marvelously for a decade when they _were_ the only suitable desktop offering, but that time has passed.  Consumers are now demanding options.  As of April 10, 2007 Dell has stated intentions to provide Linux preinstalled on it’s PCs.  There are already several articles pre Vista noting that MSFT is a sinking ship and unless it changes the way it does business it is dead in the water.  Vista has only proved this point more valid.

I’m no expert, but I believe MSFT should stop trying to maintain a stronghold on the desktop market, and get back to it’s roots as a Software company.   Focus on MS Office, and making it compatible and able to run Natively on all OS’s.  Had they done this a few years ago OpenOffice would not be near the contender it is now.  Stop copying GOOG and develop some truly ingenuitive Online Content, or purchase some start-ups.  Siverlight is a good step, but it needs to be truly cross platform as stated in other posts, as well as .NET.  They are about to find themselves in the same position with mono and .NET as they are with OpenOffice.

Obviously I am a Linux user, but I don’t hate MSFT as much as my counterparts.  They can still turn things around and maintain leadership in the technology business.  If they keep traveling down this road of forced dominance however, their going to end up on a dead end street.

118. Pete says:

OK I have a very important question.  In order for this to compete with Flash, it has to be linkable on other sites.  For example, can I create a "Slideshow" component and tell my users – Here is the HTML…"<embed….>"  stick it on your myspace profile and it will render.

Will this be possible?

If not then there is a problem.  I keep reading that this requires javascript.  Sites like myspace do not allow javascript embedded in the HTML.

If this can be linked on other sites like a flash embedable object can be, then this will be awesome.

So my question is:  Can an object like a Slideshow created in Silverlight be embeded on other sites that allow HTML but not javascript?

Thanks

Pete

119. yoavmorag says:

I want SVG too , hear that MS ???

120. Vidizer says:

I don’t see a single advantage over Flash.

As to its authoring suite, I’ve never seen ANYONE using Microsoft’s Expression studio for design. In addition, only a few sites are using exclusively WMV streaming despite the fact that the server is free as opposed to Flash Media Server. All in all, it’ll be a steep climb for Microsoft to get a piece of the action… too little, too late.

121. Jacek says:

I am tempted to ask if it will work on my Linux Ubuntu desktop, but forget it…I know to answer to that one already. I’ll stick with the x-platform Flash for now, thank you very much.

122. Groover says:

I welcome Silverlight.

Buzz and hype set evangelists on a full scale attack on clients selling them Silverlight with the possibility of two outcomes:

1. The product fails to be a worthy competitor to Flex/ Flash, and ultimately developers like myself get to convert useless Silverlight sites into Flex/ Flash sites in a few years time.

2. The product is a stable and well received competitor to Flex/ Flash. This is great because it means that the veteran of computer graphics Adobe will have to step up the competition somehow. Already the CS3 upgrade costs ~1.5x the amount Studio 8 cost from Macromedia and I’m sure this will be a steep trend until someone else enters the market place.

For a company that struggles with even releasing a browser that handles Javascript efficiently, I don’t see how that gives them any upper hand in building a new platform that pivots on it’s use of Javascript.

Lets all sit tight and see what happens.

~Groover

123. In case you missed it, Microsoft announced Microsoft Silverlight this week. This is mainly a rebranding…

124. Stupid says:

And when the client asks for a CDROM version of

the product you are screwed. Have fun doing the job twice.

Also XAML = No streaming. NO THANKS.

125. Andrew says:

So i went to the silverlight page, and the movie wouldn’t play… i figured maybe i needed the plug-in for it to work. I down loaded the plug-in. relaunch my browser… and the page still wouldn’t play the movie.

if Microsoft’s plug-in can’t play the movie on the page announcing it, why on earth would i expect it to play anything else and why should i leave this thing on my computer?

126. Ryu says:

Well, i wonder how long Silverlight will stay cross-platform. It’ll fade away on the Mac side over time, just like how WMP did. Microsoft is, NEVER, truely cross-platform, EVER.

127. beava says:

128. David Flood says:

Say, that icon looks quite similar to Mac OS X’s "Core" technology icins.

Microsoft – still addicted to ripping off _everything_ that Apple comes up with, even thirty years later?

129. hmmmmm says:

"I am glad they are not wasting time developing Silverlight for the 9 people using linux as a desktop."

Your denial humors me 😀

130. Chris Walker says:

Remember how Microsoft tried to exclude Java by creating its own, crippled version of the technology? Besides, Flash is already used in a great majority of online applications because it’s easy to "program" (that’s not the right word…err….design?) and powerful enough to perform complex tasks while remaining fast. However, with the advent of the 360 and cool DirectX tech, we know MS has a few things up its sleeve. My recommendation is to continue using your current system until Silverlight’s power shines through- or not. And by the way, the reason MS won’t produce SL for Linux is because it tries to deny mention of Linux. The corporate heads know any publicity is good =]

131. jim says:

The icon looks like a jockstrap to me

132. ekampf 2.0 says:

133. Yuzle! says:

I’ll pass on this. MS is not a company you can trust when it comes to the web.

134. Blog of Jitu says:

Tim Sneath (Musings of a Windows Vista Technical Evangelist), nice entry introducing Silverlight .

135. A lot happened whilst on holiday, and not least of which is Microsoft’s announcement about Silverlight

136. Tom Giebink says:

We need scriptcommand events and much more of the WinMedia Player Object model accessible from within Silverlight.  Right now the MediaElement just doesn’t cut it.  We can access scriptcommand events from WPF but NOT from WPF/E .  We control multimedia from the stream and this lack within Silverlight is about to force us to FLASH video as the only viable cross browser solution.  I’m very very interested in your reply to this issue.  I’ve tried to get an answer on the development forum ( http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1510234&SiteID=1&mode=1) but so far no one from MS has deigned to reply <sigh>

137. brudinie says:

The web should never be tied to proprietary systems. This attempt by M$ to further strengthen its monopoly is a disgrace. M$ cant create a standards compliant browser so instead it decides to make the web as proprietary as possible. Developers – beware!

138. It may just be an existing technology, but at least it has no longer got that stupid WPF/E name! SilverLight

139. TSK says:

Flash is never going to be indexable… It’s the main workaround Silverlight could fix…

About the lack of support for Unix and Linux environments, I would only say that the current product seems to remain in development (it’s a CTP) and such a release doesn’t need to be built for every OS or browser. I expect Microsoft to deliver, when they’ll reach a final version, the plugins for Linux, Unix, Opera, etc… Or maybe provide the open source community the foundations needed to create those plugins.

About the WMV support, I will say it’s not uncommon to support its own file formats… I expect that their product architecture will have enough flexibility to handle more filetypes, at least common file types (MPEG, AVI, QuickTime, DivX, MP3, AAC).

140. brian says:

Totally agree with all those saying it is not cross platform.

Take a look at NeoSwiff – it turns C# code into Flash and supports VS2005. Before anyone asks, no I’m not connected to that company.

Until MS wakes up to the fact that commercial developers and public projects NEED to support Linux (arguments of whether we WANT to do so aside) Flash will still be first professional choice for interactive content.

141. Matt says:

If #10, that you can’t reveal, is not a cross-platform standalone runtime to compete with Adobe Apollo, then Silverlight is already losing the battle.

142. Na época do anuncio oficial do Silverlight (codename "WPF/E") o Tim Sneath colocou em seu blog 10 razões

143. TH says:

All those people complaining about lack of Linux support. Have you seen any statement as to how Linux will *NOT* be supported? I haven’t.. Also, an open source implementation will no doubt appear sooner or later if this grabs hold of the market, whether or not a MSFT Linux client is available. Just like it happend with Java until they decided to go open source. Only this will be easier, since the technology is simpler.

144. Balki says:

Awesome work. Again a very informative and useful post. Thanks.

145. Your personal freedom - says:

Kill, Kill, Kill Silverlight! NOW – Make EVERY attempt to KILL it!

It is important for EVERY computer user worldwide to make sure SILVERLIGHT dies a FAST death. It’s a "lockin" technology from the world’s worst thieves and most dishonest company… "Microsoft".

If you see it installed on ANY machine, Kill It. If you see someone talking about it, make sure they know it’s from Microsoft, and not something they want within 700 miles of them.

Silverlight must be destroyed at every turn. Do your part to make sure it never sees the light of day. If you see it used on a Webpage, be sure the Webmaster knows this will NOT BE Tolerated, and anyone using Silverlight will be blacklisted within the Web community.

Do your part to keep the Web FREE… Thanks!

146. Enrico says:

Oh my god!! did you alert the president???

douche.

147. Your REAL personal freedom says:

No Linux support – great, the more people Microsoft get off Linsux the better!  What’s Linux anyway? There’s something like over 100 distributions.

The less support for this disorganized disease the better.  Windows OS might upgrade every few years, but it seems there’s a new Linux distribution every month!

148. PFFF says:

shiny! i’m going to one-way startrek-"download" my linux kernel into it’s own /dev/null and get right on this silverlight thing. seriously – xaml/.net/etc are second-rate protocols/languages/apis.  using them not only limit the width of your expression because of the shear inadequacy of the microsoft approach to programming (powershell — an interactive shell — with static typing. my fingers hurt just thinking about it), but it locks the result of your efforts into a format whose primary/defacto implimentation is proprietary… just admit up front that you won’t have anything to show for your next 6 years of programming an ms language/living the "microsoft lifestyle" and you might not regret it so much in 2013 when they don’t support it anymore. doesn’t microsoft control enough of your data? how many of you have your resumes in .doc format?

in short — i take offence to enrico. your personal freedom is worth taking seriously.

149. Juice says:

Yeah what’s the point. Flash works great and does everything we need it to. Quit bloating everything. This better not come down the Windows Update pipe.

Why doesn’t freakin M$ pay the cash to get rid of the "click to activate and use this control" shite first?! If their so concerned about our media interaction experience get rid of that annoying crap.

150. Will says:

Still waiting to hear how this even COMPETES with flash, let alone kills it.

It won’t.

And yes PROGRAM is a good word for flash scripting.

151. Jim C. says:

Looks great for video and rich applications. But, let’s all keep a level head here people. Silverlight content can’t be seen by search engines. So, any website that uses Silverlight (or Flash for that matter) needs to use it sparingly, or for Video only.

152. קשה לומר שעד היום היה למיקרוסופט מה לומר סביב פיתוח עבור Web2.0 (מה שזה לא יהיה). כמעט כל אתר Web 2.0

153. Dan says:

No linux support = big mistake.

No data binding = big bummer.

154. Jason says:

Sigh, so many trolls on this thread… Despite having an extensive (10 years) open source background, Microsoft was kind enough to invite me to Mix07 to learn more about what they have in the works. I was simply blown away by Silverlight, it’s easily the most compelling technology they’ve released since .NET. No word on whether it would run on Linux yet (frankly I’m not sure why Microsoft should bother) however they’ve already announced IronPython and IronRuby support, so it’s a start. In summary, this is good stuff, don’t knock it until you take a look at it. -Jason

155. Yang Yang says:

Just tried out beta 1.0 SDK, it’s really simple and straightforward, basing on the currently widely accepted technologies to do as much as Flash.

It’s exciting!

156. SilverLight says:

SilverLight will support Linux version according to Miguel De Icaza, one of prominent author of Mono Project. So it is true that SilverLight support Linux. At the same time, SilverLight 1.1 Alpha extensible to support multiple language.

157. chuck says:

Would love to try it but I work at a National Laboratory; Of the 10,000 employees 28% are on unix/linux.

158. Sixty Four says:

No XP x64 version?  How about 64-bit Vista?

159. eyesonly says:

now that MS supports OSX I guess we can all forget bid a fond "hasta la Vista" Vista

160. Terry says:

Tim – how does Silverlight sit with ASP.Net and AJAX? Do you see them as complimentary technologies, with wilverlight providing the rich media capabilities that these two are lacking?

161. KarlB says:

I would say if it runs on MAC OSX and Windows platforms – you have already captured 98%+ of the desktop browser OS platforms in the market.

Linux and Unix are traditionally server-side operating systems. If the long proclaimed day arrives when Linux becomes a mainstream desktop OS (it’s been proclaimed for 10 years now), I no doubt believe Microsoft will release a version for Linux.

But since that day is still in the future – I don’t know why anyone would forgo ease of development and competition in the market based on the fact SilverLight does not currently support what is currently a server-side OS such as Linux.

162. They stole my creative name!!!!

163. psyphen says:

Awesome effort. This gives developers more choice when wanting to deliver rich media content. Freedom of choice is what makes Linux so wonderful.

164. David says:

Yknow…I’m thinking this might be the first thing Microsoft has made in a while that isn’t just "keeping up with the joneses"…it’s SURPASSING the joneses.

165. jabba says:

HELP!!! I’m a flash animator and I can’t make a simple little cartoon with this! How dare they call it a flash killer! I’m trying out expression blend 2, and they couldn’t have made it anymore confusing. Where’s the brush tool? Where are the frames on the timeline? CHARGLEBERRY SAUCE!!!

166. annoyed web accessible guy says:

It is always interesting at how Microsoft considers a universal cross-browser to mean Windows Internet Explorer only, much like how many americans consider America to be the world (seriously guys, there’s more to the world than America).

Let’s not be obtuse, let open our eyes, and lets build the web to be what it was designed to be, universal.  Anything less, and I see it as arrogant as telling a blind man to look where he’s walking…..

167. I spoke to Noelle Waugh from B &amp; T today. It was the first time I had spoken to anyone from B &amp;

168. I’m impressed with the marketing claims, but I can’t build a very compelling reason for our development team to take a gamble on this technology while our current clients demand results.

Part of the disclaimer you have to sign prior to downloading Silverlight is that MS may not continue to support this.  I understand hedging, but we have to stick to flash/flex until this gets further support from Redmond.

Looking forward to an alternative to Flash media server… a better and more cost effective alternative that is.

169. David says:

It would be really cool if someone could post a couple of links to sites where we can see it ikn action. The video’s are all cool, but still video’s. I would love to see Silverlight in action in IE 7.0.

170. Blogs says:

My sixtieth podcast is up . We discuss &quot;Web 2.5&quot; as Silverlight (ne WPF/E) is announced. Seems

171. Silverlight: A jump back in time

172. Microsoft changed the name of WPF/E to Microsoft Silverlight. This has to be the first time I&#39;ve seen Microsoft go from a production-like name (WPF/E) to a codename (Silverlight). I guess they figured they needed something nicer than the usual jargon.

173. .Net says:

What is Silverlight and why is it useful?

174. Tim Sneath : &quot; It is with tremendous pleasure that I can reveal Microsoft Silverlight : our next-generation, cross-platform, cross-browser web client runtime. Silverlight (previously codenamed &quot;WPF/E&quot;) is a lightweight subset of XAML for

175. rbfigueira says: