Windows Vista Secret #5: Running Quick Launch Items

Saw this posted on one of the internal forums today, and I thought this was something that was worth sharing. If you’re a keyboard junkie, you’ll love this.

Do you have a few applications that you’re always firing up? Would you like a system-wide keyboard shortcut to run them? Here’s what you do. Simply add shortcuts to the Quick Launch toolbar, as shown in the screenshot below.

Now you can simply use Win+1, Win+2, Win+3 and so on to launch each application. For example, on my machine, Win+3 launches Notepad and Win+6 launches the VS command prompt. This works no matter what application has the focus.

More coolness coming your way soon, courtesy of Windows Vista!

1. Anonymous says:

Thanks for these secrests. They’re great. Please continue.

2. geraintj says:

Hi Tim,

Did I dream it or was there some kind of quick launch toolbar in the Windows Vista sidebar in a previous beta to RC1? If so, has this been shelved or is it likely to reappear in a later version? Or maybe even I should get my head around writing sidebar gadgets?? 🙂

Geraint Jones

3. Anonymous says:

What happen if I want to launche de 11th application(10th is probably Win+0)

4. Anonymous says:

Right on!

5. Anonymous says:

OMG! so *THAT* is why my WinKey mappings for Windows+1 – Windows+n weren’t working. Thanks, Tim. 😉

6. Anonymous says:

Arrrgh! This only works if the Quick Launch toolbar is *visible*, yet the Windows+number key combination is silently and inexorably consumed by Vista *even if the Quick Launch toolbar isn’t visible*.  Can this be fixed before final?

I just can’t justify sacrificing prime toolbar pixel real estate for a KEYBOARD SHORTCUT. That’s.. insanity. Either give me my Windows+number keys back, or let me map Windows+anything in the shortcut properties (right now I’m limited to annoying, carpal-tunnel-inducing Ctrl+Alt).

7. Anonymous says:

8. Anonymous says:

Tim Sneathが彼のブログで「Windows Vista Secret」という連載(?)をやっています。役に立ちそうなものもあるので、ここでタイトルだけ日本語化して紹介します。詳細は(英語ですが)リンク先を見てください。

9. Anonymous says:

When I use Win+1, Win+2, etc., instead of executing the program that the shortcut points to, it opens the shortcut’s properties window.  Any idea why?

10. Anonymous says:

OK, so you’ve just decided that WPF is the strategic technology of choice for your next-generation application,

11. Anonymous says:

12. Anonymous says:

[via Tim Sneath]Base Environment Windows Vista, of course! (although I’ll concede that Windows XP Service…

13. Anonymous says:

14. Anonymous says:

摘要: Tim Sneath又一篇经典WPF贴,让我们能够了解WPF顶级开发人员平时用哪些工具、看哪些示例、有哪些独门秘笈,虽然这篇文章不长,但确实很有用,看了就明白了:) 有翻译得不好的地方还请指出!

15. Anonymous says:

.kbd {font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;padding:5px 3px;white-space:nowrap;color:#000;background

16. Anonymous says:

在我中学开始学计算机的时候,键盘和主机上的按钮对我来说就是最直观的可操作的计算机部件,还记得那时候老师就是让我们从记忆Caps Lock、Enter、Shift、Ctrl、,Tab、Alt等键以及其中的某些组合起来的作用开始学起的。后来接触得越多了,就更习惯使用鼠标,“指哪儿打哪儿”,更方便。而键盘上的快捷键更多的是用在“系统级”的操作中,如Ctrl+Alt+Tab打开任务管理器、Win+R打开“运行”、F1打开 “帮助”等。其实用快捷键操作,无论是操作还是系统的反应速度,比用鼠标更为节省时间,但是由于不同的应用程序有不同的操作选项,除了F1、Ctrl+