I’m Leaving Microsoft…

This job has been the most enjoyable I’ve had in my professional career so far, but after four years of great fun, working with some great people and learning a huge amount, I’ve reluctantly decided it’s time for a new challenge. I’ve therefore handed in my notice here at Microsoft Limited in the UK and am heading off for pastures new. I shall miss the MSDN Roadshows, the ISV labs, and just generally being part of the UK development community: I’ve learnt far more from many of you than I was ever able to impart, and shall have many happy memories.

The bad news for those of you hoping to see the back of me for good is that I’m leaving Microsoft in the UK, only to join the mothership: Microsoft Corporation, over in “rainy” Redmond. I’ve taken up a job working in the Longhorn Client Evangelism team working on WinFX and Longhorn, as well as the PDC. It’s a huge move, as you can imagine – packing up or selling all our belongings, saying goodbye to much-loved friends and family, leaving almost everything we know behind for the western frontiers. But the job itself is a fantastic opportunity and I’m really relishing the chance to work on some emerging technologies that I think will create the most exciting developer opportunities since at least the launch of .NET 1.0.

My last day with Microsoft UK is the 7th October, and I start in Redmond the week after. I’ll continue blogging of course, but you’ll see gradually fewer topics on Yukon and gradually more topics on WinFX and Longhorn. I look forward to keeping in touch with many of you, nevertheless: I’m on IM and email as tims@microsoft.com and that will continue in my new role.

Thank you again for all the fun, and see you at the next PDC!

1. Dag Konig says:

And will the next one be? PDC? Could you tell us something about that?

/dag

2. Congratulations Tim! I hope I’ll see you before you go, but if not – see you in Redmond.

Niels

3. > leaving almost everything we know behind for the western frontiers.

Just watch out for those Indians and remember never to leave the wagon train.

4. Derek Lakin says:

Congratulations Tim! Good for you. Wish I was coming with you 😉

5. Congrats!

Wondered what the big news was yesterday and now I know.

Ciaran

6. Good luck. You were the best bit at the MSDN Roadshows so they better find a good replacement!

7. Anonymous says:

Congratulations Tim, you are doing what I failed to do and I am happy for you. The move Im sure will be a real wrench, the reason I decided not to continue to seek MS employment was we had a son and couldnt handle not having family to help (and if they would have me now of course !). So this is a brave move.

Redmond wasnt that rainy, compared to the midlands any way and I went in october. It did smell of cooking oil. I remember arriving and being surrounded by beautiful conifer forests and all I could smell was chip fat, for three days, it made me feel constantly sick. But it goes away and your left with stunning scenery a fantastic quality of life over there to. But you probably know all this already.

Make you you put up some photos on the blog to show us all what we are missing.

Well done again and good luck trying to convince the business world that high-end PC’s with 3d graphics cards are the way forward 😉 (he he he).

8. Dave Clarke says:

Wow! Nice one Tim. A big move as you say, but one which is no doubt an excellent career move. Hopefully we’ll see you as an "invited keynote speaker" over here at a UK MSDN event in the future 😉

9. Thomas Lee says:

Best of luck in the new position – and don’t forget us over here. Your blog has been an outstanding read, and I hope you continue to make it so good.

I’ll miss you!

10. Daniel Moth says:

Good Luck! Thanks for supporting the UK devs as well as you have!

11. Tim, I wish you all the best in Redmond!

12. Dave Verwer says:

Congratulations Tim! All the best with your new position…

13. Gary says:

Hello Tim,

You were probably the first MSFT in .NET I ever met at one of the roadshows. It is ashame to see you go to the USA. Good luck over there.

Gary

14. andyBlog says:

MSFT UK’s Tim S is off to new pastures

15. Good luck! Hope you continue your blog..